Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Just got me a new ml 350 but it did not have a hitch. I cannot bring myself to pay the $1600 they want to put on a OEM one. Found a after market one that will do for $190.00. But they will not do the wiring. They say its a D code and cannot do it. Has anyone put one of these draw tight/hidden hitches on and wired them? I need a hitch to pull a boat (small one) maby two or three times a year.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am in the same boat. 07 ML350 seems the wiring is a big issue. Has someone done this with out MB costly wiring?

·
Registered
2007 ML63 AMG
452 Posts
I bought mine with OEM hitch, but you should be able to take it to any custom shop and they should be able to figure out the wiring and install a harness. Try a 4x4 or trailer place. (U-haul/Pepboys) might also be able to do it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The Mb system is all tied to the tranny and air suspension if so equipped.As soon as you plug in the lights it changes to a tow mode and then levels the air bags etc. If you choose aftermarket products you may or may not have problems but most likely not have the tow mode etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That is the issue what will not work correctly if you add after market wiring?
It would be great if someone that has done the wiring will chime in!
We need your help!!!! Photos and directions will be the home run.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hello all. Just got me a new ml 350 but it did not have a hitch. I cannot bring myself to pay the $1600 they want to put on a OEM one. Found a after market one that will do for $190.00. But they will not do the wiring. They say its a D code and cannot do it. Has anyone put one of these draw tight/hidden hitches on and wired them? I need a hitch to pull a boat (small one) maby two or three times a year.
Hi
Check this.You will find all your answers.See the Westfalia detachable as first choice.eBay.co.uk Shop: Search results for Supply and Fit Towbar Tow bar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, hear is a update, I got Irate at the dealership because this guy ordered this part and it did not even look like something that I could use. I was pissed because he knew what I was looking to do (put an after market hitch on and wire the sucker) but wasted my time running down their. He just called me and told me that he looked up the other piece of the harness ($106+15 US) and that I can get it done!:thumbsup: So it looks like the total will be $250 for the wiring and 230 for the hitch installed. at two different locations.(probably get the wiring done first so the hitch guys can tie it all together) $500 is much more palatable then 1800 if you can live with 3500lbs towing capacity. (I can)

I will keep you up to date with the part numbers and the instillations affect on my benzo's electronics. (maybe it will even function correctly like oem?) as well as a total cost for the install if I go this route.:)

·
Registered
06 ML350
88 Posts
Ok, hear is a update, I got Irate at the dealership because this guy ordered this part and it did not even look like something that I could use. I was pissed because he knew what I was looking to do (put an after market hitch on and wire the sucker) but wasted my time running down their. He just called me and told me that he looked up the other piece of the harness ($106+15 US) and that I can get it done!:thumbsup: So it looks like the total will be $250 for the wiring and 230 for the hitch installed. at two different locations.(probably get the wiring done first so the hitch guys can tie it all together) $500 is much more palatable then 1800 if you can live with 3500lbs towing capacity. (I can)

I will keep you up to date with the part numbers and the instillations affect on my benzo's electronics. (maybe it will even function correctly like oem?) as well as a total cost for the install if I go this route.:)
Awesome, I am definately interested in a detailed description. I also don't have OEM one and would love to add one for a much more reasonable price.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Unfortunately 3,500 pounds won't cut it for me. Most everything I'd like to tow starts at 5,000 and 6,000 is more in the range. I may even need to push the 7,200 pound limit. Only the OEM hitch is capable of that. I believe it is welded to the frame. I will be selling my ML and upgrading. I'd suggest if you plan on towing, buy the vehicle with the hitch. It's a no hassle approach and the best system. If all you want to do is pull a small single axle trailer with a tiny yard mower or a rototiller on it, the aftermarket hitches will probably be fine. I'd be real careful with a boat. Check your weights.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The factory hitch isn't welded, it is a bolt in procedure. To install one the rear bumpercover has to be removed, the spare tire kit, carpet underneath the kit and so on. The hitch actually becomes the bumper for the rear when installed, since it is installed where the bumper bolts on and into the rear of the car. I can't speak for the wiring but if it results in the vehicle 'knowing' to go to a tow/haul mode I would want it. It roughly takes a couple of hours at most to put one on, but the number of parts and foam inserts behind the bumper cover added on are different from a regular cover.

·
Registered
'06 SLK55
831 Posts
Any updates on this yet?

I want to get an AM hitch only for my bike rack. Nothing extreme.

I've seen various units by Draw-Tite and Uhaul on Ebay for roughly $150-190. I'd like to get one that doesn't require drilling and doesn't look like an eyesore.

·
Registered
GLE350 / 2017, E350 coupe / 2014, SL500 / 1997
95 Posts
How does an aftermarket electric connector look like

Well, talked to the dealer today. The OEM hitches are for the 2008 model rated for the 7200lbs (same hitch as the model years before, so the change in towing rating is due to the changes in the car itself). They ask 850 dollar for the hitch. I think wiring is extra (60-70 dollar?). Installation is not included.

Does the OEM hitch require any drilling (like all the aftermarket ones)?

And, where does the electric connector go (the round one like on the OEM) if you take an aftermarket hitch? To me it seems that they do not have a bracket where you can mount the electric connector like the OEM one has.

I will purchase it mainly for the bike rack (the roof is just to high to put the bike on). I like the OEM bike rack best (the European one even better as it has its own taillights, but it also requires a European hitch). And although thi sis the main goal, I would like to actually tow something if needed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The factory hitch takes the place of the rear metal bumper underneath the cover. You won't have to drill anything. You will have to remove the rear bumpercover, spare tire, carpet under it to get to the bolts that hold on the actual bumper. You could get a European hitch, and get the 2'' ball for it. The downside is, I think we only offer a 2''ball and no other sizes. I'm not sure of the wiring for Euro hitches, being I don't know if it's the same plugs for trailers and if it would work on a U.S spec M-Class.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think I detect you are leaning toward a factory (OE) hitch. I encourage you to do so. We are on our third M-Class, each with an OE hitch either factory installed or dealer installed, and am very happy to have gone this route. There have been too many complications and compromises made by people using an after-market supplier. Whether the dealer installs it for you or you have an independent person install it, it will be the correct hitch. I predict you will realize it as money well spent.

Jim W.

·
Registered
95 Posts
to OEM route or not

I think I detect you are leaning toward a factory (OE) hitch. I encourage you to do so. We are on our third M-Class, each with an OE hitch either factory installed or dealer installed, and am very happy to have gone this route. There have been too many complications and compromises made by people using an after-market supplier. Whether the dealer installs it for you or you have an independent person install it, it will be the correct hitch. I predict you will realize it as money well spent.

Jim W.
Hi Jim,
Thanks. The only other option that I thought of was to buy an OEM wiring set and an aftermarket hitch (about a 650 dollar price difference). I will mosty definitely go for the OEM hitch mounted bike rack. Seems to me by far the best bike rack that is able to handle also my wife's bike without a need to add a bar between the streer and saddle.
Also, the OEM hitch will probably the only one that offers a good fit for the connector (according to the only picture I found in the accesorie booklet).
EJ

·
Registered
2011 E-Class Iridium Silver Luxury Model
10 Posts
Bluetec Hitch

:confused:I've seen many posts about OEM and aftermarket hitches for the ML350, but none for the '09 ML320 Bluetec. My dealer wants $2000. (NJ) I found one in Pa. that quoted me $1100. Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
95 Posts
OEM Wiring or AFtermarket: any coding/programming

I could not find info on this. But I would like to know if any coding/programming is needed in case the OEM wiring is used. Anyone experience with this?
With an aftermarket wiring this is most likely not the case.
Thanks,
EJ

·
Registered
2009 ML320 Bluetec
17 Posts
I too am interested in installing an aftermarket hitch on a 2009 ML320 bluetec. I cannot find one. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
'08 ML63, '08 997 Turbo, '09 Maserati GranCabrio, '96 993 C4S, '84 944
49 Posts
Looks like all of those say, "All Models, except 63 AMG and BlueTEC"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts