Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1996 E320 260,00 miles Engine Replaced in 2009, 2000 E430 126,000, 2000 S500 160,000
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my son and I decided to replace the head gasket on a 1996 e320. We marked the timing chain but are worried that the bottom link may have slipped off. Not sure however. When we were putting the ignition coils in we messed up and didn't have the sequence right. We tried to start it and it ran very rough. We checked and fixed the ignition coil sequence. Now the car starts but it surges especially above 1500RPM's. Won't stay running.

So if I am mistimed by one tooth would that cause the engine to surge like that. Or could we have blown a coil? We had a small puddle of oil under the care when we rolled it out of the garage.

Could we have blown the engine? It doesn't seem to make a clanking noise or anything. Any ideas?? I need to pull the codes but wasn't able to do that yet.

Thanks for the help. Dean and Davis

·
Registered
1996 E320 260,00 miles Engine Replaced in 2009, 2000 E430 126,000, 2000 S500 160,000
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Chain Tensioner question

while we were putting the timing chain on we backed out the tensioner and then replaced it without taking the pin out and re-inserting it. Could this be a potential problem?? it seemed to compress ok when we inserted it in. We had to push on the back of the ratchet to get it started? Dean

·
Registered
96' E320
101 Posts
No timing shouldnt affect the idle surging, unless its struggling to run and when it does run, its very rough. But if your only having a surging idle and a stall, then thats different. It doesnt sound to me like a ignition or timing issue. Sounds like a vacumme leak, idle air control valve, or a throttle body issue. I know people having electrical problems after they replace the headgasket because of brittle wiring insulation and all the moving moving around of the wiring harness when replacing the headgasket causes it to short out wires that are exposed due to bad insulation. Thats just a thought.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
sounds to me like a vaccum problem too. double check all the vaccuum lines are in their correct spot, and also make sure the air intake to the throttle body is tight. i made the mistake of forgetting to tighten the clamp once and engine would die after 2 seconds.
PeachPartsWiki: Head Gasket Replacement

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It runs but won't run very well seems to be smooth until i get over 2,000 rpm, then it starts to buck and can stall as it is struggling to run. We did check the timing with the drill bits and everything as suggested. When we put it back together same thing. I think it is a vacuum leak as you have suggested. I bought an elm 327 and torque Android App expecting to get some fault codes but found none?? None in the historical file either.

Does this sound like the Limp Home mode that will not let it run past 2000 rpm's. I can get it to go about 20 miles an hour with the car like this. Don't want to wreck the engine.

Considering having it towed into a german performance center and bending over??

Dean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts