Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1965 404 LF8 Unimog, 1987 300D turbo, 2000 A190
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have decided to replace my CD based MCS on my 2000 ML430 with the the AVIC-D2 from Pioneer.

Does anyone have in pics of one of these installed in a ML?

·
Registered
2002 ML 320, 2004 Audi Avant A4
212 Posts
ToneMonday said:
Got for the Z1 - not that much more and tons more features like BlueTooth, 30g HD, and a 7" screen.
Is that a rear view camera that we are seeing in the pic?

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
ToneMonday said:
Got for the Z1 - not that much more and tons more features like BlueTooth, 30g HD, and a 7" screen.
Looks good. Larger HD than new the S-Class. :)

Do you know the manufacturer of the HD? Is it automotive rated?

·
Registered
1965 404 LF8 Unimog, 1987 300D turbo, 2000 A190
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Avic-z1

ToneMonday said:
WOW! You're right. I'm going for the Z1. I didn't even know about that model. Here's the link to Pioneer's demo:

http://www.drivehappier.com/#unit=AVIC Z1

Can you please share what/how is necessary to install this unit? Special connectors? Facia? MB Programming? Costs$ You know... All the good stuff. :D

Can you watch a DVD while in motion? If no, is there a hack for this model?

Have you tried the iPOD intergration? If yes, how is it?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

JD 8^)

·
Registered
2001 ML55
69 Posts
shop around and you to can have one for about $1600 plus installation...

·
Registered
2011 E550 4-Matic
85 Posts
I notice Pioneer now only has the Z2 as the Z1 is discontinued. 2 Questions: Crutchfield says a Z2 doesn't fit so details of your install would be appreciated and if you know if the Z2 would fit too, and does it appear better to find a Z1 used or at a shop that still has it verses the high price of the Z2?

Thanks

·
Registered
2002 ML 500, 1994 Ford Explorer donated to Doctors without Borders
2,126 Posts
According to the pioneer technical support, the differences between the Z1 and Z2 are only in software. The hardware is the same. You can upgrade your Z1 software to Z2 for $250 by taking it to a service center.

Speaking of which, I just picked up my ML with my Z1. I added bluetooth, which seems to be working great and the ipod adapter. I'm leaving for Montreal, so I'll have lots of time to play. I'll update you later.

·
Registered
2003 ML350
4 Posts
Hey Bogie, did you have to do anything with the OEM speakers when you got the Z1? Are you still using the Bose sub? Looks awesome!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
W204 & W211
2,717 Posts
looks tight! :thumbsup:

Bogie said:
According to the pioneer technical support, the difference between the Z1 and Z2 are only in software. The hardware is the same. You can upgrade your Z1 software to Z2 for $250 by taking it to a service center.

Speaking of which, I just picked up my ML with my Z1. I added bluetooth, which seems to be working great and the ipod adapter. I'm leaving for Montreal, so I'll have lots of time to play. I'll update you later.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I'm back. The Z1 is great. My bluetooth worked flawlessly. Ipod is fully integrated, although, I don't think I have access to the videos. (give me time to play with this). DVD movies look great and the hard drive navigation is very nice. I love most that it fully boots up when I turn on the vehicle, so when I want nav, it's instantaneous.

This is from Avic411 dot com.

The drive in the Z1 is a Toshiba MK3029GACE. This is an automotive quality drive and is little more than a laptop drive enhanced to handle the additional shock of being installed in a moving vehicle.

This is from the Toshiba Website:
The MK3029GACE can withstand operational shock of 200g and non-operational shock of 800g, providing a rugged and dependable option for cars and SUVs as they travel through extreme temperatures and terrains across the globe. The MK3029GACE is ATA-6 compliant, supporting high transfer rates of up to 100 megabytes per second.

EDIT: Oh, the hook up! I bypassed the Bose amp (Fiber optic input) and wired directly to all 9 speakers including the subwoofer. All is powered by the Z1. I considered MJ's setup, where there is a separate amp for the subwoofer, but before doing that, I think I would replace the OEM subwoofer.

·
Registered
2003 ML350
4 Posts
Hey Bogie, how does the system sound with the OEM speakers and sub powered by the Z1? Does it compare well with the Bose system? Thanks for the answers.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
ncsantiago4 said:
Hey Bogie, how does the system sound with the OEM speakers and sub powered by the Z1? Does it compare well with the Bose system?
At first, I thought the sound quality was acceptable, but not as good as the OEM system. I played with the equalizer as best I could. Yesterday, I finally got into a menu where I could choose something like surround sound. I have 4 choices. The moment I chose "Theater something" (I'll have to get back to you on exactly what it is), I was blow away! Even at the lowest volume, the sound is so rich and deep. I'm still playing with it, but it now blows the bose out of the water!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Hey! I found this interesting. I always assumed that the TeleAid was part of the MCS. In fact it pissed me off, that even though the MCS had a phone (else teleAid would not work), MB asked me to spend an additional $2000 to have my personal phone service. If the car is a phone, why can't I just register my car with Sprint, AT&T or ???

Anyway, that argument has been beaten to death. So I pressed the SOS key yesterday. Since I no longer have my MCS, I assumed that it was just a dead button. Guess what! It worked! I got a recording because I have not joined TeleAid, but the phone is still somewhere in the car! Go figure.

It was, however, annoying, since I have no way of hanging up. Interesting, though, to say the least.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
UPDATE: I really love this Z1. My only regret is that I waited so long to replace the MCS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Z2 install guy says the Bose speakers are 2 Ohm, while the Z1/Z2 are 4 Ohm amps. Needs capacitor and splitter to each speaker to divide the 4 Ohms to 2 Ohms OR i could blow our the Z2 amp. Also need separate amp for subwoofer.
Cost: $380 for install, $350 more for subwoofer in San Francisco East Bay area. Cannot use MB optic connector amps.

Anyone else heard this?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts