Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I"m considering purchasing an ORIS brand (slightly used) part # A 209 860 01 74 for my CLK320.

I'm assuming this cuts down on the wind while cruising topless (top down). :)

Anyone have experience with this brand or type of product?

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have a factory wind screen and I have found it almost useless. I think it sits tor far from the front seat backs. Had one in a Volvo convertible and it was great, but it was right behind the front seats - almost touching them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a factory wind screen and I have found it almost useless. I think it sits tor far from the front seat backs. Had one in a Volvo convertible and it was great, but it was right behind the front seats - almost touching them.
Thanks Gorj!

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,839 Posts
I have the opposite opinion of the windscreen on the CLK. If you raise it and raise the windows, you can do 120mph and it's like having a sunroof open - very little wind buffeting. if you don't raise the windows, then I agree that the windscreen doesn't do much good.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I usually have the deflector fitted for the entire topless season, and like rudeney Ive the front windows up on the motorway, cruising 75-80 mph is pure bliss. At 120mph probably too, though I'm yet to drive that fast :LOL:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought my car without one, and found the wind blocker on eBay.

Very useful in my mind.

Most useful above 80kph (50mph) and with the windows up.

So it depends how you like to drive. Most of the time I have it in the car but flat. Only when I go on the highway for more than a couple of interchanges do I use it.

Or when my wife is in the car - with all windows up and the deflector in place and up - as Rudeney suggested the car acts like it has a massive sunroof - no buffeting, and no complaints about messed up hair (wife).

·
Registered
613 Posts
I bought my car without one, and found the wind blocker on eBay.

Very useful in my mind.

Most useful above 80kph (50mph) and with the windows up.

So it depends how you like to drive. Most of the time I have it in the car but flat. Only when I go on the highway for more than a couple of interchanges do I use it.

Or when my wife is in the car - with all windows up and the deflector in place and up - as Rudeney suggested the car acts like it has a massive sunroof - no buffeting, and no complaints about messed up hair (wife).
I am sorry folks, I do not drive a convertible to have the windows up! That is really dorky! With the windows up, of course the screen works, and most likely would almost also give the same effect without the screen.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Gorj, you ought come to the West of Ireland once - where even if it's sunny you can still get gale winds. At any rate I use the deflector primarily on motorway to prevent loose items from being flown out of the cabin, guess how I learnt ;-)

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,839 Posts
I've never understood why it is considered "dorky" to drive a convertible with the side windows raised. Maybe when cruising the boulevard on a nice summer evening, that looks silly, but when driving 80mph+ on the freeway, it's necessary to be able to hear the radio!

·
Registered
613 Posts
I've never understood why it is considered "dorky" to drive a convertible with the side windows raised. Maybe when cruising the boulevard on a nice summer evening, that looks silly, but when driving 80mph+ on the freeway, it's necessary to be able to hear the radio!
Each to their own, but I rarely drive the freeway in mine. We have many mountain roads in this part of the country and it is a joy to drive them with a full open car.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I spend about 80% of my time on secondary roads with the deflector installed but down, and the windows down.

Only longer highway drives do I raise the windows and flip up the deflector.

This summer drove ~3 hours to a friends cottage. Most of it was highway, and using the windows and deflector made that a really nice ride.

I'd say its useful to own, but not a deal breaker. Depends how you spend your time in the car, and what experience you're looking for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with mcgsxr, although I drive mostly on slower roads with the deflector up and the windows down, I found it makes some difference,on the highway with the windows up and the deflector up, it reduces the wind to a minimal amount, with the windows down it helps but still windy, but once i am over about 75-80 mph, if the windows are down, the wind pressure will force the deflector to go down as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I completely disagree. With the windows and the windscreen up the cabin is very pleasant with no buffeting or flapping wind.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts