Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am looking to replace my 2005's halogen lights with xenon lights.

Does anyone know a good (and not too costly) brand/supplier of xenon headlights that not only looks AUTHENTIC (not cheesy blue), but also does not create any error messages or faults codes?

Any help is greatly appreciated.....

·
Registered
910 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
I heard the Mtec ones mentioned above are supposed to be pretty good, but also expensive. There are bunch of brands out there that are just as good without the price. As for the cheesy blue, you can get a different bulb, the blue you are referring to is usually 8000k and above. i personally like 6000k.

you can also add a error canceler / resistor so you don't get the error code.

check this page out. its from the other board, a place down in sd is having a sale on HID kits with lifetime warranty $65 for kit $35 for error canceler, $5 shipping. sale ends today 1/6

end of Year HID special!!!! $65 per Kit!! - MBWorld.org Forums

not affiliated with them, just thought it was a good deal....

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Basically it goes like this, in order from cheap to expensive:

-You can put HIDs in the stock housings. Since there isn't any change in pattern, you will get more light, but more glare too. Some people don't mind this at all. Some people are really annoyed by it. You might guess I'm in the latter camp; vehicles with HIDs in stock housings are really blindingly uncomfortable when I come across them on the road. You will either have to get the car recoded for HID or add resistors to increase the load up to stock, otherwise you will get flickering and/or errors. If you want to do this, strongly consider trying +50 bulbs or H9-on-H7 bulbs, you can get them from several places including Suvlights and Daniel Stern Lighting. I think the stock pattern is great but going to +50 bulbs really helped visibility without adding much glare.

-You can get entire replacement headlights. Depo does not make any for the 2005, and I don't know the quality of the others. At least in the W210 world, the Depo units are the benchmark for decent replacements. Some of these might require a resistor or recoding.

-You could gut the stock housings and put in aftermarket projectors. There are at least a couple of decent brands but I'm not sure which is which. Again you will need to recode or add resistors.

-You can convert to the factory BiXenon. This is really expensive.

If you just want more light, and you don't want the blue look, put in some +50 (Xtravision) or H9-on-H7 bulbs (Rallye). They won't require recoding and will add more light. If you are running stock bulbs that are old, even just new bulbs will bump the output, since halogen bulbs get dimmer with age. If you do go with the HID capsule conversions, spring for a quality kit like the aforementioned MTEC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have bought 2 HID kits so far from a place called VVME.com. I am in no way affiliated with them, but I am really impressed with their product. The kits are very inexpensive, and they never threw a code on my MB! They don't seem cheap to me either. I do have them installed in my stock housings, and the lighting pattern isn't perfect, but I can see much better at night..not to mention they look sharp as well. Installed a set in my winter car too and I couldn't be happier with them - great in the snow. No hassle - just plug into your stock wiring and go! For the price, these work great for me.

You could outfit your high beams and fogs as well, but I haven't got this far yet.

They do ship from somewhere overseas, but I still got them in less than 7 days.

Here's what they look like:

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
There are plenty on ebay for pretty cheap. I had a cheap set I put in years ago and one side went out and got another cheap set on ebay, well under $100 shipped and they work fine. I'm sure the ones from vvme work fine too and for $40, how can you go wrong. Maybe I'll order a set for my kid's SLK. Look at it this way, these kits are pretty much all made in China. My attitude is for $40 I can buy 2 kits and have a pair of spares should one side go out. Is a kit costing 5 times as much 5 times better? Probably not but they can afford to give you another kit for free 4 times if need be and call that better customer service, haha.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I've been wanting to install an aftermarket HID kit for the low beams on my coupe, but I would have to get the clear headlights first. That's definitely not cheap... Hard to find parts for the coupe floating around on ebay also. So, no HID kit until I can find them some place for less than $300 dollars each. I wouldn't want to blind other drivers with the diffused light.

Anyways tresean1, your 05' has the clear headlight lenses, so you don't have to worry about getting a complete kit including the entire housing. Just find the H7 replacement kits. Don't worry about resistors. Just have the dealership set "xenon=present" even if everything is working fine...

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Ordered a set of HID lights from vvme.com, seems cheap enough, $66 with 2 day shipping from China. Probably put them in my Smart or my kid's SLK to test out.

Sorry you couldn't find 2005+ clear headlamps for under $300. The cheapest I found for you is Parts.com, $315 each. I use my HID lights with my disfussed 2004 headlamp housing and they work fine, good pattern, nobody has ever said anything about glare and I've had them for years.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have also heard that you might have to take the car to the dealer and have them set Xenon = Present to get rid of the error messages??

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I have also heard that you might have to take the car to the dealer and have them set Xenon = Present to get rid of the error messages??
Either that, or use a kit that has a resistor built in. The HID bulbs use a little less power than the Halogens, and the computer will sometimes call that as a bulb out or try to restart the bulb. Thus, the flickering people sometimes have.

Buellwinkle, nobody may have complained to you because the people most affected are drivers in other cars. I see cars with blinding HID conversions all the time; haven't seen any W203s with the conversion in person so I really can't comment on how well they handle it, but since you can get nearly as many lumens from the H9-on-H7 lamps without any change in the pattern, I don't see the point in the HID capsules. Even a very well-engineered HID conversion will have a different filament shape than the H7 halogen, just because of the nature of the technology. Some headlights depend more on that shape, some less.

Of course, who cares about other drivers, right?

We do get quite a lot of rain up here, and the blue is particular glaring in the rain, so that might be part of it. Any way you slice it, however, the HID conversions are illegal, and I can point you at several studies that show no improvement in ability to spot objects at a distance, because the additional distance light is offset by additional near-field light. Turns out that having the headlights be too bright near to the car makes your eyes dilate down, which negates much of the improvement at distance. It might feel brighter, but you can't see any further. I researched this after noticing that my MB had much dimmer headlights near the car but let me see further than my previous car (a VW), and wondering why that was the case. This stuff is surprisingly complex.

In the end, I'm not against HID conversions, but I have seen plenty of bad ones and I want people to know what the potential downsides to them are. They do provide much more light, and properly controlled can really improve things significantly with very little improvement in glare. There is a reason that factory HID systems include autolevelers and have different optics, however, and it's not just because the car makers want to spend more money.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I am about to buy some new headlights here in a day or two. I was really starting to think about the HID conversion, but I don't really want to risk the problems. I am just going to get some projector headlights instead.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hmm, I wanted to get LED license plate lights so I can get that nice white light. And I am changing out the side markers for white ones. But I realized something.. my head lamps are that ugly yellow. So this kinda won't match.

I had a look at my head lamps this night and saw that it is half white light and half ugly yellow. The yellow being closest to the grill. I get the idea to just buy a clear light bulb like the one next to it and swap it out. I have stock headlamps that are not clear. And I'm trying to get rid of these dim, yellow lights. Are these bulbs any specific brand? Would the manual have the sizes? Anyone think its stupid? :D

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I had a look at my head lamps this night and saw that it is half white light and half ugly yellow. The yellow being closest to the grill. I get the idea to just buy a clear light bulb like the one next to it and swap it out. I have stock headlamps that are not clear. And I'm trying to get rid of these dim, yellow lights. Are these bulbs any specific brand? Would the manual have the sizes? Anyone think its stupid? :D
I think you are talking about the city lights? The small ones, you mean. Those are made in plenty of colors to go with your tastes. Performance isn't a huge issue there as they provide more of a marker appearance than actual light output.

What's so ugly about yellow, anyway? The peaks of our photopic and scotopic vision curves are both solidly in the green, and the bulk of the sensitivity is in the green to yellow range. By the time you get to the blues our photopic sensitivity is way down, which is important for fast motion. A big part of the reason that HIDs are blue-tinted is to differentiate them from regular lamps. Otherwise, people might feel as though it's not worth paying extra for the option. Notice some of the factory HIDs are quite close to halogen color. There's good reasons for that ...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oh cool. Thanks! Well I try and be different from everyone else and it wouldn't seem to match with the other lights when I get them put in. Hopefully it will be a quick switch. And maybe later on swap the fog light bulbs? I'm not sure because from what I read it's complicated.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
The driver side foglight is actually very easy to get to, but the passenger side is right next to the windshield washer resevoir... Forgot what exactly needs to be done to get access to it...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oh this is good to know. Maybe I will do them now. hah

And GEEZ, wow I should have Definitely read the owner's manual before asking some basic questions. Shows me how to replace stuff and what sizes. Even how to do the side marker. I seen so many posts on that one topic.. people should look at the manual more often. It solves many problems. :)

Should I grab Piaa's Xtreme white bulbs? I hope there just white, but people on the mbworld forum say they have a hint of blue. So I'm unsure of which color they truly are.

·
Registered
910 Posts
You have to remove the front bumper cover. That is the easiest way to get past the resevoir. It is actuallly pretty easy to do, I never thought it would be, but I watched the guy put on my foglights yesterday. He it all ripped off in like 5mins flat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
XENTEC XENON CONVERSION HID

I just got this from ebay from $95 dollars and i have then installed the other day pretty good white diamond light really clear at nite, and i have not have any issues with them (erros) so far any one know if this brand will error out later? XENTEC XENON CONVERSION HID

·
Registered
910 Posts
If it does have the dealer set your car to Xenon = Present and the errors will go away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have bought 2 HID kits so far from a place called VVME.com. I am in no way affiliated with them, but I am really impressed with their product. The kits are very inexpensive, and they never threw a code on my MB! They don't seem cheap to me either. I do have them installed in my stock housings, and the lighting pattern isn't perfect, but I can see much better at night..not to mention they look sharp as well. Installed a set in my winter car too and I couldn't be happier with them - great in the snow. No hassle - just plug into your stock wiring and go! For the price, these work great for me.

You could outfit your high beams and fogs as well, but I haven't got this far yet.

They do ship from somewhere overseas, but I still got them in less than 7 days.

yes, i also bought VVME HID kit 6k from their website last year.$50 shipped to my door in 3 days.. i am the lucky one . cos i once ordered hid kit from DDM but some problems with their ballast i tried to contact them so many times, they asked me to shipped the defective one to them so they will email me new one (the shipping is expensive ) so i bought new hid kit from vvme.com that my friends recommend to me.... easy to install and no flicker when i start it up for the first time.....

as i see, VVME HID kits are chinese made cheap but good quality ones but have US distributer in California......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts