Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to put in a new Headunit/Speaker set in my 1984 300SD and wanted to find out what kind of set up people have gone with, i.e. speaker size. placement of wires for rewire, method of bypassing the fader. That kind of thing.

Also if someone would be generous enough to help me out by answering some of the multiple questions i have floating around my brain.
1) Could someone post some instruction on how to bypass the fader.
2)Should I just run new wire to the speakers and leave the old wire in place, and then cut the wiring to the fader and leave that in place as well? If this is an acceptable method, can anyone provide the color of the wire(s) that run to the fader so I will know which ones to cut.
3) Also, I am thinking of buying a Crutchfield Mastersheet for the install. Has anyone used one of these?, and if so how useful is it in relation to dealing with the fader issue?

Any help that someone could provide would be greatly apprciated as I am new to this forum (through not to M-B's) and have limited experience working on these cars.

Thanks

·
Registered
1982 280 se aut. ecc. - sold
1,607 Posts
Welcome.
Please (re)read the "welcome to the forum" sticky.
It will tell you how to fill out your profile and why.
It will also tell you how to do a forumsearch.
Upgrading the stereo is not easy, but well covered in the archives.

gr J

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,191 Posts
I am getting ready to put in a new Headunit/Speaker set in my 1984 300SD and wanted to find out what kind of set up people have gone with, i.e. speaker size. placement of wires for rewire, method of bypassing the fader. That kind of thing.

Also if someone would be generous enough to help me out by answering some of the multiple questions i have floating around my brain.
1) Could someone post some instruction on how to bypass the fader.
2)Should I just run new wire to the speakers and leave the old wire in place, and then cut the wiring to the fader and leave that in place as well? If this is an acceptable method, can anyone provide the color of the wire(s) that run to the fader so I will know which ones to cut.
3) Also, I am thinking of buying a Crutchfield Mastersheet for the install. Has anyone used one of these?, and if so how useful is it in relation to dealing with the fader issue?

Any help that someone could provide would be greatly apprciated as I am new to this forum (through not to M-B's) and have limited experience working on these cars.

Thanks
As Jeroen said, this has been gone over many times before and there is lots of stuff in the archives if you do a search.

I'll argue that you have two choices:
- Fix the OEM system by having Becker USA refurbish your head unit and amplifiers (if you have them), fix all faulty wiring, replace broken speakers and clean/replace the fader control.
- Replace everything (including the wiring).

If you decide to replace the OEM system it will be a big job. You can use some of the existing wires to power the head unit (the Crutchfield harness will be useful here), but a new amp will need new power wires and the speakers wires will all have to be replaced.

It is not complicated (especially if you don't have any speakers in the doors), but to run the wires in the factory conduits you'll need to take the seats out an lift the carpet to get access.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts