Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are not really warranties OR a form of insurance, so they do not fall under the legal protections that protect the buyers of those coverages.
The current automobile issue of Consumer Reports explains that they are prepaid service plans with very high markup and generous commissions to encourage dealers to push them hard with scare tactics, and the value to the customer is questionable. The high repair costs of R129s (which are factored into the contract price) versus the inherent relatively good reliablity of these cars makes it a tough decision.
If an owner decides to buy, exclusionary contracts with no betterment clauses are the best bet, IF one can be found.
Herb

·
Administrator
8,710 Posts
You would probably get better value for money if you opened a high interest savings account at your bank and pay in a set amount on a weekly or monthly basis.
If you don't use the money for anything else other than for repairs, you would then have your own "warranty" system and maybe a nice bonus if nothing goes wrong.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would tend to agree with RedLiner based on my recent experience. I purchased a warrenty (before I knew about this forum) when I bought my 97 SL320. Last week I had several repairs done (replaced defective side mirror motor, fuel level sender, and leaking cam cover seal). These items were covered but the warrenty would only pay for "used" parts! But on the positive side, it covered the labor.

·
Registered
745 Posts
In the UK, you can purchase a two year Mercedes extended warranty if the car is low mileage and sold by a dealer - add on the statutory year's warranty, makes three in total. My last car had that and it worked a treat. I had three sets of cats (I just seem to be attracted by deep puddles in the road) plus a couple of other things which were replaced without quibble. I would advise anyone to go for this.
My present car was not a dealer sell, so I have a three year warranty from the AA (a Uk motoring organisation) that covers all exhaust and folding roof repairs which I yet have to test for the 'quibble factor'...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts