Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

101 - 120 of 306 Posts

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,872 Posts
There is no one recommendation. It all depends on what you want to do, and how much you intend to spend. Please see the Primer on Audio Systems sticky in the blue backgrounded area toward the top of the page; it will provide you with information on what you face to upgrade.

Your car has a MOST fiber optic bus; that will help you to navigate through the Primer.

·
Registered
2004 E55 AMG
1 Posts
I have a 2004 E55 AMG with the Harmon Kardon sound system and I would like to switch to one of the Android head units.

From the research that I have done so far I have noticed that there are a large number of similar products and a range of price. I have also noticed that a lots of the sellers information on their products is full of contradictions and inaccurate specs. It seems the more that I research the more questions I have and at this point I am starting to get frustrated.

From what I can tell the Octa-Core 1.5 GHz RK-PX5 A53 (2015) processor is newer than the Quad-core 1.6 GHz Cortex A9 RK3188 (2013) however all of the units that I've seen running the Octa-Core are using Android 6.0 where as the Quad-Core units are running 7.1. Does anyone know why?

Are some brands better than others? the rear of the units seem to differ from one brand to the next and the connections are also different.

Has anyone used the factory installed microphone with one of these units and if so what was required to hook it up and how did it work. I read that the person that started this thread received an adapter with theirs but opted for the microphone than came with the head unit. I'm sure with my luck I'll get one that doesn't have the adapter.

Despite there being a variation in price I can't seem to find any difference in the Harmon Kardon Audio Optic Interface and I assume these are all made in the same place. Does anyone have anything that contradicts this and if so which one is recommended?

I think that for my installation I will require the 6m optional antenna cable. Is this the case for all the units or can you get away with out this with some of them?

If anyone has any other tips I would really appreciate any guidance and I apologize if I have asked questions which have already been answered.

·
Registered
w211 E220 CDI 2009
1 Posts
I am looking to get a unit like this, I have one question however: I currently have an Audio APS 50 in my w211. Is the fiber optic adapter compatible in this case, or do I need extra wiring?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,872 Posts
I'm not ignoring the preceding two questions; I am just not familiar with the units being considered to replace the OE equipment, and cannot comment.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello together, I just recently got my E350 and couldnt be happier, but the NTG2.5 is getting on my nerves and has to be replaced :)
I did my research and think, the installation should be possible without spending hundreds of extra dollars for somebody, who does not know anything about MOST. Nevertheless, I still got some questions and hope to find help here. I ordered an MTCD xtrons unit from amazon and the fiber optics interface from avin:

HU: https://www.amazon.com/XTRONS-Octa-Core-Capacitive-Monitoring-Mercedes-Benz/dp/B06XQRZNGK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509148257&sr=8-1&keywords=w211+xtrons
HK Interface: https://avinusa.com/most-fiber-optic-amp-interface-for-e-class-cls-slk-s-class-mercedes-benz.html

Just to recap the installation and what each piece does + questions:

1) Splice the CANbox wires into the fiber optic wires along the driverside doorsill to have steering wheel control, wake up signal, etc. Why can't I unplug the cables from the MB harness and plug em into the CANbox connector directly?
2) Have to ground the HK Amp Interface, plug it into the MB fiber optic harness and connect the front RCA cables to connect MOST amp and therefore the speakers (eventually with ground loop isolators for the RCA and ground cables).
3) Run an extension cable from the amp for the antenna . Would it make sense to also run an extension for the GPS or would I lose too much signal over the long cable? So far I have only seen additional gps antenna wiring to the dashboard.

Another question is about the mic, is it possible to use the built in mic? Same here, only have seen additional mics installed.

Thank you in advance, I will document the installation and post the results.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Probably answered question 1 myself, probably because the CAN wires dont run to the HU, but in this video there was no need to splice into CAN wires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello together,

I am Jan from Germany and I registered in this forum because of this great Thread :) I have a CLS 500 and tried to equip it with this aftermarket radio for some time already. I bought this radio:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Autoradio-Android-7-1-GPS-Navi-DVD-für-Mercedes-Benz-CLS-W219-E-Klasse-W211-DAB/252672737435?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

plus a canbus decoder. I connected the CAN bus (the W219 has a gateway with the canbus cables under the stering wheel, remove the plastic cover wih 3 screws and you are there) and the power supply and the radio works in general. I still have some issues and I would like to know, if someone could solve them:

1. I have a small compartment instead of a CD-changer. It does not open anymore. Why? Did someone make it work?
2. When I go in reverse, the music stops while it shows the rear view camera picture (also if no camera is connected)
3. When I select "Audio" in the driver display I can change tracks. When I select e.g. the speed and I press up it also changes tracks
4. The clock is usually changed in the comand. Does anyone have an idea how I can change it in the driver display?

So these are the main issues I have with the radio at the moment, hope I can also fix that..... I have gather some experience in my installation sessions, so if someone has something, let me know.

Regards

Jan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Jan, The Canbus must be compatible to your model. I read somewhere about those issues but never followed up. Isnt the compartment mechanic?
The clock in the instrument cluster is not synched with the Head Unit time. I had to manually change both clocks, the IC clock can be changed in the settings.
Regarding the reverse and the steering wheel buttons I dont know what you could do. I will install my deck this weekend and let you know if I ran into similar problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

I did some futher research and made some progress with the tpüics but still have not fixed them....

1. it opens electrically but it needs to get the signal from Comand before it opens. I do not have any idea how ro do this.
2. This can be changed in the menu of the device. Fixed.
3. I asked the support of xtrons for this and I am still waiting for an answer.
4. I do not have a setting in the instrument cluster as I changed it in the Comand before. I read you have the setting in the IC when you do not have Comand. I should be possible with Star Diagnose to remove the Comand from the system. Then this setting should appear. Anybody experience with this?
@alema:please let me know if you face the same issues after your installatîon?

Jan

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I was able to hook up the radio, the steering wheel controls are working (Canbox is working) but the original amp is not powering on. Also the sound is going through the main harness and not the RCA outputs which plugin into the avin most converter, probably because the amp is not powered and its going through the radio built-in amp.

Someone know which pin from the factory harness is sending power signal to the amp? I have attached the original wiring pinout from the ntg2.5

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Alema,

I also did not get any sound in thenBeginning. I then connecred the Most Converter to other audio outputs and then it worked fine (I used FR and FL). Dos the Stereo give you any sound when you touch theninput cable from the Most converter? Mine did so I knew it was working.

Do you also have the Issues 1+3 which I described?

Jan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, Cant tell you what to do, I couldnt figure out how to overcome the issue with the MOST wake-up signal (NTG2.5). The amp simply doesn't come on because of it.

Is it possible to power the amplifier when ignition ON or is it simply impossible to take the Master (factory HU with AGW) off? I assume the wake up signal only comes from the original NTG2.5.
And does the MOST converter get it's power from the same source as the radio or is it ok to splice it to the power of the lighter?

·
Registered
5 Posts
HI just wondering if there is anyone in the DMV area that can help me with a similar install.
I visited around 10 shops and no one would touch the unit because it is an off brand chinese android hu or fiber optics...or just plain lazy making excuses,trying to convince me they are cheap and will brake fast or won't work properly and go pioneer with new amp for 10x cost.

I wanna try and do it myself I'm just affraid i would just screw it up and would prefer a experienced person do it. The thought of splicing wires and running cable throughout the vechicle just seems complicated.You guys make it look so easy.

Please pm if you can install for me or we can work on it together.
I will compensate generously of course.

04 E320 4matic wagon (Harmon/Kardon) fiber optics.

https://www.seicane.com/android-hd-touchscreen-for-2002-2008-mercedes-benz-e-class-w211-e200-e220-e230-e240-dvd-player-car-radio-with-gps-navi-bluetooth-wifi-usb-mirror-link-steering-wheel-control-1080p-video-s6905

https://www.seicane.com/2002-2012-mercedes-benz-e-class-w211-e200-e220-e230-e240-e270-e280-e300-e320-e350-e420-e500-e550-e55-e63-etc-car-optical-fiber-decoder-most-box-bose-harmon-kardon-audio-optic-interface-sc02

This is my first post ive been lurking for months reading about these units i feel disappointed no pro wants to or "can't" install it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

I have the NTG1 with a seperate AGW in the trunk. The signal goes from the most converter to the AGW. As far as I have understood from my NTG1, the AGW does not need any other wakeup signal from the Head unit than the Most Signal through the fibreoptics. As you did not change anything in the trunk, you did not change any power supply of the AGW, so it should start when the Most converter is working.

Most converter get the supply from same source like head unit.

Have you tried what I suggested with the cables?
Do you also have the Issues 1+3 which I described?

Jan

·
Registered
19 Posts
NTG1 is not NTG2.5, MOST wake-up signal is send by the HU as master of the MOST ring, its a fact. Therefore I didn't look into any other issues. Of course I used the most converter with the front RCA outputs, but since the amp is off sound is going through the harness instead through the fiber optics converter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quick question i just hooked mine up and i know i loose some speakers but is it normal to have only the drivers side speakers working? I get no sound from right side. I get driver tweeter and speaker and back seat speaker plus 2 speakers on hood in trunk. Nothing on passenger side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also any tips on mouting the gps? Wheres a good spot to mount it? I barely fit everything in the dash still in process of getting it flush.

·
Registered
2 Posts
w211 can-b high and low ???

Hello,

can-b wires are brown and red/brown cables.
Which one is can high and can low ????

regards

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI *black on black with nearly every option*
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Hello,

can-b wires are brown and red/brown cables.
Which one is can high and can low ????

regards
No idea. I just tried whichever combination worked.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

101 - 120 of 306 Posts