Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
BenzWorld R170 SLK Host
2002 SLK32 AMG
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's time to decide whether to trade or keep my SLK32 AMG. If I keep it, I want to buy an extended warranty. I did some research about 4 years ago on warranty companies and I checked them all out again and none of them offer extended warranties for the SLK32 AMG. One is out of business, Two don't offer warranties for AMG cars, and one doesn't offer warranties for Mercedes-Benz at all. I'm starting to research other companies, but no luck yet.

FYI, if I don't keep the SLK32, this is the current front-runner for it's replacement. Dodge Magnum SRT-8, 425hp, 420ft-lb, 0-60mph in ~4.9s, 20% Mercedes parts, $37,000. Not much of a looker, but fast and functional. I'd much rather go with another convertible, but I just don't like anything on the market now.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Jaguar dealers use a third-party warranty company that might cover your car. Primus Care (877-265-5121)is one of the APCO companies owned by Ford.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
If you are concerned about repair costs why not just put the money you were going to spend on the warranty in the bank or invest it. That way you have a reserve to cover any problems. Or take the money you were going to spend on the new car and put the down payment & monthly payment in the bank. Again you will have a reserve and you will be building a nest egg towards a future car purchase.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
Brian_R170-

Let the rest of us 32 owners know if you find a good warranty company that covers the AMG. Thanks.

Eric

·
Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG, 2006 CLS55 AMG
109 Posts
My credit union sold me a warranty with Mercury Insurance Group. They cover the SLK32, and my policy was $2770, for 4 year, 45k unit. It covers most major repairs if not part of regular maintenance. My car had 54k miles on it when I purchased it and the policy covers it until I reach 100k or after 4 years. Zero deductibles[:D], and will pay for repair by private mechanics[:)] or dealers (as long as they have a credit card machine).

Our credit union has used this service for the past 13 years, w/o major complains. The actual name of the policy is "Premium Value Platinum Coverage" (home office in Oklahoma City, OK). It doesn't cover repairs if they were caused by non-OMG parts. One minor exclusion is the convertible top mechanics.[V]

I came close to cancelling it soon after I received the package, but after I thought about how much the tranny or supercharger would cost to fix, I decided the risk was not worth it.
[8D]

·
Registered
SLK 320, 450 SL
629 Posts
TLC 320 - 4/15/2005 8:25 AM

GMAC is a third party warranty I got with my 320.
What is the cost, time, miles etc. and deductible?

Is the vario roof covered?
Thanks

·
Registered
06 corvette coupe
468 Posts
ok, this may be stupid since no one has mentioned it, but does Mercedes Benz not offer an extended warranty? I know the Starmark their used cars.

·
BenzWorld R170 SLK Host
2002 SLK32 AMG
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, Mercedes offers an extended warranty, but it's only available for purchase within the 1st year after the vehicle purchase. It's also available for only up to 7 total years or 100,000 total miles. Until 2001, they had an 8-year/100K mile warranty available.

·
BenzWorld R170 SLK Host
2002 SLK32 AMG
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
430 - 4/15/2005 6:03 AM

If you are concerned about repair costs why not just put the money you were going to spend on the warranty in the bank or invest it. That way you have a reserve to cover any problems. Or take the money you were going to spend on the new car and put the down payment & monthly payment in the bank. Again you will have a reserve and you will be building a nest egg towards a future car purchase.
It's less about repair costs and more about making the vehicle more saleable in 2 or 3 years from now.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Brian_R170 - 4/15/2005 11:49 PM
It's less about repair costs and more about making the vehicle more saleable in 2 or 3 years from now.

You are saying that the warranty will help you sell your car in 2-3 years? Just want to make sure I understand your point.

It is my understanding that most extended warranties are non-transferable. Never having purchased an extended warranty for a car it is possible I am wrong.

Not that I am necessarily the correct demographic but when purchasing a used car from an individual an extended warranty does not enter the equation.

If you find one for the SLK32 please post. This topic comes up every couple of months.

·
Registered
2004 E55-1970 280SEC
2,026 Posts
Hey Bri, check out the new Boxster. You might like it.

·
Registered
slk
187 Posts
430 - 4/16/2005 2:52 PM

Brian_R170 - 4/15/2005 11:49 PM

You are saying that the warranty will help you sell your car in 2-3 years? Just want to make sure I understand your point.

It is my understanding that most extended warranties are non-transferable. Never having purchased an extended warranty for a car it is possible I am wrong.

Not that I am necessarily the correct demographic but when purchasing a used car from an individual an extended warranty does not enter the equation.

If you find one for the SLK32 please post. This topic comes up every couple of months.
I purchased a '99 slk from a non-benz dealership. The day I bought it, an engine light turned-on. Brought it to a Benz dealership for service, to my surprise the service advisor told me there was 2 year extended warranty still in affect. Therefore, my repair was covered.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
slknow that is good to know. Although if the Benz dealership told you there was 2 years left on the warranty that means it was probably purchase through MB and is not an aftermarket warranty.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The Primus Care warranty (877-265-5121)IS TRANSFERABLE.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
Ken:

I know I opted for the GMAC $200 deductable but I will look up the cost. It was for 40k miles or 4 years. There was $50, $100 and $200 dedeutables avalible. Also there is a requirement you go thru the dealership you buy the warranty from for any use of the warranty.

I will look up the cost and let you know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts