Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 200K (W171)
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all!!

Have been reading this forum now for a couple of weeks and really enjoy all your posts. I will receive my new beaty SLK in about 2 weeks and I've bought a used one with most equipment but no Comand.

My question is now if any of you know if there are any possibility to upgrade to Command and install an after-market version. Does them exist and have anyone got a link to where they can be bought? Right now I have the APS 20 installed... It might be difficult installing the dvd-thing in the boot as well I can imagine?

Any input or suggestion will be great!

I will post some pictures of my iridium silver slk with black leather and amg-equipment when I receive it ;-)

Cheers and thanks for a great forum! :)

/Lukas

·
Registered
'05 SLK 350
136 Posts
lukas:
I think the best bet would be to contact Steve at [email protected]
As far as I know he's the only one offering after market installation for Comand. He's awesome and you won't have any problems. I used his services on my previos C230K and saw him doing the installation, so I can assure you that he knows what he's doing. You can also visit his web site at www.mbenznl.com
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
SLK 200K (W171)
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip!... Will post him an e-mail directly and see if he can do some magic ;-)

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Would it not have been easier to order the Comand from the start? It will surely become a lot more expensive to have it installed after...

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Shinigami - 2/23/2005 3:30 AM

Would it not have been easier to order the Comand from the start? It will surely become a lot more expensive to have it installed after...
It's hard to order a used car with certain options.[;)]

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Hmmm... true true. But isn't Comand available in ALL the countries for the new SLK? Ok, so not all countries have the DVD playback function etc... But having to wire it ALL (the nav module in the back of the car down to replacing the head unit), is more work then ordering Comand as standard, and then just replacing the DVD drive if one wants DVD playback, and so on...

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
THAT MUCH!!!

What do they give with it? The full HK sound system, nav, and a brans new diamond Rolex [:0]

I think Comand (which comes with NAV) was only about $3000 US over here...

Oh but wait, you've got Singapore dollars? What's the exchange rate for that?

·
Registered
SLK 200K (W171)
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since I bought the SLK when it's 6 month old I'm not the once configuring it from the factory. I really saved a whole lot of money by buying it like this. It had all the equipment except the command that I wanted to have and to be honoest I can live without the comand as well...

However I've figured out that it's possible to install an aftermarket comand with all necessary parts - i.e. dvd in boot, cables, head unit, gps-antenna, etc etc. A complete aftermarket kit which should be rather straight forward to install costs 3200 EUR from a guy in the Netherlands.

This is a couple of bux cheaper than if the unit is ordered from factory. Of course it's nicer to order from factory but since this is my only option to have a comand unit I think it's a great oportunity!

What do you think guys... should i upgrade to the comand unit or stick with my Audio 20?

·
Registered
SLK 27/Jan/2005
102 Posts
If its in Sing dollars... it's about S$15,000. Moreover singapore such a tiny winee country... where the GPS nav system would be totally unecessary. its such a rip off!

Jon

·
Registered
SLK 230 & SLK350 and Jaguar XF PL
568 Posts
Lukas I would wait for a while you may get a recon or slightly used one as with the S Class now. They will get cheaper. Keep your eye on the German markets.

gary

·
Registered
05SLK350 LaunchEdtn
35 Posts
RE: Aftermarket Comand for 2005 SLK

I own the 2005 Launch Edition SlK 350. The car came preconfigured. Command IS NOT an option.

Is the European Version compatable with US models?

Where can I find out more specific info concerning compatability?

Has anyone installed Command in a US model? If so, was it successful.

I would like to have Command as it is required to operate the Apple iPod and there are no other options that I can find to install the iPod without Command or it is not available for my model year.

Any suggestions for this novice?

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
RE: Aftermarket Comand for 2005 SLK

dsylvian - 2/28/2005 6:13 AM

I own the 2005 Launch Edition SlK 350. The car came preconfigured. Command IS NOT an option.

...there are no other options that I can find to install the iPod without Command or it is not available for my model year.

Any suggestions for this novice?
David:
I have a site bookmarked on my home computer of a third party company working on a link for iPods that does not require COMAND...I will look tonight and post if I find it (it is not yet available, but I also hope soon)...[:D]

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
david:

Here is that link I was referring to...doesn't really say COMAND is required, so it is worth watching for when it becomes available...

http://densionusa.com/merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DU&Product_Code=F_MB_Most&Category_Code=IA_Mercedes

....[;)][:D][:D]

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
dsylvian - 2/28/2005 9:05 PM

Thank you for the link!
David:
No problem...If you are interested, we have a northern California SLK group that does meet & drives on the third Saturday of each month...the last few have had 12 vehicles (10 R170 & 2 R171). Our next one is 3/19 and I have that one to plan; the route will be great and a good time is had...watch this site and I will post details from about 2 weeks before...we would love you to join us sometime...no dues..informal...just good times...[:D][:D][:D]

Here is a link to the posting after the last one:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1201187&posts=5&fid=27

Hope to see you...[;)]

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
dsylvian - 3/2/2005 11:25 PM

Sounds Like Fun. Tell me more...
David:
I will be posting some more info on the March 19th drive by tomorrow latest and updating a few times in the next two weeks...meeting place in San Francisco Presidio. If you want to watch quicktime movies of the January and February drives, I have them on a web site:

http://home.comcast.net/~motzko/Steves_SLK_Page.html

I look forward to meeting you...[;)]

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
dsylvian - 3/2/2005 11:25 PM

Sounds Like Fun. Tell me more...
David:

Check this post more more drive info...more to come...[;)] [:D][8D][:D]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts