Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so this is maybe a little OT, but since I've been posting all kinds of random questions over here to you guys, whats one more :) ? Anyhow, just spent the entire day getting the 117 ready to go into the 201 (or maybe the other way around actually).....and I guess doubts about all kinds of different components have just started compiling in my mind. It feels like its just going to be a crapshoot whether or not this thing actually works......maybe its just my exhaustion, or nerves or something, but there just seems to be way too many "ifs" involved in this whole swap. Anyone have any words of advice? Its well beyond the point of no return, so I'm not looking to back out......just wondering if anyone who has been here has any pearls of wisdom to impart on a newb like me?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Patience

Take your time, I just replaced my engine. (M103) It was the same engine, except for the fact it had a smog pump. So instead of the one day job I had planned for it turned into two and a half.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Don't fret...it's always the nerve racking as one Really delves into things. Rest assured and know it can be done. Plan out every detail you can, do it two, three times if necessary. The time that you 'feel' like your wasting will actually make the job go That much smoother:)

And remember you'll have one Badass 190 when you're done!!

Jono

·
66,894 Posts
Hey I might be getting a 190E too and possibly have a M119 installed in there. There is a thread on this in OT

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,254 Posts
Okay, so this is maybe a little OT, but since I've been posting all kinds of random questions over here to you guys, whats one more :) ? Anyhow, just spent the entire day getting the 117 ready to go into the 201 (or maybe the other way around actually).....and I guess doubts about all kinds of different components have just started compiling in my mind. It feels like its just going to be a crapshoot whether or not this thing actually works......maybe its just my exhaustion, or nerves or something, but there just seems to be way too many "ifs" involved in this whole swap. Anyone have any words of advice? Its well beyond the point of no return, so I'm not looking to back out......just wondering if anyone who has been here has any pearls of wisdom to impart on a newb like me?
I recommend a six pack of Pilsner Urquell and a good movie.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha...yeah, I should down a six pack or maybe more tonight....then maybe I wouldn't feel my busted knuckles, sore back (what moron came up w/ the fusebox design for the 201 anyways), or aching hand (too much crimping).

I would love to take my time, but that is also part of the issue. I have about 6 weeks to get the thing not only finished, but somewhat broken in as well....or at least a couple extended shake down runs. That is what is seriously wearing on me....

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Dont try and think about the job as a whole ,break it down into parts and work your way through it. Its easy to try and work things out in your head and make it feel impossable but you wont know whats hard and whats not untill youre actually doing it ... Dead lines are the best way to make an exciting fun project into a stressfull task.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
If you're having trouble with the fusebox, just leave the backspring of for now.
Just do it once when you are convinced you're ready.
I did that on my nephew's 190.

gr J

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you're having trouble with the fusebox, just leave the backspring of for now.
Just do it once when you are convinced you're ready.
I did that on my nephew's 190.

gr J
oh I got it in....haha.....just after a lot of yelling, banging, and more yelling. My voice is still hoarse from the install. I hope to never ever do that again.....without a doubt, this was the worst part of the entire swap

1 - 11 of 11 Posts