Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My '97 has the 3 separate taillight white reflector areas - 2 are built into the bottom of the taillight lenses, and then there's that long horizontal piece.

I just recently replaced the left lens (new - original had a BB-like hole in it) and quickly noticed that its bottom white piece is a silvery-white, while the other two older pieces are a pink-white.

Is that the color they get with age? The new lens really stands out. The top of both lenses, where the yellowlights are, both have the same silver-white color, so that piece evidently doesn't discolor. And in addition to the discoloration, there are little cracks in the plastic, which is to be expected.

I'm going to buy the long piece sooner than planned now, but then the right will then be the odd piece. Might as well buy it now too. Oh, and the left's backup rectangle is clearer.

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes-Benz S420 (W140), 1997 BMW 740iL (E38), 2011 C300 Luxury (W204)
1,314 Posts
I think they fade to a pinkish color. I've seen some some W140s next to mine that were more silver, and others are slightly less pink. So my guess is they discolor to that.

If you can out where to get the center piece, let me know. I'll replace mine as well, since mine are moldy too.

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far I have only found it new here, for $107.87 : PeachParts FastLane Mercedes Parts Store

Click on the following (assuming yours is '95 S420 - comes up the same for mine, '97 S320):

S420
Body Electrical
Tail Light Lens - Center

·
Registered
2007 ML 350 Iridium Silver/ Ash (Sold)
568 Posts
I have a 1996 W140 S320LWB with the "pink-ish" rear tailights and center strip ( orange color turn signals).
I purchased a new center strip from my MBZ parts department because the rubber gasket was brittle and falling apart. When the part arrived, it was silver and not pink, of coarse that would not do, so I asked the parts manager to look into the color difference for me. Here is the outcome, the center strip has the same part number, USA model years 1995-1999. ( facelift lights 95-96 orange turnsignals, 97-99 clear turnsignals) sometime late 1996 the "pink" bottom taillights and center strip manufacturer for MBZ switched to or was replaced with an other company that supplied MBZ with only the "silver" bottom tailights and center strip. So, if you order new tailights and center strip,you can only get the newer silver color replacement. For now, I had Eddie send me a pink strip from a donor car.

·
Registered
500SE-92
130 Posts
I'm uner the impression the change color in time, there was some problem under warranty with mine and Dealer changed without cost (it was moist inside), probably bad quality, why would they make them "pinkish"from factory??

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 & 1999 S500
1,034 Posts
Peach parts are high!

The prices at PeachParts look high. Try performanceproducts4benz.com and also autohaus.com and last but not least genuinemercedesparts.com

I do not know if they have the exact pieces you need, but all three are excellent sites.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Anyone know the part number to the center piece?

Also, will 1997 (Clear blinker tail lights) fit 1995-96 models? (face lifted but not clear)

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I agree $100 seems little steep. Couldn't find it at performanceproducts4benz.com, but it was also hard to search. I gave it 1997 and S320, which it displayed in the two window fields in the upper left of the page, but although it narrowed down the number of parts, it displayed other chassis parts along w/140. There was even a wrong picture - no photoshop, honest :

Mercedes Mercedes® Tail Lamp Lens, Right, 140 Chassis - Mercedes Parts and Accessories

(that stuff happens, but I get 2 points for finding it).

On peachparts it's listed under "body electrical", so it's kind of hard to find it.

I can't find it at autohausaz - might have to call them.
Just happened to look at left taillight assembly searching for the middle piece - they're on backorder - guess I bought the only one they had. Still can't figure out why the assembly is cheaper than just the lens.

I'm not sure I'm buying the "originally sold as pink-white" explanation (for the sake of civility, I hesitate to call it a "story" - ;-) ). However, the white areas where the yellow lights shine through are still silver-white. Maybe a different kind of plastic, or , there's something to that explanation after all. I'll let you know after 10 years or so if mine's faded to pink-white or not.

Just found this -- all 3, left-center-right for $190 !! It says free US shipping. I wonder who makes these ?
They sell another set with darker white lens, $220 (they call it Red Smoke -vs- Red Clear).

95-99 Mercedes Benz S class W140 Tail Lights & Center Garnish (3 pcs) Red Clear

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
The "sold as pink" story is not true. Over the last 5 years I've seen mine become more and more pink. It looks pretty meh, but I'm not going to bother replacing them.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Yeah aftermarket is cheap for the whole set. But then again its aftermarket. I would go LEDs if I go aftermarket.

·
3phase-4pole
4,971 Posts
The "sold as pink" story is not true. Over the last 5 years I've seen mine become more and more pink. It looks pretty meh, but I'm not going to bother replacing them.
+1 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
i've been pricing trim pieces and what not lately for my own projects.. depressing! these cars are a nightmare from hell to restore. i don't see them being collectibles. new oem interior is close to 100k alone... /otrant. argh.

trim pieces incl colored lens on these cars fade at the 10 year mark with little to no garaging and average weather.

leds will set off your light out warning unless the set is perfectly matched to oem resistance (unlikely). fyi..

·
Registered
1994 S320, S 600 1994 , 1993 400 sel , 1995 S500 SL 600 1999
475 Posts
i had read somewhere on the forum a DIY thread on removing the complete tail light assembly cleaning it & fixing it,can somebody please post the link here as i want to clean my lense over the weekend, :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts