Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
93 300SE, 07 BMW 328i Coupe, 01 GSX-R1000
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever purchased as aftermarket hood (or another aftermarket body panel). We need to repair our car, and would like to know the advantages of OEM over aftermarket. We can get an aftermarket hood for $800CAN, where as the OEM hood costs $2500CAN . . . Is there a huge difference in quality?

Also, I have only been able to find aftermarket body parts for the front of the car (bumper cover, hood, grille, fenders). Does anyone know where to find aftermarket parts for the back of the car (such as the rear bumper cover, trunk lid, and quarter panels?)

Thanks for you help. Hopefully, we'll get the Benz back on the road soon . . .

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, since we have to replace our grille anyways, I was thinking of getting an S600-style...

Also, since we have to replace our grille anyways, I was thinking of getting an S600-style grille. Does anyone know a good place to get these?

Thanks!

· Registered
1997 S600 - Bentley Turbo R (black/black)
313 Posts
i just ordered my grill from autorice.com

Or you can go on ebay someone is selling it...

i just ordered my grill from autorice.com

Or you can go on ebay someone is selling it for 80 bucks...

i just hope that the grill i ordered is not the snap on separate strips kind...

· Registered
W140 S class, E31 850Ci, XC90 Exec AWD geartronic
444 Posts
Has anyone ever purchased as aftermarket hood (or another aftermarket body panel). We need to repair our car, and would like to know the advantages of OEM over aftermarket. We can get an aftermarket hood for $800CAN, where as the OEM hood costs $2500CAN . . . Is there a huge difference in quality?

Also, I have only been able to find aftermarket body parts for the front of the car (bumper cover, hood, grille, fenders). Does anyone know where to find aftermarket parts for the back of the car (such as the rear bumper cover, trunk lid, and quarter panels?)

Thanks for you help. Hopefully, we'll get the Benz back on the road soon . . .
Aftermarket panels use thinner gauge metal than OEM. Also the metal composition is different and they are more phrone to rust.
When you knock on a OEM panel the 'ding' noise is more solid. Knock a aftermarket panel as the sound is more japanese. Aftermarket panels also flex more.
I would only use these if i had no other option.

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Re: Aftermarket vs. OEM??

Aftermarket panels use thinner gauge metal than OEM. Also the metal composition is different and they are more phrone to rust.
When you knock on a OEM panel the 'ding' noise is more solid. Knock a aftermarket panel as the sound is more japanese. Aftermarket panels also flex more.
I would only use these if i had no other option
Thanks for the reply . . .

Do you think it is better to fix a dented hood, or to replace it with aftermarket? Repairing a damaged hood can make it more prone to rust as well, doesn't it?

By the way, the damage to my hood is not too bad . . . it got a dent because the Nissan Pathfinder that I got pushed into had a spare tire on the back.

Regards,
Bryan

· Registered
W140 S class, E31 850Ci, XC90 Exec AWD geartronic
444 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Aftermarket vs. OEM??

I would only use these if i had no other option
Thanks for the reply . . .

Do you think it is better to fix a dented hood, or to replace it with aftermarket? Repairing a damaged hood can make it more prone to rust as well, doesn't it?

By the way, the damage to my hood is not too bad . . . it got a dent because the Nissan Pathfinder that I got pushed into had a spare tire on the back.

Regards,
Bryan
That would depend on how big the dents are, and how willing your insurance company are.
The hood is an integral componant of the front end crumple zone. It is designed or absorb a front end accident and colapse. If the colapse has started then there will be a noticable buckle in the hood. If the buckle is there - REPLACE IT!! If not then I would have it repaired.

If the insurance company are covering it, it is your right to insist on original panels. If they dont play ball, then ask them to state that the aftermarket panel is of the same quality with same metal composition and would behave the same in the event of an accident- in writing!. I assure you that no insurance company will give you this in writing to cover their own fat butts against a later law suit. They will authorise a OEM panel instead.

OEM pressed panels are a precise fit and of much higher quality. I learn this the hardway - not with my benz thankfully [:D]

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Aftermarket vs. OEM??

That would depend on how big the dents are, and how willing your insurance company are.
The hood is an integral componant of the front end crumple zone. It is designed or absorb a front end accident and colapse. If the colapse has started then there will be a noticable buckle in the hood. If the buckle is there - REPLACE IT!! If not then I would have it repaired.

If the insurance company are covering it, it is your right to insist on original panels. If they dont play ball, then ask them to state that the aftermarket panel is of the same quality with same metal composition and would behave the same in the event of an accident- in writing!. I assure you that no insurance company will give you this in writing to cover their own fat butts against a later law suit. They will authorise a OEM panel instead.

OEM pressed panels are a precise fit and of much higher quality. I learn this the hardway - not with my benz thankfully [:D]
Thanks for the good suggestions. he buckle in the hood is not too bad, so I think it can be fixed; if not, then I want an OEM part back.

I am thinking that the insurance company is going to write the car off, and we will then end up buying the car off of them. That is why I am trying to find out how good aftermarket is . . . definitely, if the insurance is paying, then I am demanding OEM parts!

Regards,
Bryan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.