Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of having the my '74 450sl painted and the passenger side floorboard repaired. The attached picture is disturbing and yet funny at the same time now that I know it will be good as new. I have searched the forum extensively but can't find a lot of feedback on if anyone has had specific problems with aftermarket seals. I am going to replace all of the seals on the car, so if anyone has advice on what seals need to be OEM because of fit, please let me know. A relative of mine is doing the car for me so I want to cause him as little trouble as possible. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,886 Posts
OMG, topics like this one should be marked as "graphic" and "enter at your own risk".
Or maybe initial pics before repairs should be thumbnailed and only "after repair" pics should be large.

Good luck.
I never tought 107 can be in such condition... you're a saviour!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Viewer discretion advised

Djenka018 said:
OMG, topics like this one should be marked as "graphic" and "enter at your own risk".
Or maybe initial pics before repairs should be thumbnailed and only "after repair" pics should be large.

Good luck.
I never tought 107 can be in such condition... you're a saviour!
I haven't replaced any seals yet, (hoping to paint before), but from all I've read most of the aftermarkets are ok except for the soft top boot needs to be OEM. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,428 Posts
As with many parts, "aftermarket" encompasses a broad range of quality. Good aftermarket weatherstripping is analogous to OEM, poor aftermarket weatherstripping is not.

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
If it was my car, I'd get every seal from the dealer. You can buy most things from a wholesale dealer like Duval for nearly what the aftermarket guys charge. I've just heard too many stories about poor quality of aftermarket rubber. It would be a shame to go through all that work and ruin it with poor seals.

Len

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for you comments. Although I don't like doing this, unfortunately I think that I may just have to go with a dealer on this one to make sure the fit is not an issue and so that I am not dealing with issues/leaks later. I will post updated pics as this restoration progress. Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts