Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a while i brought my car to a mechanic saying it was in stunning condition. I was overwhelemed with excitement. Now i come to find out some of the front steering is wack the trottle linkage is about shot. and not to mention rust running up and down my car rotting it away. long story short about 1000 to fix all the rust most of my drainage wholes are clogged and my battery plate rusted threw the firewall(im guessing its called) cause a rusty sitiation all down in my floorboards of my car. thus 1000 for rust repair. and also another 1200 for fixing front right brake, return lines, trottle linkage, tierods. does 1200 sound liek a fair price for just these things? i think thats all he's fixing but im not completely sure. i know you guys cant tell me if the rust repair is fair because I myself am no sure how bad it is. Thank

·
Registered
83 300d turbo, 79 c123 AMG
1,870 Posts
If he just did tierods, 1200 sounds quite steep. If he did balljoints and bushing it might be fair, but it sounds steep. Try and get a complete list of everything done and broken down to price.

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,161 Posts
If you bought the parts and did it yourself:

Front brakes : $30
Return lines : $15
Throttle linkage : $50 (guessing)
Tie rods : $75-$100
Battery tray : $50

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
list of things iknow hes going to do....
price he quoted could be more 1200 he said

1. tierods
2. only one bushing (driver side)
3. trottle linkage
4. i think both brakes but could be only one i think
5. changing gasket for header.
6. tune up also
7. Thats all i can think of, but this being said does this sound even remotly reasonable. he's a mechanic that works on a lot of older cars and i was recommend to him by my trusty mechanic.

·
Registered
83 300d turbo, 79 c123 AMG
1,870 Posts
Sounds way over priced. What is he doing to the brakes? New calipers, then maybe the price is close to almost reasonable, but if not, don't let him do it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im an idiot the reason i brought him it to him in the first place was the master clutch cylinder. so he'll be replacing that also. and i think its just the brake itself. i actually gave him the go head and gave him a 650 deposite. im going to get the rust quoted somewhere else befor i let him touch it. My trusty mechanic recommended me to him so i dont think hes ripping me to much....at least i hope not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts