Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SLK280
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have already posted this on SLKWorld, but just in case some of you guys aren't on that forum and could help, thought it might be prudent to post this here as well.

Am thinking of putting in an aftermarket HID kit to replace the stock halogen low-beams, and have done a little bit of research into the matter. Still have a few questions though:

1) Will the aftermarket HID bulb just fit into the housing for the lowbeam lights? I know its a H7 bulb fitting, and was just wondering if I got the rebased H7 HID bulb, whether it would just be a simple unplug the stock H7 bulb, and replace it with the HID H7 bulb? I've seen some threads around where someone said they had to retrofit the fitting so the HID would fit, and others have said that its just plug and play, not sure who's right.

2) In the interests of not causing too much glare and blinding oncoming drivers, do the HID kits differentiate between RHD and LHD vehicles? ie. if I buy a HID kit from the US, will this be geared towards LHD vehicles, and if I install the bulbs into my RHD SLK, it'll dazzle the oncoming drivers because its set incorrectly? I'm thinking probably not because its the way the lights are aimed more than anything, and my lights would already be aimed correctly for RHD. Just checking though

3) Also, on the SLKs, its a projector housing, which I've been told is better for aftermarket HIDs than a reflector housing which just causes way too much glare. After I install the HID bulbs, do I then have to re-adjust the lights because I would have thrown their alignment off during the install? Is there like a procedure I can follow so I adjust the lights to a legal height/whatever? Last thing i want to do is to cause inconvenience for other drivers, etc...(fast way to get your car keyed/etc...)

4) Will probably be using the harness that comes with the kits so that the lights are connected directly to the battery and its just triggered via a relay from the original stock lighting harness. If I've got XenonPresent=Yes in the diagnostic cluster and in the gateway, will this still cause a problem eg. its still expecting some resistance on that line? In that case, is it possible to switch off the Bulb checking of the diagnostic completely? I saw on a thread somewhere the following line "I'm not sure if there is a difference between US programed cars vs. non US programed cars on the StarDiag sheet but did your dealer had to change anything else on the StarDiag to make ur headlights work cause on the sheet there was also a light malfunction indicator category that could be enabled or disabled.". That wouldn't be too bad anyway if it was disabled, I could just chuck LEDs in the lamps that I want and not have to fool around with resistors....just a thought.

5) Is there a good spot in the light housing or near it where I can mount the ballasts? On the OEM xenon kits, where are these mounted? Will probably try and mount it in the same place if I can.

Would appreciate any answers anyone has or feedback. All info is good info :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone!

Has anyone tried installing the newer HID kits from various ebay sellers that state "doesn't require dealer reflash guaranteed not to show any indicators on dash, 100% plug and play etc. etc."

It seems as though all the threads and posts regarding HID retrofits were from 2007 and they all state that one must set computer to "HID Present" or something. However its been about a year now and so many ebay sellers claiming no flashing required. I just wanted to know if anyone has installed an HID kit recently, and whether or not the ebay sellers claims are in fact correct.

Could you post up where and how much you purchased recent HID kits that didnt require dealer reflash, true 100% plug and play kits?

thank you

Something like:
eBay Motors: HID XX Xenon Kit 4 MERCEDES BENZ R171 SLK280 SLK350 SLK (item 320306135266 end time Oct-06-08 18:37:09 PDT)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts