Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 with the OEM xenon in the reflector housings, non-bixenon. I was just wondering if in the newer, for example 2005, with bixenon projectors, the headlights are aimed higher. If I were to compare the two straight horizontal lines where the cutoff is, are the bixenons supposed to be at a higher height? The regular reflector xenon has an angled cutoff at the ends, --/ instead of bixenon with ---, so I'm just curious how the two compare in aiming height. Looking at the straight horizontal cutoffs of each.

Thanks!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Not sure about this, but you can actually change the way the cutoffs are in let's say, the 02 headlights by adjusting the nob on top of the low beams. The one inbetween the two beams adjust for height.

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lynn - 5/1/2005 12:05 PM

The height of the horizontal cutoff should be the same regardless of bulb type.
Ermm. Doh. I guess my headlights are pointing way too low. I was comparing it to a 2005 with bixenon and noticed mine was at a much lower height. I assumed it was because the 02 reflector has an angled cutoff on the right side, so it is aimed lower to prevent blinding. I guess I should aim it higher so that the flat horizontal cutoff height matches that of the bixenon.

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Here's how to aim your headlights vertically. Adjust the air pressure in the tires to the correct level. Find a level floor or lot and a verical wall. Have someone sit in the driver's seat and have the car loaded the way you normal drive it. Carefully measure the height of the center of the headlights (low beams). Mark this height on the wall at two points and connect the points with masking tape. Park the car so that the headlights are 25' from the wall. There should still be someone sitting in the driver's seat. Turn on the lights and see where the horizontal cutoff is in relation to the tape. Adjust so that the cutoff is 2" below the tape.

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DO you compensate for the height difference if the car is lowered? If the car is lowered like an inch, would you point it almost an inch higher?

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
No. You would only make a slight compensation if the car is raked. My car is much lower in the front, so I had to raise the lights somewhat. If it is lowered about the same front and rear, just follow the normal instructions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts