Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone - first time poster and a total novice / beginner with Cars but recently inherited a 95 R129 SL500 with a Bose sound system. I've read through some of the forum and saw that models with Bose systems can be a little finicky as it relates to aftermarket radio heads but I went ahead and bought this unit from crutchfields. I partially chose this unit due to the higher pre-amp output than the rest thinking I might be able to get around any issues...

Assembly was easy and I fired it up. Issue is that the bigger speaker on the drivers door now produces more static that prior (wasn't perfect prior but less noticeable). Any recommendations besides re-doing the entire audio system? Any EQ presets to play with? The OEM radio head still works but the added benefits of bluetooth really has me preferring the updated unit....

·
Registered
2002 SL500 Silver Arrow
662 Posts
fwiw - I changed to a Kenwood for all the modern conveniences since I like to road trip. Sound was horrible. Found a Pioneer with all the features I wanted plus a few new ones -- sound was much better and it was plug and play with the same harness that connected the Kenwood. So who knows?

Working on some stuff on a fellow forum member's car (not audio related) - he mentioned he was dissatisfied with the sound of his aftermarket Kenwood -- perhaps it is just one of those things between them and Bose.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2003 SL500, 2003 SL55, and four R129s
4,366 Posts
Issue is that the bigger speaker on the drivers door now produces more static that prior (wasn't perfect prior but less noticeable).
Since I studied audio engineering in school I should know what causes static but in fact I have no idea. I'd guess it isn't the speaker, but all the same I'd swap the speakers and see if the problem moves to the other door.

·
Registered
1995 SL 500 2017 AMG GLC 43
949 Posts
Hey everyone - first time poster and a total novice / beginner with Cars but recently inherited a 95 R129 SL500 with a Bose sound system. I've read through some of the forum and saw that models with Bose systems can be a little finicky as it relates to aftermarket radio heads but I went ahead and bought this unit from crutchfields. I partially chose this unit due to the higher pre-amp output than the rest thinking I might be able to get around any issues...

Assembly was easy and I fired it up. Issue is that the bigger speaker on the drivers door now produces more static that prior (wasn't perfect prior but less noticeable). Any recommendations besides re-doing the entire audio system? Any EQ presets to play with? The OEM radio head still works but the added benefits of bluetooth really has me preferring the updated unit....
I have the same year as you with Bose system and installed a Kenwood headunit purchased from Crutchfield. Prior to the install I purchased new Bose speaker direct from Bose. I'd bet your speakers are shot after 25 years. Had a "popping sound " each time I turned on radio. Called Bose to see if they had a solution. They sent me a set of filters for free that eliminated the issue. Call them for help.

·
Registered
1997 SL320
39 Posts
fwiw - I changed to a Kenwood for all the modern conveniences since I like to road trip. Sound was horrible. Found a Pioneer with all the features I wanted plus a few new ones -- sound was much better and it was plug and play with the same harness that connected the Kenwood. So who knows?

Working on some stuff on a fellow forum member's car (not audio related) - he mentioned he was dissatisfied with the sound of his aftermarket Kenwood -- perhaps it is just one of those things between them and Bose.
I have a pioneer head unit as well, with Bluetooth and CD player. I’ve sinced remove the rear trunk CD reader and daily play music off my iPhone. Sound is good but the only issue is the door speakers sometime tremble on certain notes and ruin the experience, but the main Bose unit behind the seat gives very nice bass.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all - I also recently ordered a grom audio bluetooth transponder. Going to give it a head-to-head comparisons of the new JVC unit vs. the OEM unit with the grom and go with whichever sounds best. Have to love flexible return policies when you do the labor yourself!

I most likely should replace the front-speaker but don't really care to take the door panel off to do so. The car runs great and the top functions perfectly so at this point I am being nit-picky!

·
Registered
1991 300sl, 1993 Porsche 928 GTS, 1996 SL500, 1991 560sec, 1997 AMG C36
169 Posts
Put 4 Kenwood head units in my cars over the last decade. All were wired into the original Mercedes harnesses using the Metra conversion harness as supplied by Crutchfield. IIRC, all had weird popping or interference issues, both Bose and standard. Crutchfield supplied ground isolators (free) that plugged into the redundant preamp outputs on the head unit. Problem solved. Agree with previous posters that static on one side is more than likely a speaker issue.
Cheers, phendriks

·
Registered
1999 ML320, 1998 SL500
856 Posts
Put 4 Kenwood head units in my cars over the last decade. All were wired into the original Mercedes harnesses using the Metra conversion harness as supplied by Crutchfield. IIRC, all had weird popping or interference issues, both Bose and standard. Crutchfield supplied ground isolators (free) that plugged into the redundant preamp outputs on the head unit. Problem solved. Agree with previous posters that static on one side is more than likely a speaker issue.
Cheers, phendriks
With due respect to Crutchfield and others, speakers don't cause static. They can reproduce static that comes in on their wiring but they don't generate anything. There is, of course, distortion, and speakers can cause that but only when driven from some source.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts