Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2001 s430
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive posted this on a couple other forums with many views and no replies...

i have a 2001 s430. im looking to install 2 aftermarket amps with the factory head unit. i was just wondering exactly what adapters i would need. and as much info as possible regarding the ambient audio auto adjust thing.

i know more than enough when it comes to car audio to do the install myself. I've just never worked on a mercedes with comand before.

ive done a search, and most that comes up is pretty old and outdated compared to the tech. we have out there now a days for car audio.

is there a way i can attach the 2 amplifiers to the factory amp in order to communicate with the comand? without running seperate wires through panels and whatnot.

that way maybe i could just run a seperate power wire directly to the battery with a nice fuse? and ground it somewhere?

any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated.

i guess just a rant. but its 2012 almost 2013 this cars going on 12 years old and the price for a replacement cd changer is minimum $300+?

even the 2003 d2b comand upgrade i was looking into. cant find the unit less than $400. that is insane considering its 10 year old technology. there must be aftermarket units out there semi-budget friendly, that wont ruin all the comand functions. steering controls, etc. again this info would be greatly appreciated as well

p.s. not too important but is there anyway to use the factory cd player without the cd changer.. for example use the disc drive on the comand to play cds. mine tells me no cd-changer when i use the in cabin cd drive. if so all information will be appreciated. if not any info on replacements would also be great.

also, i have read the encyclopedia and did not find enough information on this specific topic.

thanks for everything in advance.
randy

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,985 Posts
I am aware that at least one company now makes a unit that fools a COMAND into thinking it is connected to a fiber optics amp, and allows use of many types. Unfortunately it is for cars equipped with a MOST fiber optics bus; your car has a D2B bus, and MOST equipment is not compatible with it. (For owners of cars with MOST fiber optics, the device is at http://www.mobridge.us/ - look at the MOST digital pre-amp. The benefit of this device is that it lets you use your COMAND, which has fiber optic (digital) output, with an amp having analog input.)

Because the output from COMAND is fiber optic, you cannot simply "hook up amplifiers" to it. Take a look at the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia sticky toward the top of the W220 forum. Go to the audio section and see the last link. You will see it is a lot more complicated than a few adapters, and it isn't cheap. As a result, some folks replace the entire audio system (which also requires you to replace the phone, voice control, CDC, amps, etc - everything on the bus). There are systems that will do it.

If you proceed with a full system replacement, you may also need an audio processor such as an Audion Bit-1 because you are removing the EQ that is in the Bose amp.

·
Registered
330 Posts
What problems are you having with the stock system (other than the inability to play CDs?) Is the Bose amp blown? Do the other sources (tape, radio) work normally?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,985 Posts
Indeed, if inability to play CDs is the major problem, there is a device for the D2B fiber optics bus called an MP40 that replaces the CDC and offers for more in terms of music storage. Mercedes Player MP40 - Mercedes Player

Or, if you wanted to, you could add a Dension fiber optic gateway that would allow you to play music from an iPod or even an iPhone. For D2B installations it is best to make music selections form the iPod/iPhone controls, but the audio quality is excellent. iPod Car | iPod car Adapters | iPhone Car Kit | iPhone Car Adapter | Hands Free Car Kits - Dension. Be sure to check vehicle compatibility.

·
Registered
2001 s430
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well my original plan was to just add aftermarket speakers. everything works fine as of now other than the no cd changer. thats not really a big issue at all i can live without the cds. my main question was how to go about adding more amplifiers as well as keeping the stock amp. i have read the majority of audio info in the sticky. but feel as though there could be some updated information. some of the things i read were from 2006.

i was quoted $350.00 to install the amps and put the speakers in the back dash from a car audio shop near me. now me being a budget shopper i figured maybe i could manage to tackle it myself for under 200. from what youve said...im starting to reconsider that idea.

and to be honest id rather buy a cassette adapter with an aux plug in it for 10 bucks then buying the mp3 replacement at 289. from what i hear the quality isn't much worse

·
Registered
330 Posts
well my original plan was to just add aftermarket speakers. everything works fine as of now other than the no cd changer. thats not really a big issue at all i can live without the cds. my main question was how to go about adding more amplifiers as well as keeping the stock amp. i have read the majority of audio info in the sticky. but feel as though there could be some updated information. some of the things i read were from 2006.

i was quoted $350.00 to install the amps and put the speakers in the back dash from a car audio shop near me. now me being a budget shopper i figured maybe i could manage to tackle it myself for under 200. from what youve said...im starting to reconsider that idea.

and to be honest id rather buy a cassette adapter with an aux plug in it for 10 bucks then buying the mp3 replacement at 289. from what i hear the quality isn't much worse
I'm not clear on what in the stock system still works and what doesn't. I can give you some inexpensive options but I need to know where the system stands currently.

·
Registered
2001 s430
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
everything in the stock system currently works. the only issue is there is no cd changer in my trunk. so when i click the cd function it informs me with the "no cd changer" message.

as i said thats not really a big deal im more concerned about adding in additional amplifiers that would work with the current system. such as not replacing the comand and factory amp.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Got it. What deficiency in the system are you trying to cure?

·
Registered
2001 s430
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no deficiency in the system. just looking for info on how to add additional amplifiers. not for mono sub woofer amps, hi pass amps for voice speakers. like i said if theres anyway i can use the decoder(or whatever might be inside) in the factory amp to fool comand into powering the 2 extra amps as well. im aware most amps use rca connections to communicate with the receiver. but if im not mistaken the comand doesnt have that. thats my question. how to add additional amplifiers without losing the factory amp speaker and comand functions?

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes S430 Silver on Grey
21 Posts
no deficiency in the system. just looking for info on how to add additional amplifiers. not for mono sub woofer amps, hi pass amps for voice speakers. like i said if theres anyway i can use the decoder(or whatever might be inside) in the factory amp to fool comand into powering the 2 extra amps as well. im aware most amps use rca connections to communicate with the receiver. but if im not mistaken the comand doesnt have that. thats my question. how to add additional amplifiers without losing the factory amp speaker and comand functions?
I think this might work for you: OEM Integration
What you do is take the output from your Bose amp and plug it into this. This then gives you a RCA output which you can then use for an aftermarket amp. I sell both of these items at my family's store but i don't think i am allowed to link it here.. I've used Audio Control in many installs and move enough to say that these units are well built and good quality.

Coustickingz Aka Murtaza

·
Registered
330 Posts
Pick up a line level adapter. Splice into the speaker leads coming from the analog (output) side of the Bose amp. Connect all the amps you'd like to the line level RCA jacks on the adapter. Do not connect the new amps to any of the Bose speakers in the car. I have no idea what adding the amps accomplishes, but that's how to do it without spending any money.

·
Registered
2001 s430
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@mike...the extra amps are being used for the 4 aftermarket speakers i am planning on adding in to the back dash as was stated. so to be clear i would get sound out of the aftermarket speakers AND factory speakers if i was to do it the way you just told me?

thanks for all your time and info, i appreciate it

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,985 Posts
i have read the majority of audio info in the sticky. but feel as though there could be some updated information. some of the things i read were from 2006.
If any member wishes to start a well-written and comprehensive audio update thread and work to keep it current (much like the headlight threads, a separate compendium to which the Encyclopedia links), I will be happy to place a link to it in the Encyclopedia. And BTW, the last thread in the Encyclopedia's audio section, to which I referred you, is quite up to date.

The W220 S-Class Encyclopedia, and indeed this sub-forum, is of course focused on the W220, which was manufactured from late 1999 to 2006.

The audio and telematics forum on BenzWorld, is separate from the W220 forum, and covers more years and more models. That might be a good place for YOU or anyone else who is interested, to mine for data to assemble a W220-specific thread with newer information - rather than waiting for "someone else" to do it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
@mike...the extra amps are being used for the 4 aftermarket speakers i am planning on adding in to the back dash as was stated. so to be clear i would get sound out of the aftermarket speakers AND factory speakers if i was to do it the way you just told me?

thanks for all your time and info, i appreciate it
Use wire taps on the factory speaker wiring (also called "vampire clips) so that the original signal continues to feed the stock speakers, and you have signal that can be split off to the new amps. If you use amps that have speaker level inputs, you don't need the line level adapter. Draw power directly from the battery (in the trunk). There is a blue and white remote amp lead in the factory harness in the left rear corner of the trunk (remove the liner) where all of the speaker wires are. Use that to trigger the amps to power on/off.

·
Registered
2001 s430
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Encyclopedia sticky is not, and will not become, focused on audio updates. Reason: The guy who keeps the Encyclopedia updated doesn't choose to spend his time on that topic. In the W220 forum, he prefers to stay focused on what it takes to keep our cars running, including the W220 OE COMAND and audio systems - last manufactured in 2006.

However, if any member wishes to start a well-written and comprehensive audio update thread and work to keep it current (much like the headlight threads, a separate compendium to which the Encyclopedia links), I will be happy to place a link to it in the Encyclopedia. And BTW, the last thread in the Encyclopedia's audio section, to which I referred you, is quite up to date.

I also point out that there is an entire audio and telematics forum on BenzWorld, separate from the W220 forum. That might be a good place for YOU or anyone else who is interested, to mine for data to assemble a W220-specific thread with newer information - rather than waiting for "someone else" to do it.
not to sound rude but your first statement about the sticky not being focused on audio updates is the reason this particular thread was posted.

and to the link you pointed out to me i went through and didn't find the answer to my question.(i wouldn't have posted if i did)

also i'm not waiting for "someone else" to do it as u put. i'm simply asking for info from people who may have already done this or something similar. ban me if you like, but from reading through threads all i really ever see is you flaming people when they ask a question. i'm always polite and i always thank everyone for the info they give me. but every thread I've posted in you've had something negative to say. it brings me to want to start using another site. there's no reason to be ignorant and act like your better than me because you have a higher post count and a moderator label.

but anyway

@mike i appreciate all your time and effort in helping me figure this out. many thanks.

·
Registered
2000 s430
11 Posts
is this what I should do to add an aftermarket amp n replace the subwoofer in the back dash as I just wanna add some more bass to my bose system without getting all crazy .n spending absurd amounts of $$$$$. sorry I was referring to Mike5215 post

·
Registered
330 Posts
In the 220, I've used the Infiniti Basslink powered subwoofer to put some authority in the bottom end. It's an easy install because power and speaker signal are right there in the trunk. It takes a little experimentation to get the sound you're looking for in the cabin, because the trunk is so well insulated, so it will be playing extremely loud in the trunk when actually it's just right in the cabin. I mounted mine standing upright (stands provided) in the trunk against the rear seatback, flipped upside down so the controls were accessible.

It's not necessary to remove the factory sub in the rear deck. Just remove the left side trunk liner to expose the Bose amp and the speaker leads. The whole thing should take about a half hour.

This will add fullness to the bottom end and a solid bass drum "hit". It's not going to be heard in nearby cars at traffic lights. I usually get the Basslinks on EBay for a couple hundred bucks. If one isn't cutting it, add a second.

I'm over on the mbworld.org forums for audio stuff pretty regularly. This site, while informative, is a little too stodgy for my taste.

Reactions: roots

·
Registered
2000 s430
11 Posts
I greatly appreciate the info.i usually just sit back n take in all the different info n it sometimes gets scary who to listen to ... but its all homework to me n its all helpful..these cars can b very technical but I found that if u take ur time .they r fairly easy to work on..im gonna remove the factory subwoofer n replace with abetter one n a amp to drive it every thing else wit my system is good ....so far .once again thanks a lot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts