Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Vehicle: 1397 Portative Organ Normally Aspirated....U411, U2450,463 300GD
1,499 Posts
That's some wacky looking stuff; what could that thing possibly be crossing over the motor?

·
Registered
Vehicle: 1397 Portative Organ Normally Aspirated....U411, U2450,463 300GD
1,499 Posts
I thought that but what strength would it have? Maybe some kind of frame twist sensor? Hellgeth? I see American trailers in BG. But German on under hood writing....German farmers living in US. conducting mad experiments...

·
Registered
Non MB 1975 Volvo C304, 1958 Kramer U540, 1959 unimog Westfalia 411
1,381 Posts
Those are some pretty heavy duty looking cylinders. maybe it is a leveling and ride height setup.

·
Registered
1987 416 Doka
658 Posts
The second pic in the original post shows the cylinders for the rear axle. It looks like hydraulic load levelers as opposed to air bag suspension systems like semi-trucks use. The last pic is the front end, but without seeing how it is tied to the axle, I have to surmise that the entire system is a leveler - because it is definitely NOT going to provide any comfort (hope they are using air-ride seats)! In order to be active suspension, the hydraulics would need to be tied to the upper (easiest) factory spring and shock mounts - which it is clearly not.

The red cross-bar design in the engine bay looks to be just that. This setup allows the driver to control each tire's ride height independently. The benefit would be, you could have the passenger side in the center of a railroad track, with the driver side somewhere lower down the side of the railbed. By compressing the hydros on the passenger, and extending them on the driver, the load height in the back could be level.

The railroad scenario is my own invention, but whatever the terrain or conditions, each tire could be extended or compressed as needed to maintain level load height. Remember that funky off road buggy that had the hydros?? That was Trevor's post too! Are we seeing a little of your secret project? :D

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,821 Posts
That system looks a lot like the active body control on the MB cars. That massive cross plate serves as the fulcrum so the body doesn't get all twisted up when the frame starts doing un-natural things like not drooping.

·
Registered
1 Posts
tr

I personally had the privilege to work on this it was the best year of my life . I was 23 years old nothing has ever been as exiting to be part . me and 2 others got to put the 4 cylinder’s into the beast . they replace the shocks in this application . the fluid is a military grade and there is a magnetic aspect to it. the 3 way pump that runs it is the heart of the system priced at over 150.000$ all of the handmade mounts and in house made cylinders and pump were made with very close personal friends . thanks standens for letting me be a part of this.
Blaize.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts