Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 ML320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i know this topic has probably been brough up several times throughout these forumas but i have a quick question. a while ago i purchased an aftermarket head unit from circuit city for my 98 ml320 and i brought it in to be installed and they said it was not compatible with my sound system. i have the stock bose sound system for the 98 and they said the head unit would not work the only head unit that works with my system is the stock one. is this true? or is there a way around it? by the way my head unit isn't navigation, its the one with tape player and no big screen. thanks a lot

·
Registered
1999 ML320
23 Posts
i have been looking on sites like circuit city and best buy; they have car compatability guides...you should have used that. if it will fit i think you should be able to make it work...... but you'll proly have to get an adaptor or new amps or something...i don't know for sure. but i'm sure someone in here does.

·
Registered
ML320/LexusLS460/LexusGS350
366 Posts
EM1977 said:
i know this topic has probably been brough up several times throughout these forumas but i have a quick question. a while ago i purchased an aftermarket head unit from circuit city for my 98 ml320 and i brought it in to be installed and they said it was not compatible with my sound system. i have the stock bose sound system for the 98 and they said the head unit would not work the only head unit that works with my system is the stock one. is this true? or is there a way around it? by the way my head unit isn't navigation, its the one with tape player and no big screen. thanks a lot
In the long run, you're better off bypassing the factory system and going all out with a full-blown overhaul. You're never going to achieve the sound you're hoping for by chopping into the Bose system. Those components were designed to work together.
If your $ allows, for around $1000, you can get a pretty good sounding system installed (speakers, amp, headunit) but I suggest that you do some research first on the components.
Just my $.02.

·
Registered
99 ML320
267 Posts
EM1977 said:
I recently installed a new headunit. It is pretty simple.

Remove old unit

Create a wiring harness adapter from the MB's ISO connectors to whatever your headunit had (I was lucky, mine was also ISO)

Either hookup the line level outputs of your new unit to the old speaker ISO connector, or hookup the speaker outputs of your new unit to it. In my case I used a $20 line level adapter and put that between the speakers outs of my unit and the speaker wires to the Bose amp.

Install new unit.

If you know what you are doing (I wasn't really) then this should be no more than a 1-2 hour job.

As for Circuitcity; they are useless, why did you bother going there? Return the radio and order one from Crutchfield. Better service, free install equipment and cheaper.

I got a Blaupunkt HU from them which fit perfectly, had ISO connectors and sounds great, even with the crappy Bose amp/speakers.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
77 Posts
They(Best Buy and Circuit City) lie like cheap rugs!! I don't think they really know what they're doing sometimes. It's kinda like bringing in your german automobile to a Ford dealership to have your car electronics worked on. They would know the car better if it was a Ford. I've found that going to a reputable audio/custom specialty shop who specialize in european/german cars is better. Only thing is that sometimes you pay a bit more for the labor(as compared to Circuit City or Best Buy). The Best Buy and Circuit City in my area refuse to work on "high end" cars due to insurance issues(If you look in my past postings there should be a story on what happened when I had my radio installed by Tweeter audio....who, by the way, isn't that good either. I don't even classify my Benzo as "high end" since it's older. Maybe if I drove a 911 turbo, then it would be different. Anyway, I have an AVIC-N2 for my head unit and use an Alpine amp to power the stock Bose sub. It all works!! 'cept the OEM cd changer croaked....or just doesn't work with my setup. Wish Pioneer would come up with a changer that would play DVD, MP3, and regular cd's so I could just swap out the OEM changer rotting away in the trunk!!

·
Registered
2000 ML 320
179 Posts
do u guys think it will be that simple to install a in dash cd/dvd player in a 2000 ML 320??? my changer refuses to work alltogether and i would rather have an in dash anyway but i dont want to have to rewire the ML or buy new amp/speakers. just a simple swap for the head unit. ???????

·
Registered
02' ML320: Mine, 07' GL450 and 03' SL500: Dad's
11 Posts
You should try taking your ML to an electronics place who specializes in installing car stereos. I installed an in-dash DVD screen and it works fine with my Bose system. They did have to do something special with the wiring, but they got the head unit to become compatible with my existing Bose system. I got the same answer from Circuit City when I went there the first time, so I went to a local specialty shop to get the job done. In the end, it was worth the extra money. Hope this helps.
Pontius

·
Registered
ml320 2002
388 Posts
any aftermarket head unit will work but you will need a seperate 4 channel amp (any cheap amp around $50 will do since its just stock speakers) in order for it to work. I'm sure any audio store can do it easily.

·
Registered
01ML55 84 Porsche 944, 03 Eurovan, 98 M3 4 door, 01 964 C4 Targa
148 Posts
I just stuck a Pioneer Divac D3 in my ML 55 this afternoon. I had been overanalyzing it. I got a Metra wiring adaptor, VW antenna adaptor, and two stereo preamps and connected it right into the Bose system. The little preamps allow taking the 1.5 V P/P Pioneer output and boosting it to the 4V P/P that the Bose likes. I had to use a hacksaw blade to cut off the plastic ears in the stock radio hole and also trim the piece of ABS plastic that came with the unit but it looks and sounds great, much better than the OE unit. My changer was already non-op and the CD based Nav was showing me 70 miles from my actual position. I had been told on another forum that the optical cable was for the Bose amp, not. It is just a toslink from the stock changer. The whole process took about an hour. The Pioneer Nav system did not even have to be connected to the speed sensor or reverse switch. I got in and drove around for 10 minutes and it was calibrated. I was so excited I ran back to Custom Sounds and got a 12" overhead LCD screen to replace the stock one. I will post pictures tomorrow of the completed system. It was well worth the time and money.

I will also post the model numbers of the parts, it was not a big deal to do, unlike what I have been reading and also what I have been told by "specialty" shops who all informed me it was all or nothing and a system w/ Nav would start at $2K +. I regretably disagree with the idea of just sticking an aftermarket amp on the Bose speakers, Bose is famous for making it difficult to interface their products w/ others. There is a lot of equalization going on w/ the Bose amp not to mention the 1 ohm DC voice coil resistance that presents a challenging load to say the least. Feeding the Bose system w/ a good clean signal results in a nice system. The subwoofer out on the Pioneer (and most other newer good headunits) also allows configuring a standard amplifier / subwoofer setup if you really want bump. I am a 55 YO engineer that listens to bluegrass so rapper bass does not matter to me. The new LCD is cool though as my 4 YO granddaughter likes to watch movies when we road trip.

Steve

·
Registered
2005 ML350SE
421 Posts
Just add a 5 channel amp to the stock bose speakers. Sounds awesome. The headunit wont sound good pushing those speakers...you willl also have to be very careful on how loud you crank it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts