Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
If your unit was working before you slid it back into the dash and then quit, I would be concerned about breaking one of the optical connectors. The best case would be dislodging the optical connector and it just needs reseating. The optics cannot be bent very far, I think I read somewhere that at most an arc with a 25" radius.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If your unit was working before you slid it back into the dash and then quit, I would be concerned about breaking one of the optical connectors. The best case would be dislodging the optical connector and it just needs reseating. The optics cannot be bent very far, I think I read somewhere that at most an arc with a 25" radius.
I actually had a couple of other issues with my install, but when I once again went to button up the install, I lost the audio again. Doing exactly what you suggested, I disconnected the fiber connection and reseated it. Been working fine ever since.

As soon as the additional cables come in I have to finish up with GPS, and radio antenna, as well as front and rear cameras. I hope I'm ready after a couple of weeks break.

Thanks very much for the tip!

D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been reading this thread with great interest, I want to install an aftermarket double din on my 2005 C240 w/ harman-kardon unit and fiber optics. I wonder if anyone here has done this type of install on a W203?
I don't need an Android unit or Nav, what I really want is BT for my mobile and the ability to play music from micro sd cards, possibly a backup camera as well, plenty of good choices out there. I've done a few installs in the past but none with fiber optics, not sure how to connect the new unit to the MOST interface and then to the car's wiring. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,844 Posts
You might check out the Nav-TV MOST-HUR (head unit replacement), originally sold as the OPTI-1. It is designed to connect copper wire head units to existing fiber optic MOST systems (which is what your car has). See http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1684297-replacing-comand-just-got-easier-mb.html for more.

You will probably have to connect a backup camera directly to the head unit; it would be independent of the fiber optics. I know there are several systems marketed for the purpose, but I don't know much about them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been reading this thread with great interest, I want to install an aftermarket double din on my 2005 C240 w/ harman-kardon unit and fiber optics. I wonder if anyone here has done this type of install on a W203?
I don't need an Android unit or Nav, what I really want is BT for my mobile and the ability to play music from micro sd cards, possibly a backup camera as well, plenty of good choices out there. I've done a few installs in the past but none with fiber optics, not sure how to connect the new unit to the MOST interface and then to the car's wiring. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
The primary issue with the fiber optic system is that your existing amp and speakers are connected through the MOST fiber optic network. If you want to use your current amp, you'll need some way to convert the analog output of your new head unit to an optical signal. I used a device from AVIN, but they says it's very specific to certain models. Their support however is excellent so you could probably tell them what you have and they'll let you know if it works. I had some hiccups installing mine, but it had nothing to do with the unit. Their unit is $250 which was well worth it to me rather than replace the amp and rewire all the speakers. Several others have gone that way and there are excellent tutorials on how to do it.

If you do decide to go the amp replacement route, you'll still need to do something about your unused fiber line. Other devices may operate off the MOST network and there can't be an open connector.

Someone else has mentioned NAV-TV. I haven't used their products, but they have a great reputation and EXCELLENT product documentation. I believe their OPTI-1 device has the same functionality as the AVIN Fiber Optic Amp Interface, but it's priced at $549, last time I looked.

If you have more specific questions I'll be happy to share some of the challenges I faced in my conversion. The bottom line, however, is that my wife's very happy with it and I haven't got everything connected yet.

D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you gentlemen,
It appears the AVIN adapter is the way to go, especially considering the price. I've traded a couple of emails with AVIN, they assured me their adapter would work on my car. If you can point me to any tutorials it would be fantastic. I'd like to know as much as possible before attempting this change, tech support isn't always there late at night when staring at a gaping hole in your dash...Time to start looking for a new head unit.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Here's some background on the Fiber optics system for the Benz's. Our cars use a communication system called MOST, which stands for "Media Oriented Systems Transport." It is a system used on multiple brands of cars, not just in Benz's. The communication system or "code" that the system uses to communicate is Essentially the same no matter what Benz its installed in. What DOES matter when it comes to the AVIN Interface is whether it has a "wake up" or ACC wire on it or not. The only noticeable difference between the E/CLS/S/SLK model interface and the one for the GL/ML/R is that the later has an interface wake up wire. Which essentially just means that the interface powers up when the radio powers up via an external wire, rather than being on all the time like in the E/CLS/S/SLK box. (Which does not have a noticeable battery drain, btw.)

It seems to me that all the cars use the E class box, and all the SUV's and the R class van uses the ML/GL/R box.

What does all this mean? The AVIN boxes will work on any Benz with MOST fiberoptics, the only question is on which box is needed for your vehicle.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,844 Posts
Thanks for that info; but one more thing needs to be considered. MOST fiber optics busses were phased in on different models in different model years; so the preceding may not always apply. It would apply IF one's car has MOST fiber optics; but MBs dating from model year '00 had D2B fiber optics, which are not compatible with MOST.

Folks having the D2B bus should look for equipment compatible with it; AVIN does makes some D2b compatible options.

If your car dates from '00 through '05, you can check the Phone Bulletins in the How-To Guide for Cell Phones sticky to determine which bus it has.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
one more thing needs to be considered. MOST fiber optics busses were phased in on different models in different model years; so the preceding may not always apply. It would apply IF one's car has MOST fiber optics; but MBs dating from model year '00 had D2B fiber optics, which are not compatible with MOST.

Folks having the D2B bus should look for equipment compatible with it; AVIN does makes some D2b compatible options.

If your car dates from '00 through '05, you can check the Phone Bulletins in the How-To Guide for Cell Phones sticky to determine which bus it has.

^^^What he said. I forgot to make that clarification. Yes, what i was saying ONLY applies if your car is equipped with the MOST system. Earlier D2B and copper systems wont work with this. That's why i started this thread specifically stating that this is a new option for MOST equipped cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Help getting started with connectors

Hi,

Great post, congrats with the install and thanks for this thread :)

I am having a little trouble getting started here.

W211 E280 CDI Avantgarde 2007 Station Wagon, with NTG1 Command w fibre system

I have the optical RC/fibre converter, and I got two power adapters, not sure which to use, one of them has a canbus decoder connected to it, this can be connected to the other adapter it seem as weel.
And I have no power connector in my car to connect one of these to. I understand that you manually did connect the power, by splitting cable and soldering?

And I don't understand where the CAN wires (two? or one) are? What color are these? The cables coming from the power adaptor are certainly not long enough to reach the canbus hub (which is located under the driver seat, or down left side on the floor), and the free available cables are also in the wrong end it seem, not at the end going into the headunit.

Have attached pics of my power adapters, the wiring scheme of my unit, back of the unit, the power cables available in my car, and a screenshot from another car on youtube, which has the power adapter I (and you?) are missing.

Any help to get me started ?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Help getting started with connectors

Hi,

Great post, congrats with the install and thanks for this thread

I have the optical RC/fibre converter, and I got two power adapters, not sure which to use, one of them has a canbus decoder connected to it, this can be connected to the other adapter it seem as weel.
And I have no power connector in my car to connect one of these to. I understand that you manually did connect the power, by splitting cable and soldering?

And I don't understand where the CAN wires (two? or one) are? What color are these? The cables coming from the power adaptor are certainly not long enough to reach the canbus hub (which is located under the driver seat, or down left side on the floor), and the free available cables are also in the wrong end it seem, not at the end going into the headunit.

There was another 3 wired connector at the back of my Comand Headunit, could this be Canbus wired?

Looking at the PDF in this post: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1684297-replacing-comand-just-got-easier-mb.html

It may seem that the connector I believe to be power (I measured them to 12v using multimeter !) are in fact Canbus cables?

Have attached pics of my power adapters, the wiring scheme of my unit, back of the unit, the power cables available in my car (or are these canbus cables), and a screenshot from another car on youtube, which has the power adapter I (and you?) are missing.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

Hello, great work my friend.
I have one w203, and i have installed one radio android 5.1. Its the same like yours, the difference is the outside shapes.. (sorry my english)
My problem its: i dont have informatio on dashboard.. how you do this?

Thanks, Norberto

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just found this pearl of a thread and while reading I went to the current ebay listing for the HU and found a link to an XTRONS Optical Fiber Head Unit Replacement Decoder. Is this an possible alternative to the AVIN unit that was used in the original installation, or is it something else altogether? Don't see any provision for power to the unit.

FOB01 Adapter for Fibre Optic Sound System for Mercedes Benz E W211 CLS s SL SLK | eBay

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,844 Posts
I just found this pearl of a thread and while reading I went to the current ebay listing for the HU and found a link to an XTRONS Optical Fiber Head Unit Replacement Decoder. Is this an possible alternative to the AVIN unit that was used in the original installation, or is it something else altogether? Don't see any provision for power to the unit.

FOB01 Adapter for Fibre Optic Sound System for Mercedes Benz E W211 CLS s SL SLK | eBay
Reading the seller's description of the device, I cannot tell what it is for: converting 3rd party analog HU output to fiber optics, or converting OE fiber optics output to analog copper wire for use with 3rd party amps. Very badly worded.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I too saw that listing and emailed the seller, unfortunately he stated that adapter wouldn't work on my W203. Would have been nice to save 150 bucks...I didn't get around to my install, when I do I'll be sure to post some notes and pics.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Where is the antenna cable?

I bought an Android head unit. So far so good, but when I removed the Comand unit (NGT2.5) I found there is no radio antenna connected. The unit has a white double Fakra receptacle, and the pinout I have says that it is for the FM/AM antenna (double either for two diversity antennas or perhaps one for AM and one for FM), but nothing is connected to it. I get radio reception just fine, so the antenna must be connected somewhere else.

You can see the connector which the pinout says is for the antenna. Behind it you can see three other (single) Fakra connectors: green is the backup camera, blue is the GPS antenna, and yellow is the Bluetooth antenna. No problem with any of them.

Anyone know where else the radio antenna might be?

Attachments

·
Registered
757 Posts
I too saw that listing and emailed the seller, unfortunately he stated that adapter wouldn't work on my W203. Would have been nice to save 150 bucks...I didn't get around to my install, when I do I'll be sure to post some notes and pics.
I bought my MOST adapter from navipremium in Poland. They developed it themselves; they claim it is a much higher quality than the generic Chinese units and enables more features. $250 plus shipping. The W203 isn't mentioned in my documentation, but Krzysztof will be able to tell you if it works for you or not. He speaks English well. Krzysztof Pankiewicz <[email protected]>

I haven't installed mine yet (see my other post here about the radio antenna) so can't comment on how well it works.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bought my MOST adapter from navipremium in Poland. They developed it themselves; they claim it is a much higher quality than the generic Chinese units and enables more features. $250 plus shipping. The W203 isn't mentioned in my documentation, but Krzysztof will be able to tell you if it works for you or not. He speaks English well. Krzysztof Pankiewicz <[email protected]>

I haven't installed mine yet (see my other post here about the radio antenna) so can't comment on how well it works.
I've seen one at about that price as well; don't recall who was selling it. Also of course is the Opti 1 at ~$450. I've got a quote from Best Buy for a Kenwood unit. With camera and installation this one looks like it'll come in at $1700-1800 at the bottom line including all the bits & pieces. Another local shop that deals pretty exclusively with Navtv for parts looks like it will come in at close to $3K. I'm feeling tempted by BB as they offer a 14 day money back satisfaction guarantee.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

Great post, congrats with the install and thanks for this thread

There was another 3 wired connector at the back of my Comand Headunit, could this be Canbus wired?

Looking at the PDF in this post: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1684297-replacing-comand-just-got-easier-mb.html

It may seem that the connector I believe to be power (I measured them to 12v using multimeter !) are in fact Canbus cables?

Have attached pics of my power adapters, the wiring scheme of my unit, back of the unit, the power cables available in my car (or are these canbus cables), and a screenshot from another car on youtube, which has the power adapter I (and you?) are missing.

Thanks
I realize it has been a month since your post here, but I did not see a reply. Here are the fruits of my experience installing an Avin HU in my W211 with the MOST fiberoptic system.

First, the radio antenna connection is in the trunk. There was no antenna connection on the back of my old HU. I have to run a cable from the new HU to the trunk and swap the antenna from the AGW to it.

The Canbus system is also not in the dash, it is accessed under the driver's seat or in the trunk. The wires for it are a twisted pair and they are brown and brown/red.

The little black box in your picture is also for the Canbus and should be plugged in to which ever cable you use. There should be 4 little DIP switches on the end which will give you 16 possible settings. Once you are all cabled up, start trying different switch settings until you can change the volume using the buttons on the steering wheel.

Finally, for power, I did not want to be cutting into wires, so I found a neat solution. There is a fuse block behind the left end of the dash. It has the fuses for the seats, radio, and other stuff. There are several open slots. You can check each open slot for power with a VOM meter. The fuses each have a holder that snaps onto the fuse block. One blade of the fuse goes into this power block and the other blade goes into a connector within the fuse holder to which the wire to the new radio is attached. The Mercedes part numbers are 2115450901 for the fuse holder ($2.00) and 0115458426 for the connector ($0.90). I used slot 24 or 25 on the fuse block. The heaviest wire I could use was 16 gauge. I crimped and soldered it to the connector -- I started with 4 feet to be sure that it was long enough. After making the soldered connection, feed the wire through the fuse holder from the top until the connector snaps into place -- CAUTION be sure the connector is properly oriented to accept the fuse blade because once it snaps into place, it is nearly impossible to take out without destroying it or the fuse holder. Finally, thread the wire through the fuse block and snap the fuse holder assembly into place. I will try to get some pictures to go with this post.

41 - 60 of 306 Posts
About this Discussion
305 Replies
76 Participants
qtrain23
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing