Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 100 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
2008 ML550 W164
9 Posts
2008 ML550 HK unit, replace

I am using the Scosche MZ02AR FOR the MOST FIBER INTERFACE. I have hooked everything up so far, however there are three wires labeled Key 1, Key 2 and ground. I hooked everything up- soldered connections and everything for speaker wires, reverse, CSS, everything however the only audio I had was beeps from volume, and I didn't hook those 3 (key1, key2 and ground) up, if you know the MZ02AR unit or search for it, the directions were terrible... didn't even talk about those cables at all.

Things weren't working well, I assume it's those cables fault... so I'm a bit lost. I naturally assume I needed to hook those up but had no luck figuring out where they go...(and no audio)... SO- was I auto-less because I didn't hook them up and perhaps the fiber unit was not getting appropriate power to push the amp... (I hadn't hooked up the e-break cable either) or do you have any thoughts?

I had no back up camera... there are three connections that look like antenna cables, one blue, one yellow and a black one... which is antenna? SINCE I a missing the backup camera, I again, assume one may be the back up camera, but I have no idea how to make that work with the MZ02AR, that unit says it maintains all factory functions including steering wheel controls, backup camera, etc... so yeah. Now I'm lost...

·
Registered
2008 ML550 W164
9 Posts
Hi,

I am not an expert on ICE / Multimedia by any means, but I do have an excellent understanding of MB CAN Systems, and I've fitted a few Aftermarket Systems in a variety of vehicles :wink

I have seen 3 identical looking versions of these units (for W220), before I bought mine, (ERISIN).

They all have different wiring connections to each other, XTrons is different to ERISIN, is different to another alleged ERISIN :frown.

You have XTrons, I have ERISIN.

The common theme with this is that the CAN Adapter box turns the CAN Signals from the HU into codes that the Car will understand, for example Radio and Track Number Info to be displayed on the Dash Cluster Display..........

The box also turns CAN Signals from the Car into codes that the HU will understand, for example, Wake Up, the Car is in Reverse Gear, Buttons on Steering Wheel pressed etc etc .

So, all CAN adapter units should have 4 CAN Wires, a TX and RX connected to the HU, and a TX and RX connected to the Car.

Therefore I certainly don't think cutting them between CAN adapter and H/U was a good idea, and connecting just one pair to both HU and Car probably may not work either............

It seems unlikely to me that the HU would transmit (unintelligeable to the Car) codes to the CAN Adapter Box, which would then transmit (unintelligible to the HU) codes to the Car via the same pair of wires, and Vice - Versa...........

What I would do is to reconnect the cut wires, and be looking for another pair coming from the CAN adaptor, which should be connected to the Car :wink

There is also a couple of different CAN Bus Type Settings for Mercedes CAN's in the HU Settings Menus :wink

HTH,

Cheers Dave
Hey Dave, I have everything working and since you know the can bus, where are the connections to get the backup camera to work with my aftermarket unit, I can't seems to deduce where the video and power is on a 2008 ML550 with HK and fiber optics... I thought it wouldn't be as complex and nowhere online I can find the set to to get this going... any thoughts?

·
W220 Moderator
S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
5,851 Posts
Hi,

I have no knowledge of the particular system you have, but.........

Most Reverse Cam systems I have fitted Rev Cam needs +ve feed from Reverse lamp bulb, and an Earth -
Then it has a Video out (AV) lead that connects to the HU, which is usually a specific "Phono" AV type input.

Also the Head Unit needs to know the Car is in Reverse, some sense this from Can Bus, others need the +ve reverse lamp feed.

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
Ml350 2006
4 Posts
Xtrons

FANTASTIC write-up konasteph.
A couple corrections/observations though:

Can bus connections- you DON'T have to run the CANBUS connection to the Trunk, and actually I would advise against it. There are can-B wires you can tap into both in the drivers side raceway under the driver's side carpet by the door, and also there should be a set you can tap into directly behind where the CD changer is. They are a pair of twisted together brown/brown-red wires.

As for the connections to make at the xtrons HU, somthing I didn't discover till AFTER I connected the can bus wires:
The can bus signal from the car actually feeds both the ACC line AND illumination line going into the xtrons unit. So really, the only connections you need to make for the head unit to operate correctly is the can bus wires, and the + & - connections at the factory plug that went into the back of the HU. You don't need to tap into a switched source for illumination OR ACC.

The Xtrons website actually has a killer deal for the head unit/fiber optic decoder, $469 for the bundle! Or just $99 for the decoder alone. Buying that decoder gives you the freedom to install literally any aftermarket head unit you could ever want. Plus it's cheaper than what Avin offers. (I can pretty much guarantee both companies have the same supplier for the decoders, my Avin fiber decoder came with a sticker on top with a bunch of Chinese writing.)

The install is relatively easy, just take it slow and double check your connections.
I read your post I just bought the xtrons FOB02 to make my fiber optic system work to I can have sound,so my question can you please help me and give me the instructions how I install and hook up the FOB02 by details and how I power it. Thank you

·
Registered
2006 CLS500
1 Posts
CANBUS installation

Thank you for your great post! I followed your instruction and I figured out everything except the CANBUS Installation. My CANBUS is the red one like yours. What I understand from your post is that I should connect two green wires coming out of CANBUS to the BROWN/BROWN+RED CAN-B wires and this is exactly what I just did!And than I got stuck here!:crying nothing comes out of the CANBUS to connect to the HU! I guess I have to look at the sticker on the HU to find what wires belong to CAN-TX and CAN-RX! Then I should connect these to the wires with the same color on the CANBUS white plug! Am I right? I really appreciate if you clarify that.

This last weekend I got around to installing an android 5.1.1 aftermarket head unit for my 2005 E class. Normally, the only way to do this while maintaining decent sound quality would be to completely bypass the fiber optics and install a new amp in the trunk. NOT anymore! AVIN (which just so happens to be a sponsor of benzworld:wink) has a product out for Mercedes vehicles equipped with MOST fiber optics for the audio system, which converts the analog RCA output from the head unit into the MOST digital signal that's sent over fiber! its plug and play from the head unit to the fiber optics plug. Priced at $250, i think this is a fantastic alternative to completely rewiring your cars audio system!

The sound quality is fantastic too, no different than factory from what my young ears can tell.

This install information is specific to my E Class, obviously. But it would extend to any benz equipped with Command and MOST fiber optics between MY's 2003-2011.

Install:

CAUTION!!!!!!!!! BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE FIBER OPTIC WIRES YOU WILL BE WORKING WITH. DO NOT kink them, they WILL break.

The head unit is bought is : For Mercedes Benz E Class W211 4 Core Android 5 1 DVD GPS 2Din Radio Car Stereo | eBay

The Fiber optics interface for E CLASS is from: https://avinusa.com/most-fiber-optic-amp-interface-for-w211-e-class-mercedes-benz.html
The fiberoptics interface for ML,GL, and R class is from: https://avinusa.com/most-fiber-optic-amp-interface-for-mercedes-ml-gl-r.html

first things first is removing the radio and CD changer. There's plenty of information and videos out there on how to do that.

Next is to wire up ground and 12v constant for both he radio and Avin box. (the AVIN box NEEDS to be connected to constant 12v, NOT a switched source.) ACC is controlled through CAN-B, which ill cover later. now connect the RCA output to the RCA input from the avin box.

NOTE: On the radio i installed, i had to connect the FRONT RCA outputs, not the rears, because for some reason the Phone Bluetooth audio output only came out of the Front RCA output.

Connect the Fiber optic plug into the avin box. I installed the box above the driver side Knee Bolster, that is removed with two screws. I also routed the GPS antenna through there, and up the driver a pillar to the windshield.
The CAN wires need to be run to the CAN-B bridge located under the carpet in the plastic raceway along the drivers side rocker panel. Its a skinny rectangular plastic connector that has tons of Brown and Brown/Red wires running to it. splice on to each one of those wires, and there's your CAN connections. That controls your reverse lead, Radio turn on, steering wheel controls, dimming when headlights are on, and a couple other things i cant remember.

Connect any other optional equipment you want, like reverse camera, ipod, AUX-in, ETC.

Now its time to run the Antenna cable to the trunk! Run that cable under the carpet along the rocker pannel and under the rear seat, and then through to the trunk. you need to connect that to the LARGE antenna wire going into the AMP. remove the amp by removing the 3 10MM bolts holding it in place (its located on the drivers side of the trunk hidden between the fender and false trunk wall, right behind the fuse box.)

There are TWO connections going to/from the Amp with the same connector, disconnect BOTH, and connect the antenna cable you ran to the large diameter cable that you just unplugged from the amp.

Secure the amp back in place, button everything up, and you should be good to go. It was a pretty easy install that i did over the weekend. it could be done in a single day if you busted your butt and had a handy guide like this to help you out. :wink

Here's a video i did with a quick review of the head unit as well as some general install information.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VWv87xeDT8

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings Folks,

Just installed Erisin e6501B with xtrons FOB01 in my 2008 e350 wagon...all is well and sorted except the dreaded AUDIO OFF message on the cluster display...steering wheel control buttons function as they should for the most part (when in some cluster menus up and down arrows continue to change tracks while navigating options on the cluster menu) so whatever not a huge deal but I would like to have the track info or number/radio station etc display and not a bloody bold AUDIO OFF message.

I've gone about in to the extra settings in the headunit, canbus is set to none/off and in this configuration everything works as previously noted above. Now, when I try to select a canbus option nothing works anymore (no volume, phone buttons etc). Out of principal alone this is driving me insane like I'm missing something and have spent days looking over my install and various forum posts for possible solutions...maybe I'm missing something very obvious or maybe I'm not but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the other infos in this post along with others...please help me button this all up!

·
Registered
2006 S500 4Matic
2 Posts
Help with CAMBUS cables

Hi guys,

I'm trying to install a Xtrons head unit on my 2006 s500. It has the fiber optic system with the Bose speakers. Removing the factory HU reveals 2 connectors. One with 2 orange cables (fiber optic) and another one with 3 wires. I do not know what those 3 wires are. My question is regarding the CANBUS connection. Someone here mentioned the CAN cables might be behind the original HU. Can anyone help me identify them?

:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
2006 S500 4Matic
2 Posts
Guys, these is the only harness my stock HU has. It has the fiber optics orange cables and 3 more. Can anyone help me identify those 3 cables? Do I need to tap into any of those with the Xtronics harness? Do any of those carry CANBUS info? If not, how does CANBUS communicate with the stock HU?

thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI *black on black with nearly every option*
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
little update from me guys:

i'm not active enough on the forums to answer all your questions. Read through THIS thread as well as this mbworld thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/595334-after-market-android-4-4-4-quad-core-complete-install-vids-pics-txt.html

Its a safe bet that someone on one of these 2 threads has had your problem and posted a solution.

Just a little more information about install:
I'm 98.7% sure that all MOST systems on Benz cars have the same connector that goes into the HU (Pictured directly above in post by Arnoldo Lezama.) This connector consists simply of the 2 fiberoptic wires that you need to connect to the fiberoptic decoder, as well as 12v+ (RED) Ground (BROWN). i cant remember, but i believe the blue wire isnt used in this install. the only other connections you need (At least for the XTRONS setup) is the 2 CAN-B wires. From what i'm hearing, these wires may be different colors and in different locations for different models, but i'm not 100% sure.
If you can't find your CANBUS wires, startup a thread in the corresponding forum and ask other members where your CAN-B wires run, and where you can tap into them.
In my case, the CAN system ended up working as keyed turn-on as well as illumination (diming when headlights are on).

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,889 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Greetings!

Even if the world lasted for another trillion years, I would not have enough time to appropriately thank all the posters on this thread. You gentleman are just awesome , and there is no way I could proceed with my Xtrons install in my 2004 S-430 without you.

I have read all the threads in all the forums multiple times, watched every youtube video there is, and even recited forum postings as if praying. The last thing in my mind before falling asleep, and the first thing as I awake in the morning, is the Xtrons installation.

And yet, I have a question!

My question is: can I tap into any Canbus B wires or do I need specific ones? I have memorized the Canbus B wiring for the W220, in fact I recite it in a hushed voice when I get my nightly bout of insomnia, but I still can't figure out that simple concept. My one and only neuron is totally unable to process that information.

So, if I find a green pair of Canbus B wires, lets say in the drivers side under the carpet (Apparently W220 Canbus B wires are green and not twisted), do I tap into any of them or do I have to look for the ones going specifically to the steering wheel buttons or dashboard? Sorry...such an ignorant and oligofrenic question...but I'm hoping that somebody will feel sorry enough for me to answer my one and only question.

I wish all of you tailwinds and fair weather!

Thank you for this amazing thread.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI *black on black with nearly every option*
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
The CAN-b network is all one network. Think of it as a continuous Ethernet cable that runs everywhere in the interior of the car, transmitting data to and from everything that's connected to it. You can tap into them anywhere you find them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Rossafuss!

Looks like the "X30/6 connector bus" in my 2004 S-430 is in the area on top of the brake pedal according to this document I have: MB 203 220 CAN Bus Network.pdf...so it should be easy to tap into it from the Command compartment...it's right next to it.

Thanks again for your great and informative posts and videos...I would not be able to do this without your help.

My Xtrons box and accessories arrives Monday and I will start the install on Friday. The GPS and Radio antenna extension cables are coming via slower shipping, so that will be the limiting factor...

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,889 Posts
Sooo, boeingflier - what kind of Boeing do you fly? nearly 20 years in B-52s here!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Skylaw,

First, thank you for all the amazing posts and information you've provided the community for years...I've been reading your stuff since I got my S-430 back in 2011! One of the first things I did back then was to install the Dension 500 and the bluetooth puck...all of which worked flawlessly until my Command HU started getting the dreaded flash system error about a year ago.

Android HU arrives tomorrow!

As for the Boeing stuff, nothing nearly as exiting as the mighty B52...I just fly the B-767 and 757...If it ain't Boeing...I ain't going! (Actually I flew an Airbus for 16 years also:).

Thanks again!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,889 Posts
Hello Skylaw,

As for the Boeing stuff, nothing nearly as exiting as the mighty B52...I just fly the B-767 and 757...If it ain't Boeing...I ain't going! (Actually I flew an Airbus for 16 years also:).

Thanks again!
Nothing wrong with those! I have a bud who has also flown Airbuses and 757/767 - and by far, prefers the Boeings.

·
Registered
2009, E300, W211
2 Posts
Does anybody knows I can find somewhere a MOST audio convertor for a W211 with COMAND APS NTG2.5 (is a E300 2009 Canadadian edition)?
I understood that NAV-TV does not have anything for it.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,889 Posts
Are you looking for a device that takes analog output from a non-MOST head unit and converts it to fiber optic signals for the Bose amp? If you're looking for that, you are correct - NAV-TV does not offer it any longer for your car. It was called the MOST-HUR (head unit replacement, I think). Unfortunately, I do not know of an alternative.

·
Registered
2009, E300, W211
2 Posts
I have an Harman Kardon amp and COMAND APS NTG2.5 head unit. NAV-TV can translate only COMAND APS NTG1 systems.

81 - 100 of 307 Posts