Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got radios from like Best Buy, Circuit City? How much is the installation, since it won't be plug and play, they have to splice the wires? Can they do it so you don't use the fader in the middle?

On the other hand, on Crutchfield, it said that they have plug and play harness if you buy from them. Are they easy to plug and play?

The thing that holds my radio is sort of out of shape (the cage). Is there a replacement for that?

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,181 Posts
a search will help here a bit, this has been covered by a few...

so...

Has anyone got radios from like Best Buy, Circuit City? How much is the installation, since it won't be plug and play, they have to splice the wires? Can they do it so you don't use the fader in the middle?

mine i did myself with my dad teaching me (i was 15)...its pretty easy, we bought a "plug and play sytem" then hardwired the cars receiver end to teh car, that way the head unit is easily changable...we are not using the fader as any new unit can handle that...it is a sony head unit with a 10 disk changer, two subs and 6 surround units - plus the fader switch location made a great spot for teh electric lock conversion...

On the other hand, on Crutchfield, it said that they have plug and play harness if you buy from them. Are they easy to plug and play?

yes - you cut, splice, crimp, or solder

The thing that holds my radio is sort of out of shape (the cage). Is there a replacement for that?

not sure what you are talking about...an aftermarket stamped steel cage? or a part of your w123? a new cage will come with the new head unit, i dont think there is that much to damage on teh w123...that seems like it would be impressive...but could happen...

good luck
jake

·
Registered
49 Posts
I recently replaced my factory radio with one I got on eBay. I was shocked when I found that it was only wired for left and right and not a separate channel for each speaker. A friend of mine reminded me that when this car came out tapes were the hottest thing around requiring only 2 channels.
This means that the installer will have two choices. Either he can splice into the wires at the fader switch or run some new wiring. I chose to replace the wires leading to the rear speakers. If you have someone else install them get ready for a nice size installation bill.
Also, the harness kit will not resolve the problem either it’s just a plug adapter.
You should give it a try yourself. A soldering iron some heat shrink tubing and the low stereo prices on eBay will make it worth the frustrating learning experience.

G

·
This link provides you with
the all the basic knowledge
you'll need for carstereo
installs.

http://www.bcae1.com/installationprimer.htm

Only thing not covered here is that
the stock fader is a pain and introduces
more noise and hiss that it's worth.
By-pass it and be done with it.
You can install a basic system in
a day or less.
That includes wiring up all the speakers.

Louis.

PS: Don't have your radio installed by
these discount shops.
You'll regret it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BF_JC230 - 2/10/2005 7:19 PM

not sure what you are talking about...an aftermarket stamped steel cage? or a part of your w123? a new cage will come with the new head unit, i dont think there is that much to damage on teh w123...that seems like it would be impressive...but could happen...

good luck
jake
You know the cage type of thing that holds the radio, so you can put it back into place and your console will look like one piece instead of having holes here and there around the radio?

Lou, I'm just curious what's wrong with discount shops?

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,181 Posts
if its teh w123 cage i would hit up your local junk yard...

jake

·
Registered
'81 300TD Turbo
416 Posts
Lou's W123 - 2/10/2005 9:55 PM

these discount shops.
You'll regret it.
I don't trust any shop to install anything for me. I suppose there are some good ones, but I don't know of any.

As a example of how things are done, even in what is supposed to be a professional establishment, I inquired about having Verizon install the antenna and kit for a cell phone in one of my other cars. They said they could do it in about an hour.

Well, having much experience doing just these types of things, I did it myself (which I was going to do anyway and was just wondering about their workmanship) and it took me a little over 3 hours.

I realize I tend to be a little anal when it comes to how things should be done, but for it to take me 3 hours and them only 1 has got to tell you something. It is possible they were using 2 people, but much of it is a one man operation, so I still think the quality would be poor.

G

·
jrehm - 2/14/2005 8:09 AM

Lou's W123 - 2/10/2005 9:55 PM

these discount shops.
You'll regret it.
I don't trust any shop to install anything for me.
Exactly how I think too.

No job is done better when you do
it yourself.

There is one in Lodi, NJ and I have seen
customers of them all the way in Rockland
county, NY.
They perform exellent work but you'll also
pay premium for this service.

Unfortunately they are a little far from you.

Louis.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, Lodi is not that far from me. That is exit 62 off Interstate 80, right?

Yeah, I should try to install it myself first, if anything happens, I'll go and get them to install.

G

·
Schmohey - 2/14/2005 9:53 AM

Actually, Lodi is not that far from me. That is exit 62 off Interstate 80, right?

Yeah, I should try to install it myself first, if anything happens, I'll go and get them to install.
If coming from I 95 it would be exit 64B
since the install shop in on Rt.46 E.
The shop is/was called audio expressions
(past there last week but didn't look
to be sure)

Here are the directions just incase.

Exit at 64B, at bottom of the ramp turn
left(traffic light).
Pass two more tr.lights and then make a
right on Charlton rd(should say Rt.46 W)
Left on Burton ave.
Rt.46 should be right in front of you(stop sign).
Right on 46 to the second exit (Main st. Lodi)
Left on Main st and left again to go back
on 46 E.
The shop is on the E. bound side across from
a big gasstation(BP if not mistaken) on the
W. bound side.(you'll pass it going to the
Main st. exit).

You can't miss it, they have always a bunch
of cars sitting in the front and also they
a have a accessory shop right next door.
(Always have a couple of tricked out cars
sitting in the front of that too).

Louis.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts