Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
W212 E350: AMG Sport/P2/Pano/Etc. & '09 Chevy Malibu / Sold M-B's: '06 E350 & '02 S500
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well no more than a few weeks into owning it, I guess I *hopefully* just had to get it out of the way. I was driving through intense fog for about 5 Miles on the Highway, like the kind where you can't see anything but some blurred red taillights maybe 150 Ft. in front of you. All of a sudden toward the end of it, the Check Engine Light comes on. However, the Malfunction Screen still reads "No Malfunction", is there any chance this is just a fluke situation??

Also two side questions, the "SOS" button, do you need a Phone Service connected to have it work? I just realized the button the other day, and after opening and closing it, I think the little plastic door broke while it's shut, as it wont open anymore when I click it.

And for anybody running AMG 18" Rims, or any 18's I guess, what PSI do you set your car at, especially for Highway driving, I've got 'em at 35-36 PSI.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
1,335 Posts
Never heard of such. Maybe it didn't like the fog. I've never seen a "check engine" light on my car--are you sure it was that rather than some other indicator light? In the two instances where my car has lit up with something wrong, it has given me a very specific diagnosis message. Are you due for service? Click the upper left toggle until it gives you the "miles to service" screen and see if that's it. I would think you would at least get a malfunction screen even without a diagnosis.

Yes, you need phone service for SOS--when you start the car, it should tell you SOS is not active (at least it does on my '04). You can push the button, but you'll do better to stand up and yell for help out the sun roof.

Can't offer any advice on the tire pressure. 18" rims were an option for my car, so there is a tire pressure recommendation for 18s on the driver's door post. I'd say 35 is a little high--my 17s are recommended at 29F and 32R. Most of the folks in this forum recommend you use MBZ pressures, but I guess you can do whatever you like.

Good luck with the light thing.

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Wow, what a surprise. Who would have ever thought an 01 S500 would set off a check engine light?

aaaah.....behold the quality and reliabilty of the starmarked Chrysler.

·
Registered
W212 E350: AMG Sport/P2/Pano/Etc. & '09 Chevy Malibu / Sold M-B's: '06 E350 & '02 S500
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks DrJfrmLA. I'll check the Service thing when I get to the car, but if I remember correctly I'm like 8-9K from it I think (last owner had recently done it). Oil changes are at around 10K for these things I assume then?? That's about the what Service guy I spoke to said, basically when it says get an Oil Change is when I gotta bring it in.

So basically your saying, with these cars if anything is wrong, it should show up as a malfunction?? That's what I was assuming which gives me a bit of hope that maaybe it's a fluke.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW, the car's got 150+K Miles on it if that helps any.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah, but it's immaculate, by far cleaner and in better/stronger condition than any I looked at with over half the miles, I have every service record for it since it was new (same Dealer), so I know what's gone on with it, and got it for a good enough deal, I could run up a service-repair tab high enough to turn me off to it, and still sell it for more than I got it, so I'm happy with the purchase.

I'm just hoping the problems don't add up fast enough to take too much of my energy 'cause I don't have enough left over from my profession to give, but I love it enough to deal with any issues right now, and this is an awesome place to learn about the Car.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
With those miles and the service records you have, pretty much everything that typically goes bad on the '00-'03 S-class vehicles probably has and has been replaced with the next gen parts, so I imagine you won't have any real surprises except the effects of miles. The gen 1 W220 cars had airmatic problems in particular and a fair number of other usual "new series" glitches that were mostly sorted out by the end of '03, so the '04-'06 (gen 1.5, I guess) models are generally less problematic from new than the early ones.

Welcome to Benzworld. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks in these forums who will help with problems if they can and will do it with good spirit. There are also a few bullies and poseurs who bring joy into their small empty lives by insulting you for no reason. Just ignore them like we've learned to do.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Sorry, I didn't answer your question. My car tells me what's going on ("tire pressure monitor malfunction," for example) and whether the car needs to be stopped and towed or can be driven until repaired. I have only had my car a few months, and my two malfunctions were not serious (tire pressure monitor and a burned out bulb), but the owner's manual makes it clear that you won't mistake a serious problem warning. It hasn't given me an ambiguous warning yet. I don't know the '01s, but I'm pretty sure if anything fragmentary was about to happen under the hood, it would have let you know.

You may just have a loose gas cap.

Don't ignore it, though. In my area Auto Zone will read your codes for free and tell you what the malfunction is. Maybe there's a parts store in NV that will do the same.

·
Registered
My Benz: 04 S430
1,219 Posts
Never heard of such. Maybe it didn't like the fog. I've never seen a "check engine" light on my car--are you sure it was that rather than some other indicator light? In the two instances where my car has lit up with something wrong, it has given me a very specific diagnosis message. .

Good luck with the light thing.
Keep living you will...

Check engine light means there is something wrong in the emissions system.. It has nothing to do with Fog for sure..And will not set a malfunction on the MFD most of the time.
This is because the items that will set off a C/E light are not registered on the Canbus as faults.

A common item that will set off the light is topping off your fuel tank, or not letting the gas cap click to indicate it is tight enough..

Otherwise you have to have it looked at to find out what's causing the light.It could be anything. But Fog? I don't think so.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm, I did top of the Fuel pretty good, but that was about 2 hours (4 hour drive) before it came on. If so, is it something that I should be worried about (topping off the fuel)? I'm gonna go and re-click the Gas Cap too.

Good to know about Autozone, I'll probably stop by there if they could do that with my car.

Also, if the C.E light is indeed a fluke (Gas Cap, topping off, etc.), would it stay on for a while, or go off exactly when, for example, I tighten up the Gas cap?

·
Registered
My Benz: 04 S430
1,219 Posts
Hmm, I did top of the Fuel pretty good, but that was about 2 hours (4 hour drive) before it came on. If so, is it something that I should be worried about (topping off the fuel)? I'm gonna go and re-click the Gas Cap too.

Good to know about Autozone, I'll probably stop by there if they could do that with my car.

Also, if the C.E light is indeed a fluke (Gas Cap, topping off, etc.), would it stay on for a while, or go off exactly when, for example, I tighten up the Gas cap?
It will clear eventually.. the last time I did that.. it took a long time.. like 100 miles..

I know sometimes we get all warm anf fuzzy and want to fill our tanks to the very brim before taking a trip and all but make sure when you fill your tank and the pump stops the first time just leave it Don't try to force that extra gas in there. If fuel gets spilled into your evaporator line you will get a light and it will not clear until all of the fuel AND fumes have dissipated from the canister.

Thee should be a note about this on the sticker inside of your fuel door.

Hopefully this is all that happened to you.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,952 Posts
The "SOS" light, the "wrench" button, and the "I" (Information) button are all part of your Tele-Aid system.

First, Tele-Aid is a subscription service. If you don't subscribe, those won't help you.

Second, cars through the '04 model year (and some even after) were built with analog Tele-Aid equipment. The analog cellular network on which they worked was deactivated across the U.S. this past February. Analog Tele-Aid service was discontinued this past January.

Last, there is a digital retrofit available for most affected cars; pricing varies from about $600 to over $1,000, depending on the length of subscription you choose, and the level of service. See http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1338938-malfunction-displayed.html, and check for later updates on the MBUSA website if interested.

There are various opinions posted on the forum as to whether Tele-Aid is worth the cost. Personally, I like the automatic reporting of GPS position upon an airbag deployment. Some have successfully recovered their stolen cars using one of the service options. Some like the concierge services. The search tool will show more.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It will clear eventually.. the last time I did that.. it took a long time.. like 100 miles..

I know sometimes we get all warm anf fuzzy and want to fill our tanks to the very brim before taking a trip and all but make sure when you fill your tank and the pump stops the first time just leave it Don't try to force that extra gas in there. If fuel gets spilled into your evaporator line you will get a light and it will not clear until all of the fuel AND fumes have dissipated from the canister.

Thee should be a note about this on the sticker inside of your fuel door.

Hopefully this is all that happened to you.
Awesome, last night when I got in my car it was not on, really happy about that! So yeah, I've learned my lesson, I'm never forcing any more Gas into that that Tank again! I've already done it twice, glad I learned that it is indeed bad to do though. Thanks again.

And thanks for that info Skylaw!

Have any of you guys driven around 250-300 Mile trips in your S's? If so, what's your MPG for the Trip usually state? I dunno how accurate those things are, as with mine it seems to take 4 hours just to get from 5MPG (at the start) to about 21-22 where it ends up (usually still climbing), but with good conditions, I make the drive with just a tad under 1/2 Tank left which about exactly as good, if not a bit better than my old Maxima did (of course more Gas goes into the S5.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I'm averaging 22 mpg in mixed driving over about 3000 miles. The trip calculator in the machine calculates a "running average" but I don't know what the algorithm is. It will also give you instantaneous mpg, and average for the your current trip. Neither of those is very useful, although it reports that I'm getting 27-28 at 80 mph on the interstate with the cruise on. It claimed 30 for a short really flat stretch, but I'm not taking that to the bank. Remember I have a 430 with the 7-speed transmission, so it's likely more thrifty than yours.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ahh, yeah I'm assuming the 7 Speed can't hurt MPG's.

Mine seems to take forever getting up from the average of slow driving and idling which obviously takes it down. I should try and Reset it as I'm driving on the Freeway like you did, that seems a better way to maybe get a more accurate description.

·
Registered
01 S500
3 Posts
Hey K-A, I just purchased an 01 s500 as well, I have 123K on mine. I'm not sure what your service records show, but I went ahead and did a pretty good tune up on it - oil, transmission fluid and filter, fuel filter, air filters and will be doing the spark plugs soon. I'm very happy with it and hopefully it'll be good to me, just a little worried about the airmatic suspension since I see small cracks on top of the struts.
Without this site I don't think I would have been able to do anything on it.
As far as the gas mileage I'm getting around 24mpgs on the highway, which I think is pretty good for a big car like that.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
You can get the instantaneous and current trip mileage without resetting the trip odometer. Click the lower left toggle until it shows you all the mileage information and you should get all that information off that screen or the screen before or after.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool, I'll try that, thanks.

Hey KonradL, congrats on the car. Yeah I was gonna do that, but when I called the guy who's serviced the car since 2002 and asked him if I should do all those things, he said they're all "up to date" since the last owner would take the car to the Dealership and they'd do everything recommended....I'm hoping he's right, but he sounds like an honest guy. Plugs, Filters and Fluids I was really concerned about.

Yeah, a few things I remember him saying that had been repaired were the Tranny (replaced) at 80K miles which the owner apparently was pissed about, but they said they replaced it so I was happy about that. He said one of the Struts were just replaced, and some other Electrical stuff due to water leaking into the CD Changer had been repaired.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,952 Posts
I don't recall if my '00 functioned the same way, but my '05 trip computer has two sets of readouts: One measures miles, time, mileage and average speed since last reset, and the other measures from the last start.

To my experience, if you use the measures from last reset, and you haven't reset the computer for a time, the readings change very slowly. If you reset it, mileage goes through a search that will read high and low, but settle out after a short time. The other readings are accurate from the time of reset.

The measures from last start are zeroed out if the car is off for some brief time (10 minutes, if I recall properly), and work similarly to the way they do after reset.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts