Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1985 380sl
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finaly located and purchased a set of 3pc BBS 501 wheels for the SL. The fronts are 16x8 and will use 225 50 16 tires.

The rears are 16x9. I put them on the car and it looks like they will just clear. The tire size for these will be 245 50 16. Has anyone run a tire that wide on these cars?

Again, it looks like it will just barely make it.

·
Registered
1981 380SL - Lorinser bodykit w/16x7 LOs - AKA "Frau Blau"(Lady Blue)
7,563 Posts
I finaly located and purchased a set of 3pc BBS 501 wheels for the SL. The fronts are 16x8 and will use 225 50 16 tires.

The rears are 16x9. I put them on the car and it looks like they will just clear. The tire size for these will be 245 50 16. Has anyone run a tire that wide on these cars?

Again, it looks like it will just barely make it.
I saw a thread with an SL with 18" rims on it! I wouldn't think there would be any issues with 16" unless you need new suspension or something?

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Oh, and I want to see PICS -although if it looks sweet, it'll make me want to get some for mine...

·
Registered
1985 380sl
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The great thing is that the inserts match my soft top perfectly. My tires will be in tomorrow, then I will mount them. Hope they fit:confused:

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
OMG - those look GREAT - definitely have to post pics of them on the car.
Sorry, I have to ask - how much?

·
Registered
1985 380sl
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OMG - those look GREAT - definitely have to post pics of them on the car.
Sorry, I have to ask - how much?
Yes,you can ask. I actualy scored them on Craig's list.

$300.00

I thought it was the bargain of the Century, considering how rare they are and how expensive they are.

As long as they fit, they will give the car a very agressive look. There are very few wheels that look good on these car IMHO, and these are on the very short list.

I looked for these or pentas everyday since the day I bought the car, and finaly found them.:thumbsup:

I also hope that the wheels are straight and dont have any issues.....Stay tuned....

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Yes,you can ask. I actualy scored them on Craig's list.

$300.00

I thought it was the bargain of the Century, considering how rare they are and how expensive they are.

As long as they fit, they will give the car a very agressive look. There are very few wheels that look good on these car IMHO, and these are on the very short list.

I looked for these or pentas everyday since the day I bought the car, and finaly found them.:thumbsup:

I also hope that the wheels are straight and dont have any issues.....Stay tuned....
I have the same exact opinion. Nothing wrong with the bundts (14" just seems...small for the car), but I was thinking a 15" or 16" BBS or AMG penta with (can you guess?) a dark blue insert. I can't wait to see - I think they'll look FANTASTIC.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1985 380sl
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put them up against the car and they do look great. As long as the tires come in tomorrow, I will have them on the car and will post pics.

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,182 Posts
There is a 15"X7" et 11 set of these wheels on the St Louis Craigslist for $200.

15 Inch BBS RA Alloys

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
There is a 15"X7" et 11 set of these wheels on the St Louis Craigslist for $200.
That says they have a 5x120 bolt pattern. IIRC, the 107 uses a 5x112 bolt pattern.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
CRAP - I was all excited, then saw 5 x 120.
Oh, well. Keep looking...

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,182 Posts
That says they have a 5x120 bolt pattern. IIRC, the 107 uses a 5x112 bolt pattern.
Oops, that's what happens when you've got your head up your ass. :surrender:

They came up on an MB search and I just wasn't paying enough attention.

·
Registered
1985 380sl
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, I found out today(the hard way) that a 245 50 16 tire will not work on the SL. Not unless I want to massage the quarters or jack up the car to 4 wheel drive status, anyway.

I think my tire guy will take the 245's back since I never drove on them . The 225's look like they will fit on the rear(at least on the 8" rim they are on). Remember, these rims are stggered.9" rear and 8" front.Tomorrow I will mount one of the 225's on the 9" rear rim and try that out. If that works, I will put 225's on the rear and order a couple of 205 50's for the front.

I am determined to make this work now.

I just hate spending $$$$$ and not achieving the results I want.:mad:

Stay tuned......

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
OK, I found out today(the hard way) that a 245 50 16 tire will not work on the SL. Not unless I want to massage the quarters or jack up the car to 4 wheel drive status, anyway.

I think my tire guy will take the 245's back since I never drove on them . The 225's look like they will fit on the rear(at least on the 8" rim they are on). Remember, these rims are stggered.9" rear and 8" front.Tomorrow I will mount one of the 225's on the 9" rear rim and try that out. If that works, I will put 225's on the rear and order a couple of 205 50's for the front.

I am determined to make this work now.

I just hate spending $$$$$ and not achieving the results I want.:mad:

Stay tuned......
:wtf:
I swear I saw something here on BW that said the max diameter for a 107 chassis was 16". Maybe it has less to do with the diameter than it does the width? Or with the backspacing? :confused: Keep us posted on the progress.

·
Registered
1985 380sl
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:wtf:
I swear I saw something here on BW that said the max diameter for a 107 chassis was 16". Maybe it has less to do with the diameter than it does the width? Or with the backspacing? :confused: Keep us posted on the progress.
It isnt the diameter of the wheel that is an issue. It is the width of the tire. The rims(even though they are wide), do fit in the wheel house . The 245 tire was too wide for the car. My car sits pretty low, and the tire would have hit the inner wheel house.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
It isnt the diameter of the wheel that is an issue. It is the width of the tire. The rims(even though they are wide), do fit in the wheel house . The 245 tire was too wide for the car. My car sits pretty low, and the tire would have hit the inner wheel house.
You didn't lower it, did you? Maybe you could beef up the springs/suspension? Would hate to get a set that sort of fit and then be rubbing the crap out of new rubber...:eek:

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Hmm, you said just clearance issues on the INSIDE, so there's plenty on the outside? So it may be caused by incorrect backspacing? If so, maybe you could get a spacer for the wheel?
Looking again at the pics (ooh, ahh) they do seem like the backspacing is pretty deep.

·
Registered
1985 380sl
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm, you said just clearance issues on the INSIDE, so there's plenty on the outside? So it may be caused by incorrect backspacing? If so, maybe you could get a spacer for the wheel?
Looking again at the pics (ooh, ahh) they do seem like the backspacing is pretty deep.
The 9" wheel fits perfectly on the inside of the rear quarter panel. It cant go in or out at all. Spacers wont do the trick. I need a smaller tire. I will try to mount the 225 tire on the rim today and try it out.

The 225 tire is borderline too small for a 9" rim, but I may be able to get away with it. We'll see. I should have some pics later.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
I wish you the best of luck. I have my fingers crossed, I really want to see those on the car!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts