Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

301 - 311 of 311 Posts

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,928 Posts
You don't tell us where you are located - it makes a difference.

If you are in North America, a 2006 S500 is a W220; its COMAND is identical to an '05. If you are in Europe, an '06 is a W221, and the head unit is entirely incompatible with the W220s.

·
Registered
16 Posts

If you are in North America, a 2006 S500 is a W220; its COMAND is identical to an '05. If you are in Europe, an '06 is a W221, and the head unit is entirely incompatible with the W220s.

Oh interesting. Im in NA. So I can use the normal ones I find online.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Is there a guide somewhere specific to W220?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,928 Posts
I don't know why there would be a"guide" for setting up a specific brand of s3rd party unit in a Mercedes, unless a member has posted a writeup such as rosafuss' and Dave2302's shown in our stickies (the blue backgrounded area toward the top of the first forum page).

·
Registered
2004 E270
6 Posts
had the same problem when i first wired it up. Easy fix. You wired the fiber interface to a Switched circuit. It NEEDS to be wire to a constant on circuit. the fiber communication system has to be able to communicate even when the key is out/off.
I Rossafuss. After some tests i found out that my fiber interface box was drawing 70mA extra from battery so i connected it to Acc instead of constant and know i too have the pop-up sound when i switch off the car. Is there anyway to prevent that battery draining from the fiber box when connected to constant 12v?

·
Registered
W201 190D 2.5 1991
31 Posts
Can box question XTRONS

Thank you for creating this thread it has been helpful.

I have installed the XTRONS PG75M211A+FOB01 and OBD2.

I have a question regarding the can box install. The green wires coming out of my Can box went to the HU. I cut these wires and connected them to the brown can wires (twisted pair) on the driver's side. See pics.

I was thinking maybe I should have spliced into the green wires and kept the connection to the HU or I need a different box.

I tried switching the wires and all the combinations on the can box.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,
My unit is Isudar H53 for Mercedes W203/W209 etc, it comes with Bagoo Benz BG 01 Canbox.
my car is W463 G class 2002,

Already the radio is connected, i supposed via CAN, because the radio is working, illumination works and the rear camera works when in R.
Installation as shown (whats that socket):
IMG_0117.JPG
it goes to canbox:
IMG_0118.JPG
Socket looks (are the pins okay in the socket?):
IMG_0133.PNG
My canbox:
canbox.jpg 2019-04-25 15-20.jpg

and settings in the Android Unit:
PHOTO-2019-12-20-13-30-07.jpg

ONLY if I have set OLD S Class setting the rear camera works,
If I set B200/Viano/Sprinter/CLK240/SL500 radio works but rear camera doens't work...

These sockets are not connected
IMG_0120.JPG

I think this one is canbus too(?)
Screenshot 2019-12-21 at 17.08.55.png

Thats the radio schema:
IMG_0116.jpg

Any help appreciated, problem is with canbox?Software or wrong Canbus connection?
But the radio itself works... thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I am considering replacing my COMAND APS NTG 2.5, originally (and still) mounted on my R-280 yr 2009. The DVD changer does not read the CD's anymore, and the moneys asked for replacement do not justify returning to a fully functional, yet outdated unit. The COMAND has a MOST fiber optic loop, although the car has a standard audio system (no HK amplifier, yes a factory unbranded amplifier). The vehicle has a media interface in the glove compartment, which I believe (not confirmed yet) receives also the MOST loop. Additionally, two copper wires from the TV tuner separate connector at the back of the COMAND APS are used with it. I don't knw if for powering purposes or solely for reception of (music or video) data. I could check this by unplugging and checking the retained functionalit, of course.

I have been studying the android offer at hand. They seem to be represented by two products ( a more or less COMAND mimmicking 7" unit or a full touch screeen 9" one) under many different branding shells and having successive development stages (i.e. from 2GB RAM 16 Gb ROM to 4 GB-64Gb; from Android 7 to android 10).

From what I have understood so far, the following loss of features is to be expected:

1) - No integration with driver's display information, that is, no schematic navigation arrows, no phone or music track/radio station information on driver's display.
2) - No functionality of the phone activation steering wheel button .
3) - Loss of front/rear fading capability.
4) - Loss of voice command (against gain of ANDROID voice command , I am assuming).
5) - Loss of MW radio frequencies.

The following gains are expected:

5) - Free updatable navigation.
6) - WiFi spot and, in general Android standard capabilities.
7) - Use of android Auto to control content of paired android phone.
8) - Phone mirroring on head console.
9) - Vehicle data real time monitoring (using CANBUS module and separately sold diagnostics plug).
10) - DAB+ radio reception (using separately sold antenna to USB connection).

I'd appreciate feedback on the following aspects from already experienced users:

11) - Radio reception and tuning quality.
12) - Expectable sound quality.
13) - Boot speed of the units.
14) - Quality of the DAB antenna. Tips on placement or possible problems with it are welcome.
15) - CANBUS adapter. The ISO conector has a number of CAN related inputs and outputs, still, a so-called CANBUS adapter is delivered with the units. The functionality of this unit is unclear to me.
16) - MOST decoder installation. I am concerned about the third ACC wire, which I read some users have connected to the cigarette lighter (which I do not see obviously when dismounting the panel below the COMAND or the COMAND itself). Does not the ISO COMAND connector have an ACC input which to connect it? I would ideally connect all three decoder feed wires to wires already existing at the back of the android unit itself or connecting to those iin the ISO , but I do not see any obvious correspondence to the ACC+ on the ISO conector.
17) - I am fearing problems with the presence of the media interface (which anyway will bear no functionality) and the MOST. I have to disconnect the two wires of the TV conector that lead to it (because android units do not have these). Will MOST information still flow through the loop without this connector being present? I guess the alternative is to physically disconnect the MI and to use a MOST bypass , but I'd like to limit the works to the car to an absolute minimum, to have it as reversible as possible (e.g. if the the end result is not satisfactory or the android unit reveals a poor quality).

I'd appreciate the following replies:

• Comments (especially corrections on wrong assumptions) to my findings 1 to 10 above.
  • Feedback on points 11-14 above,
  • Help / guidance on points 15 to 17.
Thanks in advance.

RD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I am considering replacing my COMAND APS NTG 2.5, originally (and still) mounted on my R-280 yr 2009. The DVD changer does not read the CD's anymore, and the moneys asked for replacement do not justify returning to a fully functional, yet outdated unit. The COMAND has a MOST fiber optic loop, although the car has a standard audio system (no HK amplifier, yes a factory unbranded amplifier). The vehicle has a media interface in the glove compartment, which I believe (not confirmed yet) receives also the MOST loop. Additionally, two copper wires from the TV tuner separate connector at the back of the COMAND APS are used with it. I don't knw if for powering purposes or solely for reception of (music or video) data. I could check this by unplugging and checking the retained functionalit, of course.

I have been studying the android offer at hand. They seem to be represented by two products ( a more or less COMAND mimmicking 7" unit or a full touch screeen 9" one) under many different branding shells and having successive development stages (i.e. from 2GB RAM 16 Gb ROM to 4 GB-64Gb; from Android 7 to android 10).

From what I have understood so far, the following loss of features is to be expected:

1) - No integration with driver's display information, that is, no schematic navigation arrows, no phone or music track/radio station information on driver's display.
2) - No functionality of the phone activation steering wheel button .
3) - Loss of front/rear fading capability.
4) - Loss of voice command (against gain of ANDROID voice command , I am assuming).
5) - Loss of MW radio frequencies.

The following gains are expected:

5) - Free updatable navigation.
6) - WiFi spot and, in general Android standard capabilities.
7) - Use of android Auto to control content of paired android phone.
8) - Phone mirroring on head console.
9) - Vehicle data real time monitoring (using CANBUS module and separately sold diagnostics plug).
10) - DAB+ radio reception (using separately sold antenna to USB connection).

I'd appreciate feedback on the following aspects from already experienced users:

11) - Radio reception and tuning quality.
12) - Expectable sound quality.
13) - Boot speed of the units.
14) - Quality of the DAB antenna. Tips on placement or possible problems with it are welcome.
15) - CANBUS adapter. The ISO conector has a number of CAN related inputs and outputs, still, a so-called CANBUS adapter is delivered with the units. The functionality of this unit is unclear to me.
16) - MOST decoder installation. I am concerned about the third ACC wire, which I read some users have connected to the cigarette lighter (which I do not see obviously when dismounting the panel below the COMAND or the COMAND itself). Does not the ISO COMAND connector have an ACC input which to connect it? I would ideally connect all three decoder feed wires to wires already existing at the back of the android unit itself or connecting to those iin the ISO , but I do not see any obvious correspondence to the ACC+ on the ISO conector.
17) - I am fearing problems with the presence of the media interface (which anyway will bear no functionality) and the MOST. I have to disconnect the two wires of the TV conector that lead to it (because android units do not have these). Will MOST information still flow through the loop without this connector being present? I guess the alternative is to physically disconnect the MI and to use a MOST bypass , but I'd like to limit the works to the car to an absolute minimum, to have it as reversible as possible (e.g. if the the end result is not satisfactory or the android unit reveals a poor quality).

I'd appreciate the following replies:

• Comments (especially corrections on wrong assumptions) to my findings 1 to 10 above.
  • Feedback on points 11-14 above,
  • Help / guidance on points 15 to 17.
Thanks in advance.

RD.

Hello!
Simply gonna tell you about canbus adapters they are TWO, let’s speak about the sound decoder one that wakes up the amp, in my situation Doesn’t and Won’t work at all! I tried three different canbus adapters with those canbus twisted green wires that is suppose to be compatible with my most fiber optics I own w220 s-class 2005 long Germany, so save yourself the headache and use the long cable, your OEM amplifier won’t work anymore thus you should buy either an android unit with good amplifier built in which I highly doubt you can find such, or buy an amplifier that is compatible with your speakers and connect to the new unit, also forgot to mention some folks here mentioned that they got their most canbus adapter to work but the quality of the sound isn’t as good as the original and some reported that the sound is bad and low. The second canbus adapter which controls the steering wheel buttons for sound volume, tracks backward-forward, telephone ✆ buttons and camera reverse while shifting the trans. gear to R is working absolutely fine (those two adapters, their installation and wiring are the same)
And last plz do not get overwhelmed with those android units they are not so good as they look, don’t get me wrong they are still good but not THAT good at least how imagined how it would be 😅
I have a unit with 4GB ram Android 10, with built-in amp, nice specs and smooth experience but still 😑

·
W220 Moderator
6,152 Posts
Hi,

Read the Android Sticky Thread, I've done this to death. About the only thing you lose is the Audio / Navi display on the Dash Cluster, which is no biggie with an easy to read Touch Screen.

Phone Button works as does Track / Station Change and also Fader if you do them like i do and @cowboyt and others, forget F/O Decoders, ditch the Bose Amp and hard wire the Soeakers how we say in the Android Sticky Thread :)

Only need 1 CAN Bus Adapter. If you use the Chinese F/O Adapter with the Bose Amp and you'll be disappointed as the above poster ;) Junk it !!

HTH,

301 - 311 of 311 Posts