Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

221 - 240 of 306 Posts

·
W220 Moderator
5,508 Posts
Hi,

Does the H/U not switch off the internal Mic via the 3,5mm jack Socket ??
If not there may well be an option in the factory Settings menu ;)

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

Just joining this discussion. I have been reading all pages with great interest. I have a W219 with the new Android unit already hooked up for a few weeks. Everything works so far including CANBUS. Next is to use existing GPS and FM antenna.

Am i correct the GPS antenna is in the trunk in the back of the NAV DVD player? Blue Female Fakra?

Also, i am reading two different locations for the FM antenna from this thread. Either in the AGW or the AMP? Which one is it? I hope the AMP as that one is easier to access... Would this also be a Female Fakra?

And where is the connector for the internal mic in the rearview mirror?

Thanks !

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey, folks - feeling a bit bummed out today. I shall strive for a not completely negative post.

On June 11 we had a major windstorm settle down on Edmonton, and for about 24 hours we had gusts up to 80 Km/h buffeting the city. About half way through - about 3 AM - some of my vinyl siding let loose, and went flying around the neighborhood. So I put in a call to my insurance company, who advised me that I had a $1,000 deductible. Repairing the damage myself will cost right around that, so it's kinda 50/50 whether I'll go with an insurance company or just hire it out. Either way, I'm out about a grand. I ain't rich, and that one hurts.

I was going to put some speakers in the trunk pointing up through the rear deck, and I thought I had cutouts in the sheet metal that would accept a couple normal, sane speakers. I was wrong. What I've got is a circular cutout in the center of the rear deck that will accommodate a huge speaker - approximately 12", if my measurement was correct - and what look like ports on either side of the cutout. See the picture below, taken with the camera sitting on the floor of the trunk, looking up at the back deck. I'm guessing that what Mercedes Benz did was turn the entire trunk into a ported speaker enclosure for a 12" speaker - I'm guessing a subwoofer, but I'm not sure. At any rate, it's not going to be simple, or perhaps even possible, to put some small speakers where the 'ports' are. Perhaps I can find a 12" full range speaker. Dunno - I'll look around.

And I wanted to remove the trunk liner on the drivers side, find the amp and antenna cables, and start moving the wiring forward. Well, that's not so easy. i did get the trunk liner out - turns out that there are a couple of tie down clamps which have to be removed with a Torx screwdriver - and made a frustrating discovery. The former owner had a back up ultrasonic warning system installed, and someone did a hatchet job splicing into the wiring. And they rolled all the cable they didn't need into a huge ball, and stuffed it all behind the trunk liner. They also have some kind of a cell phone thing made by parrot, and that is a similarly awful botch job of installation.

So, I guess what I must next do is start sorting out cables, and possibly re-install the backup warning system so that it doesn't look like the wire god vomited in my trunk. The Parrot thing will be rendered obsolete by the new head unit, so I'm just going to remove it and try to repair the damaged wiring harness.

I haven't found anything resembling an amplifier in the trunk. There's the fusebox, surrounded by a cloud of aftermarket botch job wiring. I recall seeing a video that stated that the amplifier was behind it. I'll check.

Sigh. Two steps forward, one step back. Or perhaps the opposite.

Peace, all - Charlie

Attachments

·
W220 Moderator
5,508 Posts
Hi,

Alex,

I don't have a lot of experience on Audio in the newer Cars, but a good general rule of thumb with MB is wherever you put the Nav Disc in is the "Nav Processor", which is where the GPS Antenna will be connected.

I have also heard that the newer Cars FM / AM Antenna connects to the Amplifier in Trunk and then just about everything is transmitted over F/O :(
Yes IIRC they are FAKRA's

Charlie,

Sorry to hear that, Insurance sucks :(
Over the winter Mel Crashed our Immaculate C Class down a ditch...........

We are both Insured on my Business Motor Trade Policy, "Excess" is £500 and my "No Claim Discount" is worth £800 per year.........................

So Recovery and Winching out of the ditch, New Suspension Parts, Used Passenger Door, Front Wing and Side Skirt, Paint materials, Wheel Refurbish etc, yeah, that cost me ~ £900, so not worth me claiming :frown

However, we now have a less than immaculate C Class, because although I've fitted all the parts and got it back on the road for her, I haven't got time to do the Paintwork yet, so it is "Multicoloured Swap Shop" :frown

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
Alex,

I don't have a lot of experience on Audio in the newer Cars, but a good general rule of thumb with MB is wherever you put the Nav Disc in is the "Nav Processor", which is where the GPS Antenna will be connected.

I have also heard that the newer Cars FM / AM Antenna connects to the Amplifier in Trunk and then just about everything is transmitted over F/O :(
Yes IIRC they are FAKRA's
Hi Dave,

Thanks for responding. I have found the GPS Fakra connector indeed.

On the AGW i see two Fakra connectors. One Black and one Yellow/Mustard. I believe both are FM antenna's. The second one is used for receiving TMC information. Is the black one the one i should use for bringing to the back of the head unit?

Also, i can't seem to locatie the factory microphone connector that ends up in the rearview mirror. Any ideas where to find that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey all... I got my car yesterday. 2005 E320 Wagon. It's going to be a great car for the family, especially with the extra seat in the trunk.

So I spent the day installing the HU and ran cables to the back. Wow, what a bear that was, but I got it done! I ran 5 lines.

1. 20' Fakra to Fakra cable for the antenna
2. 20' 3.5 mic cable
3. 20' RCA video cable for rear camera
4. 20' GPS cable
5. 20' Bundle 18Gauge insulated speaker wires (going to use 1 lead for antenna amp turn on - others are there Cover My Ass)

I ended the day with getting sound on the head unit. Wow, sounds really good! The system "woke up"... sub sounds great and I'm so excited to get everything working. I couldn't get the audio to work at first, and forgot that I had to have all the Fiber Optic cables plugged in, that breaking the loop kills the audio.

Next thing to do is connect the CanBus. The main area to connect is under the passenger's side area. But I also read on another forum that the CanBus can be found behind the CD player.

Also to get access to the canbuss wires, you simply splice into the Brown and Brown red wires that are found behind the CD changer. There is no need to go into the floor sill pannel as you mentioned in your video.
Also found this quote somewhere and wrote it in my notes:
Where the original CD changer is there should be Br/red and Br can-bus cables.
I'm attaching photos of the wiring that could be part of the canbus, but I just don't know. I'm color blind with reds/green/browns. I had to take photos of the wires and have my wife and kids tell me what they are. It's weird, because after they tell me, my eyes adjust and I'm like "Oh, now I see it!"

According to my wife, the first photo's wires are from left to right:
1. brown
2. black/white
3. brown
4. red/white
5. red
6. brown

Is the canbus on here? I'd really like to not have to run them to the passenger side area. Does anyone know the answer? Is this cable the one I splice into?

FAKRA cables on the AMP

I thought the yellow/mustard was the microphone? This is what Xpresion thought it was on his forum.

And Charlie, I don't know if anyone ever answered your questions of where everything gets plugged in regarding 12v/ground/acc. I used this guide and it was spot on.

Attachments

·
W220 Moderator
5,508 Posts
Hi,

Nice one :) Looks like your going "Great Guns" :wink

:big laugh: .................. This reminds me of a joke about a Colour Blind Electrician ...................

Red to Brown, Black to Blue, Blue (blew) to bits :big laugh:

AFAIK you are looking for a Brown and Brown / Red TWISTED Pair.

I don't agree with your missus btw, but photo's can distort colours so tell her that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :wink

#2 looks to be Black with Grey Trace
#4 looks to be Red with Grey Trace
#5 looks to be Brown with Red Trace
#6 looks to be Brown

If #5 & #6 go further from plug as twisted pair, then they will be your CAN Wires :)

IMHO these should be present on or near to your old H/U, (HVAC Control Panel ??), but maybe your Car is different to my S Class, that had CAN on the COMAND itself.

I do know that later cars like yours do do a lot of Audio Comms via the F/O ring, so maybe that is why other owners are picking up the CAN at the Amplifier end ?? :dunno:

If I were you I'd buy at least a set of MB WIS / EPC / ASRA discs, then you can do as I did and study the Wiring Diagrams for the Audio Wiring that's specfic to your VIN # ;)
All will then become clear, but what I can tell you is that many MB's don't have exactly the same wiring due to all the option variants, so what might work on one Car will not work work on another ;)

I feel sure if there isn't a CAN Connection actually on your old H/U then there will be one nearby the H/U, the shorter the Cables the better :wink

My biggest question is how come the unit has woken up and works without CAN Bus ? :confused: ................
If you have connected your H/U to an "Acc +ve" you will need to remove that before you connect CAN Bus or you will get conflicts ;)

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks Dave!

#5 and #6 are definitely the can bus wires. I didn’t see the brown red wire till just now and only because you said it was brown-red. Lol. I found another post on a forum last night in the wee hours with a guy who posted about can bus location near the HU. Really glad you confirmed those wires. 🙂

Should i cut the ACC line in the can bus box? I’ve read that some do this. Or are you suggesting that I do not connect the ACC RED wire from the HU to the red/white cable of the cigarette lighter?

What do you mean by “ve”?

And did you connect the blue/white line from the cigarette harness to the ILL line in the HU? Or does can bus control this? Not sure about the other lines like Key 1 and Key 2.

Thanks!

When i say “woke up” I mean to say the system is ALIVE like it’s never been. 🙂 sorry for the confusion.

·
W220 Moderator
5,508 Posts
Thanks Dave!

#5 and #6 are definitely the can bus wires. I didn’t see the brown red wire till just now and only because you said it was brown-red. Lol. I found another post on a forum last night in the wee hours with a guy who posted about can bus location near the HU. Really glad you confirmed those wires. 🙂

1)Should i cut the ACC line in the can bus box? I’ve read that some do this. Or are you suggesting that I do not connect the ACC RED wire from the HU to the red/white cable of the cigarette lighter?

What do you mean by “ve”?

2)And did you connect the blue/white line from the cigarette harness to the ILL line in the HU? Or does can bus control this? Not sure about the other lines like Key 1 and Key 2.

Thanks!

When i say “woke up” I mean to say the system is ALIVE like it’s never been. 🙂 sorry for the confusion.
Hi,

DOH !! For some reason, half of my post above has disappeared !! The answers should have been there, but I'll try again LOL :wink

1) DO NOT CONNECT ACC TO ANYTHING

2) DO NOT CONNECT ILLUM TO ANYTHING

CAN Bus does all of this.

+ ve = POSITIVE

- ve = NEGATIVE

Right here's the bit that has gone missing :-

DO NOT CONNECT :-

Steering Wheel Switch Wires ... (Key 1 & Key2), Reverse Wire, Brake Light Wire, Illum Wire, Acc + Wire etc etc as CAN Bus takes care of the whole lot.

DO CONNECT:-

Blue Antenna Wake Up Wire on H/U to Blue / Black Antenna Wake Up Wire on Car
Permanent (Batt) +ve
Earth

I Actually physically removed all these redundant wires from the Multiplugs to make a tidier job and prevent them from maybe becoming chafed and shorting out later down the line !!
None of this wiring is needed on any Car with CAN Bus, but these Android Circuit Boards are Generic, and put in different shape / sized units for other Cars that don't have CAN Bus, hence why they are included ;)

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ok. I pulled ACC and got can bus working. It worked great. Thanks for this tip.

I couldn’t get the can bus working correctly at first and had to swap the wires. I neglected to disconnect the battery before doing so. After doing this I lost sound. Not sure if it’s a coincidence or this is why there is no sound now. Damn. Are these can bus low voltage? Maybe I fried the MOST box. Gonna do some troubleshooting now.

Also, my lock button on the dvd panel isn’t working. Every other button is tho (heated seats, rear wipers, the unlock button, hazards). Not sure if this switch was broken before hand. Seems like it would be all or nothing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got it working again. I got up way too early and there are a lot of cables to manage when you plug this thing in. I forgot to plug in the main cable and that’s why it wouldn’t turn on. Ha ha ha.

I have one remaining question on this whole install and that’s the blue antenna wire(s) coming out of the back of the unit.

Three wires.
1. Blue wire attached to antenna fakra adapter
2. Blue wire coming out of HU “AMP-CON
3. Blue wire coming out of HU “ ANT”

Which of these do i use?

Does the #1 wire plug into #3?
Does the #2 wire plug into the amp where the ANTENNA AMP TRIGGER Blue?
See photo.

Once this is figured out I should
Be finished 🙂

Attachments

·
W220 Moderator
5,508 Posts
Hi,

I would say none of them should be connected ................. Read on ..................

I think the Chineeseys intended #1 to #3 yes, BUT there is a caveat, (there's always a caveat :laugh )

That FAKRA Adaptor, is that an Amplifier for Antenna ??
If it is, your MB already has Antenna Amp, so really you shouldn't "Double Amp" the RF Signal, sooooooo personally I'd buy a FAKRA Extension Cable without Amplifier :wink

I suspect your Audio Amplifier is already waking your Antenna Amplifier via that Blue Wire on it's Plug, so chances are good that you do not need #1 and #3 connected.

#2 is an Audio Amplifier Wake Up, but if you are getting Sound, I'd say the CAN Bus is waking the Amp or it is hard wired to something else, so leave that disconnected ;)

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks Dave! I thought this seemed strange to have that blue wire connected as well. Makes more sense to buy a new adapter with no wire. Luckily, the Fakra cable I have running to the boot is a regular cable. This one. https://m.ebay.com/itm/GPS-Antenna-Extension-Cable-Fakra-C-Female-to-Female-6M-New/380752587156?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&epid=666930350

Do in need to buy a new adapter cable or can’t i just unplug the #1 to #2?

I’m also having some electrical issues since the install and i must have done something to cause this.

I neglected to disconnect the battery when I sliced into the Can Bus wires. Ever since then I have these issues.

1. Sunroof opens in a jerky fashion. Have to keep pressing the button.
2. The door locks on the center console are irregular. If I’m sitting in the car and the doors are locked and the car is in accessory and i press the lock nothing happens. If I press the unlock I hear the doors unlocking. If I lock the doors with the key fob and then test again i get opposite results. Also, I was driving the car after this was happening and the door locks worked! Ugh! Intermittent issue!!’ Ahhhhhh!!!

Could i have messed something up by leaving the battery connected while working with the can bus?

I think I’m gonna pull the unit and disconnect the can bus box to see if that changes anything. Good times! D’oh!

·
W220 Moderator
5,508 Posts
Hi,

You may be able to leave that black Box in the lead un connected, may not, only trial and error, personally i'd ditch it and just run a FAKRA Cable ;)

Don't pull the Unit,

Sunroof just needs Normalising, Bump the Button to get it all the way open, then same for all the way closed, you may have to do this several times, also you may have to do "Tilt up Tilt Down" several times, then the "One Touch" will work again.

You may also find Electric Windows, Seat memories, Mirrors etc etc will need Normalising too, search E Class Forum for specifics :wink

Similarly, you may have to use all locking and unlocking methods (Key and Car Dash Buttons)) a few times, and reset the "Lock upon Vehicle Drive Off" menu option in "Dash Cluster" ;)

This is just a "Normalisation" Issue, which you would have had if you had disconnected the Battery !!

If all that fails, then you may need to Disconnect Battery for an hour or so, and then go round and normalise and set all your options up again ;)

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh thank God! So glad this is just a syncing issue 🙂 Thanks again Dave! I was worried. I just got this car a few days ago and am pretty green. Gonna have to RTFM!

I’m gonna look into getting those wiring schematics like you mentioned a few posts back.

Now I have to get the microphone connected. On post #226 I have a photo of the amp and the yellow/mustard fakra cable coming out of the amp. I thought this was the lead to the mic in the rear view mirror, it is not. Aalmans mentioned it was another kind of FM.

Does anyone know where this mic fakra cable is?

·
Registered
20 Posts
So I made a mistake. I thought I was tapping into 12v line with my backup camera, but it wasn't 12v. I did a voltmeter test, but must have messed up the wires (I am color blind with red/greens/browns!) so therefore I blame my eyes. Regardless, I heard a quick pop... very tiny pop. I didn't know what kinda surprise I'd find (oh goody) and today I saw it. The interior dome lights don't turn off! Oh, man! :(

I just got this car, so I don't know where to look to fix this. Should I start with the fuses? Relays? Any help would be sooo appreciated.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,837 Posts
Hopefully the problem was just a fuse. You should have a fuse diagram - it may be wrapped around a tool in the spare tire well, or it may have been moved to your owners manual packet.

·
W220 Moderator
5,508 Posts
Hi,

I hope not, but I rather suspect that this is more than just a Fuse, because if a Fuse blew you would normally find something doesn't work, rather than stays on ..........................

However, this is an MB, so stranger things can and do happen like feedback etc.

First and cheapest thing is to check all Fuses related to whatever Circuit it was that you shorted out, and if they are all ok, then I suspect a blown SAM Unit :crying
This will require verification with SDS, not any other machine, any "lesser" machine will not be able to verify a fault like this from Codes, Guided Testing, Actuations and Actual Values.

SAM Units usually control most Lighting on a Benz, and the Light Bulbs don't have Fuses, the SAM's detect incorrect current and disconnect the relevant Circuit until the fault is rectified. If SAM is fried, it could conceivably hold on a Lamp.

Your Reversing Cam should have 2 thin Wires, Red and Black, plus obviously the Video Line.

Black goes to Ground, Earth, Negative, whatever you want to call it.

Red goes to a Positive that is only live when the Car is in Reverse, so the usual way to connect this is to the Reversing Bulb's +ve Wire at the Rear Lamp. The tiny Current Draw for these Cameras is not usually enough to put up a "Bulb Circuit" failure error ;)
Refer to the WIS Wiring Diagrams to find the correct wire to connect to at the Tail Lamp, do not go prodding around with Tester Lights / Wires etc at the Rear Lamp Plug or you may well blow something else to bits :(

Nothing needs connecting at the H/U end, because the CAN Bus will tell the H/U that the Gearbox is in Reverse.

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Dave,

I checked the fuses in the rear of the wagon and they are all good. The rear light was staying on because the hatch lock is bad and isn't shutting the door all the time. Got a new one coming Monday. All the lights are working fine now.

I purchased the WIS database off Ebay for $10 and wow is that thing incredible. A little bit unruly finding the info you need, but an amazing resource. Thanks for the tip!

Next time I get an oil change I'll have the techs run a diagnosis to see if any SAM Units are bad. The one thing that doesn't work anymore is a convenience feature. I used to be able to open all the car windows using the key FOB, but now I can't. Not sure if this is because I've been disconnecting the battery a lot due to the car stereo install.

Got the rear camera installed and that was a real challenge. I'm going to write that up on another thread where someone asked how to do it. Will put the link in next time I post.

--- REAR CAMERA FITTING ---
The rear camera (Mercedes compatible off of eBay) doesn't quite fit like I thought it would. It's designed for the tail light. Looks like it fits the Sedan model and not mine. It needs a 20cm riser to be flush. It won't sit correctly as it is. Is this how it is for your camera? Maybe, I bought the wrong one... Hmmm... gonna look for something to fit it.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
951 Posts
I fitted a number plate light - mounted reversing camera, but didn't like the look of it, so changed to a tailgate open button type.
I also wanted a high resolution cam (Sony CCD 1000TV lines), instead of a standard one, so mounted the better quality one in place of the supplied one.
Works perfectly well, and looks okay too (and the lights are not obstructed):

221 - 240 of 306 Posts
About this Discussion
305 Replies
76 Participants
qtrain23
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing