Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

241 - 260 of 306 Posts

·
W220 Moderator
5,521 Posts
Hi,

Well, glad you've got the Interior Light issue sussed out, if all else is good then I now doubt you will have SAM Unit issues.
WIS EPC is great, but takes a while to learn exactly how it all works like any Software ;)

As you are new to this Car, (on S Class at least), the Global Open Close feature works from the IR part of the Key, so you must point the Key at the door handle IR Receiver, and in bright Sunlight it needs to be fairly close, try that first.
I also suggest you have a good read of the Owners Manual, and also search the correct Forum for your particular Car ;) MB's don't work like other Cars, but they do work much better, especially when you understand them :wink

With any "modern" MB that is full of Electronics, disconnecting the Battery just causes far too much grief, I always work on them Live except in very rare circumstances, obviously you have to be really careful, maybe remove the correct fuse for the circuit you are working on etc etc, but I'd sooner sell a kidney than disconnect a Battery on a "modern" Benz :frown

Re the Reverse Cameras, I have one on my V Class like the ones above /\ /\ /\, but for the S Class I wanted something much less obtrusive, see post #312 here:-

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/2693609-s500-resurrection-daves-thread-16.html

Hell, I even painted the Camera's little black bezel Chalcedon Blau (Body Colour) to blend into the Rear Bumper for a more "factory fitted" look :grin
You will learn that I am very "Anal" with all my Cars :big laugh:

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you all veterans from the forum with your inputs and suggestions. After reading the this thread since 2017, i finally decided to upgrade my HU on 2006 S500 W220. I have obtain the following system and running in to few issues may be one of your expertise will provide me with answers to my current issues.

I thank you all in advance.

Factory Unit has Bose Amp with Fiber-optic loop.

New HU is XTRONS and was acquire from this link :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Mercedes-Benz-S-Class-W220-Quad-Core-Android-7-1-Car-DVD-Player-GPS-Stereo/232387117508?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I am using following Fiber-optic decoder and the link where i acquire:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOB01-Car-Radio-Optic-Fibre-Decoder-Adapter-for-Mercedes-Benz-E-Class-CL-CLS-SL/232396558671?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

After install everything is working as intended but with following issues and questions :

* I am not able to get the volume as load as it use to be during factory command, i can say the volume is around 30 % to what it use to be. all speakers are working after the install. (Looks like the AMP is not powered up even with the FO decoder)

* No track info is displayed on dashboard Just says "AUDIO with ----" in two lines. I am sure this is not going to work for the S500 model.

* When connected on phone via Bluetooth you can barely hear the other-side through the car speakers even with full volume. Microphone is working fine.

* AM/FM is not working as i need to locate and connect the Antenna from back of the new HU to the build in connector. There is no antenna connection on original unit so i assume the connection is in trunk. If anyone can provide me the correct location and where to connect for W220 2006 model it will be great.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I just got my SDS running yesterday, have been trying to locate this for an exercise in learning the system, but not able to find the actual connection as of yet.

The VCS is also in the Tele-Aid group, pretty confusing for a noob on SDS.

P.S. I know I removed the Voice Recognition module in the trunk when I disconnect command and amp. The VRM has a FO connection in addition to a copper wire connector.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,839 Posts
Anybody? There must be someone out there who knows?
You can try checking the phone bulletins in the "How-To Guide" on cell phones (see the "stickies" - the blue backgrounded area at the top of the first forum page) for your car; the location of connectors is included there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can try checking the phone bulletins in the "How-To Guide" on cell phones (see the "stickies" - the blue backgrounded area at the top of the first forum page) for your car; the location of connectors is included there.
Hmm. it seems there are no how to guides in the C219 (or w211) sections unfortunately. Or do i need to look somewhere else?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,839 Posts
I am sorry if my instructions were misleading; I can see how they probably were. The How-To Guide for Cell Phones (etc.) is in the stickies for the Audio & Telematics forum - so you don't have to hunt, it is HERE. When you open it, there are attachments in many of the entries that provide links to the phone bulletins for many models of our cars, through MY 2006. That should cover yours. The phone bulletins show the connections.

Because the links take you to an archive site, you may have to authorize the download.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am sorry if my instructions were misleading; I can see how they probably were. The How-To Guide for Cell Phones (etc.) is in the stickies for the Audio & Telematics forum - so you don't have to hunt, it is HERE. When you open it, there are attachments in many of the entries that provide links to the phone bulletins for many models of our cars, through MY 2006. That should cover yours. The phone bulletins show the connections.

Because the links take you to an archive site, you may have to authorize the download.
Thank you Skylaw! Found it. It seems these microphone array connectors are not the typical 3.5mm or Fakra connectors and i would need a converter. But i got one step closer!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been having trouble with getting a good FM signal. I bought the following cables.

1. 20m Fakra cable ebay
2. short fakra cable to connect above to the HK amp amazon
3. replacement cable without the bluewire for back of HU ebay

I'm running a AMP-CON wire from HU to AMP.

I did have the original cable coming out the back with the blue wire attached to it. This was plugged into the other blue wire on the Back of the head unit, but I disconnected it as it wasn't doing anything.

Is this too many cables?

If I sit in the back and hold the wire up it uses my body to get the FM real good, but I can't reach the gas pedal from all the way back there! :yelrotflmao:

Also, maybe I'm a little dim on this whole thing. I've disconnected the black fakra cable from the HK amp and am plugging in the cable that I ran along the side of the car into this cable, which I believe runs to the antenna. Am I supposed to be plugging in that 6m cable to the HK amp?

Need some suggestions to make the FM rock solid!

thanks guys

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bought the head unit this week, but a few questions

My car has the Harmon Kardon fiber optic system, it's a 2008 E350 Sport.

The back of my head unit only has 2 small connections (which I understand is typical of the Harmon Kardon head unit because all the connections are in the trunk). Attached is a photo of the back of my head unit. Do I need to run a 6 meter extension cable to the trunk from the new Xtrons unit? Or does the fiber optic decoder make that unnecessary?

If unnecessary, do the large wiring harnesses that came with the Head unit get used?

Lastly, my understanding is the fiber optic decoder gets installed at the head unit, and the canbus in the trunk (or on the driver's side foot well). Is that accurate?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
My car has the Harmon Kardon fiber optic system, it's a 2008 E350 Sport.

The back of my head unit only has 2 small connections (which I understand is typical of the Harmon Kardon head unit because all the connections are in the trunk). Attached is a photo of the back of my head unit. Do I need to run a 6 meter extension cable to the trunk from the new Xtrons unit? Or does the fiber optic decoder make that unnecessary?

If unnecessary, do the large wiring harnesses that came with the Head unit get used?

Lastly, my understanding is the fiber optic decoder gets installed at the head unit, and the canbus in the trunk (or on the driver's side foot well). Is that accurate?

Thanks in advance for your help!
All MOST equipped vehicles have those same plugs on the back of their HU.
The large plug carries power and ground, the 2 fiberoptic wires, along with I believe one other wire who's function excapes me. The small plug is your AUX input from the glove box.

The xtrons decoder i talked about in the first post is the cheapest one out there that I've seen, and delivers factory quality sound. DONT use the 6m patch harness to bypass the amp. It's extra work, and delivers sub-quality sound. You can spend however much you want on any aftermarket head unit you want, but the Android units from xtrons seem to be the best bang for your buck.

·
W220 Moderator
5,521 Posts
Blue Black Wire for Wake Up of * "other bits" * ;)

Another guy with a Post Facelift W220 MOST, found the exact wires you are describing, plus a Blue / Black on his old H/U :wink

* I'm not exactly sure what it wakes up, Amp, Antenna Amp, Phone etc etc ? Not even certain exactly on what Cars it is actually connected in the main harness, but yeah, the wire is present at old H/U.

On my D2B with the old 2.5 COMAND, it was for the Antenna Wake up, which is working perfectly with my new Android ;) I connected Blue / Black in Car Harness to Blue in ERISIN's Power Plug, not to one of the wires labelled "Ant" in the little harness called "SWC and other control cable".

In actual fact, on CAN Bus Cars you do not need that harness at all, DO NOT CONNECT TO IT, do not even plug it into the H/U just bin it !!
If you have one of the H/U's that has these directly wired into H/U then Tape them up tidy and forget it is there, this is the cause of many "my xyz doesn't work" questions, so one last time, THIS HARNESS IS NOT NEEDED ON A CAN BUS CAR !! Connecting these and CAN Bus just creates conflicts within the unit, and may possibly be the cause of premature H/U failures !!

OK, OK !! Apart from 1 very special case where you only use 1 wire out of the bunch, and I won't even bother with that, because it relates to a TPMS kit bought over a year ago, but all the TPMS you can buy now are USB, so don't need it ;)

The Red Arrow I put on the pic is touching the Twisted Green CAN Bus wires, this pic is for the new ERISIN's with built in CAN Bus Decoder !!

LOL, note also the "Chinglish" Instruction book, bin that as well !!

HTH,

Cheers Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for that post, because I have a fiber optic MOST system and your post helped me a lot in installation. I have installed the unit too, but now I have some issues and wanted to know if anyone got them too. So, the first annoying problem is that SD card is unmounted every time I turn off the car. I have to eject and insert an SD card to start it working again. The second is that Radio has some crackling sound. Did you also have any of those problems? Thanks

·
W220 Moderator
5,521 Posts
Hi,

I had none of those problems.

The first thing you need to do is tell us exactly what wires you have connected and where to ??

Is the Volume button on Steering Wheel working ??

Are we talking ERISIN H/U here ??

Mine has the SD Cards under plastic covers at the top left & right of H/U, as far as I know they do not self eject, but maybe later units do, I bought mine over 12 months ago ;)

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Android head unit fitted.

Just fitted a Chinese Android unit on my CLK320 c209 and need some help please.

Unit works ok, got the DAB+ and Apple carplay usb modules to work but does anyone know how to edit the front end shortcuts to link to the apps?

Used an optical convertor as I have a HK system, all good, didnt need to ground loop or anything just plug and play.

Steering wheel controls work when using stock apps, radio cd etc, but wen using DAB or carplay the dash display says 'audio off'? Vol still works as does phone answer/hang up.

Going to fit a reverse camera soon, why is there a yellow warning sign on the display when I put in reverse?

Attachments

·
W220 Moderator
5,521 Posts
Yellow warning is telling you camera not working / connected, as for the rest of it I haven't a clue lol, I know how to work Music from SD Card, Radio Navi and Phone.

Also managed to get MB Logo on boot, which is in one of the above posts a way back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
iOS

Hi Rossafuss, (dumb) question, to connect to that android head unit with a smartphone, does it have to be an android phone? Or can it be apple?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,839 Posts
Are we sure? While telephony functions may work with any smart phone, will the Android HU operate the apps from an iPhone, and display them onscreen? I don't know the answer with any certainty, but for example, an Android phone ordinarily won't run iPhone apps and vice-versa. The apps are usually operating system-specific. Otherwise, the various HU manufacturers wouldn't designate their units "Android" or "Apple Carplay."

·
W220 Moderator
5,521 Posts
Hi @Skylaw

:laugh My bad......................I should have made it clearer................

Yes you are correct, Android H/U will not run Phone Apps or Screen Mirror on most non Android Phones

It will Bluetooth to any phone and it will make phone calls, access phone book etc, I have an older Samsung Galaxy and my H/U works fine for Phone / Phonebook Handsfree functions.....................
I also have an Android Phone, and H/U will do more with that, (if I wanted it too) ;)

Remember I am a dinosaur :grin ...........................

A Phone is for Phone Calls and Texts, a Digital Camera is for Photographs, and a Laptop or Desktop is for 'Computermabobbing' tasks :devil

It is nice however to have a Car H/U that does all this and more ;)

However, in my defence, the Q was will it connect :wink

Cheers Dave

241 - 260 of 306 Posts
About this Discussion
305 Replies
76 Participants
qtrain23
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing