Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 80 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
'09 ML550, '12 BMW 650i Cab (lucky wife)
757 Posts
First, the radio antenna connection is in the trunk. There was no antenna connection on the back of my old HU. I have to run a cable from the new HU to the trunk and swap the antenna from the AGW to it.
What was the antenna connected to back there? My HU also has no antenna connection (2009 ML) and for the life of me I can't find anything in the back of the vehicle that is the FM antenna! I have tried disconnecting every visible coax connection in turn while the radio is on, and none of them affects the FM sound. I have seen mention of an antenna amp (or booster), but I can't find one. Does your car have one? If so, what does it look like?

BTW, what is the "audio gateway", AGW?

Thx!

·
Registered
2000 E55
1 Posts
Hi everyone thanks for all the great info here! I have a question I live in Japan and want to install one of these units or similar to my Japanese spec car but have noticed the rear conectors look very different to what I have seen on this thread. The HU look very similar with Navi TV ETC but the Jap cars also have a Midi player built in to HU as well. The Navi Disc loads into the HU and there is a CD changer that look very similar. Car has HK sound. Please see image of rear HU. Any help advice appreciated.
IMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rossafuss,

Hope you can help me. I've installed an XTrons Android 5.1.1 unit in my 2006 CLS (219). Like you I'm using the MOST box from AVIN. I've followed your excellent instructions, but I've obviously missed something somewhere.

About an hour ago, I had the new HU connected and playing music. But after sliding it into the dash there's no audio. Everything seems to work otherwise and if I plug a set of headphones into the front R and L outputs that normally go to the MOST box, I do have audio through them.

Previously when I first set the unit up and got this issue, I thought the MOST might not be working because I had not reconnected the optical connector to the CD Changer. Reconnecting the optical connector alone on the changer didn't help however and I had to install the other two connectors. Once I had the CD changer completely connected I restarted the XTrons HU and audio worked fine. Put the unit in the dash, turned it back on and no audio. Removed it check all the wiring and saw no problems. Still get audio from the front L and R through headphones.

I never read where anyone else had to have the CD changer connected for the new unit to work and with audio coming from the headphones it seems like something in the AVIN MOST.

Any ideas?

D
From rossafuss said

There are TWO connections going to/from the Amp with the same connector, disconnect BOTH, and connect the antenna cable you ran to the large diameter cable that you just unplugged from the amp.

I'm trying to install the xtron one same as your and having the same problem. No sound coming out from speaker ! The antenna one I connect it to the 5m. antenna extension cable already but how about the other one? Did you remove the other cable-the fiber optic with orange cable and leave it with out connections? What else do ineed to connect ? Could you help me go through wire by wire?

Sincerely and hope less
Siamese211

·
Registered
19 Posts
For reminding,I'm installing the head unit from x-tron. Today i go through all my connections again. I test the signal out by connect a speaker to front rca output and find out that there is the sound so light (almost like an ant is whispering ) comes out from the Head-unit eventhough i turn the volume up to the max. I'm wondering which button do i need to press to activate the sound. I attached the connection from my wiring loom which is connected to the can bus box and the Fob-01(fiber optic bypass). From the picture you will see the old fiber optic cable from the car is connected to the imput wiring loom and the other one is connected to the Fob-01. There is no any other wire for connecting to the can-b bridge. Does anybody knows that I have to bypass them from the wiring loom myself to make it work? I believe it should have the same configuration with Avin but any idea?

Attachments

·
Registered
1987 d300turbo, 2006 e320cdi
3 Posts
this was the most relevant writeup for my project. I have the 2006 e320 cdi and I bought the 5.1 android extrons box. Interestingly Extrons is offering the same avin fiberoptic decoder (Avin) for $99. Interesting also the original comand NTG1 has only 2 connectors: the aux input going to the 2.5 mm koax connector in the glovebox, and the fiberoptic conn. with 3 wires. No antenna(!!!!) You lost me with the can bus connection, I have to read more on those.

·
Registered
2000 E320 4 matic, 2006 E320 CDI, 2009 E300 4matic Sedan
142 Posts
Konasteph- can you keep us informed on how the install, function and overall performance goes with this XTRONS Command unit please?

Did you need to order any other items other than the Fibreoptic decoder; microphone, maps?

Are you installing a reverse camera?

I am interested to know your results. Which vehicle will you install this unit in?

·
Registered
3 Posts
progress report installing Xtrons Android 5.1 unit on 2006 w211 e320 cdi, US versio

Everything is working. Sygic Navi works offline, but you need to pay a moderate amount at the Playstore, approx. $30 to download decent features, Maps may be downloaded per region, as needed. Good enough, easy to use. The GPS antenna that comes with the unit is quite sensitive, this part of the installation was easy.
Now, Xtrons does not make this job easy, Do not count on them to get questions answered, they will respond quickly and politely, but the content of their answers, and their understanding of your question is limited. They admit they do not have a US service unit. OK. I doubt they have appropriate licenses even in China. Should you still buy it? Definitely, Ebay gives you better protection. I know of several installs, none of them went bellyup. Yet.
One Thing: the older your car, the easier it will be to get this Xtrons unit to work.
Moving on to a description of the wires on the harness. The unit comes with three main harnesses and a couple of smaller harnesses.
The 3 main harnesses are ones that have the fairly big clutzy connectors on them. You will use one of those. which one? After you remove the old Comand unit, there is a connector behind it that stays with the car, and you find a harness in the Xtrons box that fits, obviously that's the one.
In my case, no such luck, my NTG1 Comand APS had only 2 smallish connectors One combination Fiberoptics plus 3 wires, and the aux input (goes off into the glove box).
I could use any one of the three harnesses. Obviously I chose the harness with the least clutzy connector, it is just ballast in the car, will not even be connected to anything.
All harnesses have the same connector for the Xtrons box, obviously.
The loose wires, are pretty much the same on all harnesses:
Yellow: marked Batt. , Black marked Ground (splice into the wires to the combination Connector you took off the old HUfiberoptics/wires brown orange (+12) and brown (GND))
Red: marked ACC: this is the ignition wire. Take it from the cig lighter, red/wht, splice.
Pink: Brake ctl, only needed when you want to prevent watching DVD while driving. Don't know where to get that from
Brown, Brn/Blk: Key1 Key2..only needed for old style steering wheel controls, pre canbus (I didn't use them: N/C)
Orange/Blk: Back Car...I don't install rear camera, so I left it N/C
Orange: Ill, get from cig lighter illumination lead Blu/grey.
The canbus decoder, is included in the Xtrons box.
gets plugged into the white smaller connector hanging off the main Xtrons harness.
May have yello and black loose wires, if present, splice those into YL and BLK leads of Main Xtrons harness
2 green wires hanging off the canbus decoder: those are for steering wheel control. What to connect them to?
Go to the trunk of the car and find the Audio Gateway. Cancel all appointments for the rest of the week.
This is where the fun begins. The Audio Gateway is a box, I will inlude pictures of it, that is in the deepest hiding place the car has to offer.
Go to the trunk. Remove all covers and shields on the left side inside the trunk. then
watch this video practice your russian, BUT the fellow is showing exactly those 4 or 5 nuts and bolts you have to remove to get to it.
After you removed those the AGW can be rotated out and can now be pulled forward. Hooray. The 2 green wires from the can bus decoder will connect to the AGW's combination connector's BRN and RED/BRN wires. Also see the picture I am including. Caution: the picture is misleading, we are not talking about the connector on the Comand HU but on the AGW!

Wich leaves only the fiberoptics decoder to connect. It is not included per se but is an option when you order the Xtrons box, or order separately Avinusa unit looks identical except it costs 100 bucks more and has AVIN written on it. But I believe the innards are the same.
It has a connector for the 2 fiberoptics leads. Take those from the Comand HU plug...look closely, the Brown Command combination connector has an inner connector for just the 2 fiberoptics leads. Unclip that and insert into the Xtrons fiberoptics decoder. The yellow and black wires (if present) get spliced into Yellow and Black leads on main Xtrons harness.
Now go find a small harness with all the RCA Audio connectors, in the Xtrons box. Connect the Right and Left Front speaker wires to the RCA red and white inputs of the Xtrons fiberoptics decoder. If the decoder has (and I think it does) YL and BLK wires hanging off it, splice them into the Yl and BLK wires of the main Xtrons harness.

The antenna.
The real reason we extracted the AGW (Audio Gateway, you remember!) out of your wife's car (??) is so we could get to the antenna. So there are 2 antennas! take the one with the fat wire (BLK Coax) and wrestle the connector off the AGW. Depress the black tab on the connector right next to the chassis with some pliers (way I had to do it) and pull it off.
Go to the Xtrons box and retrieve the antenna converter. Connect that to the loose black antenna wire you pulled off the AGW. The other end to a previously bought 18ft antenna wire with both male and female ends. The Male end will go into the Xtrons box Antenna plug, the female end into the Xtrons antenna converter in the trunk.

You should now have a basically functioning unit. You can run the 3 wires that are going to the trunk outside the car for testing it all (I did) and then think of how you are going to put everything back together, good Luck, with that.

Now some thoughts: It is a system not without quirks. The steering wheel controls are not what they used to be. Plus you are wrestling with android now. "why doesn't the radio just quit when I want it to ". Now you are into the settings (again) While driving. You get my drift.
Don't endanger your life. The short cut buttons on the side of the screen work, but not without quirks.

I would say, The Comand system was pretty good but if it is broken anyway....probably worth it.

file:///home/step/e320/219%20HO%20Networking%20(ACB-ICC)%2009-03-02.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI *black on black with nearly every option*
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
FANTASTIC write-up konasteph.
A couple corrections/observations though:

Can bus connections- you DON'T have to run the CANBUS connection to the Trunk, and actually I would advise against it. There are can-B wires you can tap into both in the drivers side raceway under the driver's side carpet by the door, and also there should be a set you can tap into directly behind where the CD changer is. They are a pair of twisted together brown/brown-red wires.

As for the connections to make at the xtrons HU, somthing I didn't discover till AFTER I connected the can bus wires:
The can bus signal from the car actually feeds both the ACC line AND illumination line going into the xtrons unit. So really, the only connections you need to make for the head unit to operate correctly is the can bus wires, and the + & - connections at the factory plug that went into the back of the HU. You don't need to tap into a switched source for illumination OR ACC.

The Xtrons website actually has a killer deal for the head unit/fiber optic decoder, $469 for the bundle! Or just $99 for the decoder alone. Buying that decoder gives you the freedom to install literally any aftermarket head unit you could ever want. Plus it's cheaper than what Avin offers. (I can pretty much guarantee both companies have the same supplier for the decoders, my Avin fiber decoder came with a sticker on top with a bunch of Chinese writing.)

The install is relatively easy, just take it slow and double check your connections.

·
Registered
3 Posts
add-on to replacing comand HU with Xtrons android 5.1 in w211

I forgot to write all the obvious disclaimers, such as do I know that all I am saying is true, Definitely, perhaps, and so forth. I am sure the right canbus wires are found elsewhere in the car, I just wanted to get the ones I knew would work, vs. the trial and error with too many variables. But yes I will look under the cd changer (there wasn't one in my car, so I wonder if the can bus wires are even there) If they are I will definitely use them. Thanks!!
But here is something else I found: the network block diagram plus description for the w211. (Maybe I even found it in this forum, I really don't know) I know a little bit about networking in general, so I can tell you, the fiberoptics decoder from Xtrons or whoever makes it, is so much dumber than what the MOST bus actually requires. If it was the same as what was in the HU, then we could use the excellent tuner thats inside the Becker AGW. Plus a good deal of other features. Plus it only uses the front speaker inputs from the Xtrons box and then there is the obvious shortcomings of substandard shielding etc, etc. And I am pretty sure it only decodes audio, no control signals from the MOST bus, at least that is my hunch.
AND the Xtrons comes preloaded with software, such as the music player. If you go and download VLC, lets say, your steering wheel buttons won't work as expected. So remember you are not sitting in your livingroom patzing around with a tablet, you are driving, trying to fix another annoying problem. I am still sceptical. But just to add the GROM box (just google it) will cost you 400$ (?) I think. I am definitely appreciative of the Comand System, it just so outdated and to upgrade to a newer comand system is megabucks also.

Attachments

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
For some reason i cant edit my origional post on this thread. No idea why. ANYWAYS, Here's a quick update:

couple things i missed in the video:

Some of you were wondering about sound quality......... The sound quality is far superior to factory command, at least in my opinion. Not because the original factory system sucks, but because the sound processors in the unit as well as the equalizer customization you can achieve with the android head units mean you can fine tune the system to what sounds good to you. Its much more than just base and treble levels. the way the sound is delivered to the AWG and the way the MOST interface converts analog to digital optical out, in my opinion is indistinguishable from what you got with factory command. So if you're having sound quality concerns, i dont think that's an issue.

The Custom Rom i installed is leaps and bounds above the factory software. better looking too i might add.

Instructions are in the link:
[ROM][RK3188][HD] Malaysk ROMs for any yet k? | Android Auto

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,889 Posts
Thanks for your diligence and the effort it took to share your knowledge with us!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #72

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,889 Posts
Generally, members can edit only for a limited time after making a post - if I recall, it is 30 days. You can PM me the change you want, and I can make it.

·
Registered
2008 ML W164 320CDI
6 Posts
Hi all! I have a 2008 ML W164 with fiber optic amp. Can you tell me wich model from Xtrons should i buy for my car, and to be able to upgrade the firmware with the XDADevelopers one (as from the 1-st page video)? I saw there are models with MOST addapter as well.
Also i'm from Europe so is there a difference installing this headunit appart from this in US?

·
Registered
2 Posts
CLS 55 AMG (w219) Aftermarket Head Unit: Dash displays AUDIO OFF with head unit ON –

First off, Thanks Rossafuss and everyone for this awesome write up. Very helpful indeed.
So here goes:

Car Model:
2006 CLS 55 AMG (W219) with Harmon-Kardon Speaker setup
Components:
Chinese Aftermarket HU with attached CANBUS decoder
AVIN Module ( to transfer Analog audio signal to Digital)
Stock AGW
New GPS Antenna (Could not get new unit to work with Stock GPS Antenna routed in trunk).

The Wiring:
From the original COMAND harness, spliced the Brown/Orange wire to the 2 yellow wires (1 from HU, 1 from the AVIN module for constant 12+ source)
2 black wires (GROUND from HU and AVIN module got spliced into the brown (GROUND) wire on the original harness from COMAND unit to serve as ground. All good. I did not connect ACC, Brake, etc. as my understanding is that CANBUS handles all that.
Connected Front Left/Right RCA cables from back of new HU into the RCA input on the AVIN module.
Now CANBUS:
From the CANBUS decoder attached to the HU, run 2 wires from the Green/Green+Black wires out of the decoder to the CANBUS bridge under the footwall on the driver side and spliced them into one of the twisted pair of Brown/Brown+Red wires. All good.
Run a 5m extension wire from back of HU all the way to the trunk and plugged it into the antenna cable(removed from the back of AGW in the trunk)
FUNCTIONALITY SO FAR...
When I turn the key to ignition, radio powers up and I have sound from all speakers in the car. When the key is turned off but still inserted, HU stays on and only shuts off when the key is removed. Still happy. I am able to play CDs, DVDs, radio, mp3s..

NOW THE PROBLEM:
With new HU powered on and working, the dash displays the message: AUDIO OFF
Funny thing is that, I can change tracks on a cd, change radio stations, adjust volume, move to next mp3, etc. with the Steering wheel buttons. It just won’t display any track info. or radio station information on the dash. It is almost as if the car doesn’t know the radio is powered on, which is odd, as obviously CANBUS kicked in to turn the radio ON. Initially, I thought my CANBUS wiring was off, so I removed the initial splice and spliced my 2 green wires this time to the CANBUS rail under the glove compartment. That is, remove the knee bolster on the passenger side, while lying on your back with your head facing up, under the glove compartment, there is a rail of CANBUS wires right above your head. Again, I spliced 1 one of the twisted pairs and it works.
Did I miss something? Or is my wiring way off? I have to add, on the harness of the new head unit there are 2 wires: Blue/White that are marked CAN-TX & CAN-RX. I did not splice these wires to anything – Should they be spliced into something? Could this be why?

I am currently working on installing a rear camera but I thought I would ask the Gurus about this AUDIO OFF issue in case someone has experienced it and can help?
I should also add, navigation information DOES not display on the dash either, but from what I gather – that is not displayed by these aftermarket units - am I right?

Please forgive me if someone has already discussed this. I have scoured many pages on the forums and I am beginning to get dizzy so it is possible I missed it. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

·
W220 Moderator
S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
5,852 Posts
Hi,

I'm going to be going through this in a few weeks, when other work is finished on my W220 :smile

My new Head Unit has arrived, also Headrests with DVD Players and Rev Cam.

TPMS, Wifi, DVR Cam, DAB+ and DVB TV waiting on arriving :grin

From the tons of write ups I have read, it is my understanding that most guys have never got the Cluster to read, but that said, one seller insisted it will read Track and Radio Info.

Your CAN connections wiring must be OK if Buttons are working at Steering Wheel :wink

I think there are configurations in the Menu's of Stereo for different CAN systems, also it may be that the Dash Cluster will need re coding on SDS.......... Re coding would certainly get rid of Audio Off message, and may be the only option :wink

HTH,

Keep posting :wink

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
My Cluster does read station/track info. It does NOT read track NAMES but it does read track number. volume and track up/down buttons on steering wheel work great as well. i have gotten that "AUDIO OFF" message several times before. It tends to happen when i switch from radio/music to bluetooth or cd or whatever, it confuses the car. Not a big deal in my book though, as i can still change tracks and volume even when it says audio off. :D

Sorry for not getting back to everyone when they need. I'm very busy and notifications get buried. :(
I assure you though, the solution to your problems are in this thread, or burried deep in THIS thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/595334-after-market-android-4-4-4-quad-core-complete-install-vids-pics-txt.html

·
W220 Moderator
5,852 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for that..........

I can live without Navi Info on display, like you, on my other cars I go where they tell me to, and only occasionally glance at HU screen so as long as I get Track 1, 2, 3 etc and Radio on it I'll be a well happy bunny :smile

My car being an earlier Pre Facelift W220 S Class Model may work better with this unit, it also has no Amp in boot, speakers are fed direct from back of COMAND Head Unit, as is Can Bus :grin ..........Should make for an easy HU install, although as I've purchased all the other goodies possible, including 2 Head Rests with DVD Players, I'll need to remove Carpets and Seats to fit all that lot nicely with no cables showing :wink

I Also need to do a bit of fabrication to the Head Rest Poles, as the ones in the "generic Headrest Kit" will not fit properly in the raise / lower motors, so I need to butcher a set of old, spare Factory MB Headrests to keep it all working as it should :wink

Does your Phone Lift Receiver / Hang Up button work OK, think I've read that they do somewhere :wink

Finally, I'm not sure if I can use one of the built in Cars Rear Window Antennas for the DVB TV rather than having the 2 Black Aerials showing, or has anyone tried hiding the Black Antennas somewhere and found they still work OK ?????????
I was thinking, if I have to use them, maybe put them behind rear Bumper cover, one each side ?????????

I'm definitely NOT putting them on the roof LOLOLOL

Cheers For Now,

Dave

·
Registered
2007 E320 Bluetec
1 Posts
Can box question XTRONS

Thank you for creating this thread it has been helpful.

I have installed the XTRONS PG75M211A+FOB01 and OBD2.

I have a question regarding the can box install. The green wires coming out of my Can box went to the HU. I cut these wires and connected them to the brown can wires (twisted pair) on the driver's side. See pics.

I was thinking maybe I should have spliced into the green wires and kept the connection to the HU or I need a different box.

I tried switching the wires and all the combinations on the can box.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

·
W220 Moderator
5,852 Posts
Hi,

I am not an expert on ICE / Multimedia by any means, but I do have an excellent understanding of MB CAN Systems, and I've fitted a few Aftermarket Systems in a variety of vehicles :wink

I have seen 3 identical looking versions of these units (for W220), before I bought mine, (ERISIN).

They all have different wiring connections to each other, XTrons is different to ERISIN, is different to another alleged ERISIN :frown.

You have XTrons, I have ERISIN.

The common theme with this is that the CAN Adapter box turns the CAN Signals from the HU into codes that the Car will understand, for example Radio and Track Number Info to be displayed on the Dash Cluster Display..........

The box also turns CAN Signals from the Car into codes that the HU will understand, for example, Wake Up, the Car is in Reverse Gear, Buttons on Steering Wheel pressed etc etc .

So, all CAN adapter units should have 4 CAN Wires, a TX and RX connected to the HU, and a TX and RX connected to the Car.

Therefore I certainly don't think cutting them between CAN adapter and H/U was a good idea, and connecting just one pair to both HU and Car probably may not work either............

It seems unlikely to me that the HU would transmit (unintelligeable to the Car) codes to the CAN Adapter Box, which would then transmit (unintelligible to the HU) codes to the Car via the same pair of wires, and Vice - Versa...........

What I would do is to reconnect the cut wires, and be looking for another pair coming from the CAN adaptor, which should be connected to the Car :wink

There is also a couple of different CAN Bus Type Settings for Mercedes CAN's in the HU Settings Menus :wink

HTH,

Cheers Dave

61 - 80 of 307 Posts