Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

im sick of faulty ignition barrel/switch/lock combos... and am looking at putting an RFID based push button ignition system into the vehicle to bypass the troublesome OEM ignition.

has anyone on here done similar? or have any pointers..? will it be just a matter of cutting the wires on the back of the ignition switch and soldering the new unit to it? or will it bypass the ignition control unit altogether?

the system i'm looking at purchasing is here Keyless Ignition RFID Push Button Start systems

i wont be installing it myself, i'll be getting the auto-elec to do it. just want to see how much work will be involved so i can rough estimate a cost to do so.

·
Registered
301 Posts
One obstacle I can envision is that you will need to ensure that this system is compatible with the vacuum based locking system in our cars.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
One obstacle I can envision is that you will need to ensure that this system is compatible with the vacuum based locking system in our cars.
You can just put an after market solinoid on the drivers lock to push it up and down and problem solved
Looks a Piece of piss to install,looks like you would have to ditch the steering lock though
Id put the starter button in the hole left after removing the ignition barrel

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Actually, I am about to do the same think on my '87 coupe. The Ignition is AFU and needs replacing. I have no keys for the car and I was planning on doing something like this. I already have the Keyless entry unit and was hunting around for something like the RFID PBS unit and this looks like it will fit the bil.

Good Call and welcome to the board.

Fill out your profile and then send me a PM with your email and I will send you a gift basket.

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
When I got the car from Bondavi, it was like that. The KES system I got is compatible with our vacuum locking system no problem and even comes with the W140 style FOB's.

This will solve my ignition system issue. My starter interlock has been disabled and I will further modify it to start from park.

Modding the ignition barrel should be no problem either. Some std. relay's are needed, one for each of the mains to the FB. Fab up a panel for the hole there with the start button. Me likey!

It says that it has a second channel for manual configuration. If so it would be very easy to install a timer to pulse the locks in our cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i already contacted the manufacturer and he said that the door locks wouldn't work without installing a solenoid on the drivers door...

i wont be able to use the steering lock, but that's not going to be a big issue!

i had thought about putting the button in the hole where the barrel is currently, however it requires cutting out and i'm hoping i can avoid doing that by installing this system! i'll prob put the button on the kick panel under the steering column somewhere.

i'm buying their full package which includes alarm system and remote start/stop, however the manufacturer said that the latter won't work with my car (which doesn't bother me as i'm pretty sure that remote start/stop are illegal & also will void insurance here in australia)

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
however the manufacturer said that the latter won't work
I cant see why it wouldnt ,as long as you car can start with no throttle input it should work
Funny, ignition switch problems aren't prevalent on Mercedes, fishing...?
They do fail has been dissussed here before ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does anyone know if the ignition can be re-wired to this unit without removal of the existing barrel assembly? I have the old style ignition switch thats locked in with the barrel so i cant unplug it.

i dont have access to the car at the moment to look, but can its wires be traced to the engine side of the firewall and rewired from there??

·
Registered
273 Posts
does anyone know if the ignition can be re-wired to this unit without removal of the existing barrel assembly? I have the old style ignition switch thats locked in with the barrel so i cant unplug it.

i dont have access to the car at the moment to look, but can its wires be traced to the engine side of the firewall and rewired from there??
Yes it can be re-wired, I have done it. But I dont think posting it for everyone to see is appropriate. And I don't really recommend it, I just have it done to my car because I can't afford to buy a new steering lock/key and switch...and its not perfect either, there are a few consequences of course. Although mine is CIS-E, and if your is a 380 then it's regular CIS. So there are differences in wiring but im sure it can be done. If you wanna send me a pm, I can tell you what ive done. I will try and post pics later or maybe a video with my camera phone to show you guys..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Will the push start work on a 1998 S500 Mercedes Benz..I lost my keys, and Mercedes do not make the key for my S500 anymore. And I was told they don't know when they will find a vendor to make them..

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
No that won’t work , your car requires a chip

Mercedes won’t make the keys for most 1997-1999 models but some Independent locksmiths can

See this thread

1 - 14 of 14 Posts