Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Purchased some front corner clears and (carefully) fitted them.
Shortly after I had to go 130 klms up the highway and was stuck behind a redneck in his 4WD.

So at the first opportunity I overtook him at 130 when in my side view mirror I noticed some white debris fly off in to the grass and on to the other side of the highway. I thought it was a plastic bottle or similar sucked up off the road by my (or 4WD's) turbulence.

When I reached my destination 40 mins. later my mate said 'where's your blinker?'. I replied 'I changed them to clears' and he said 'No...there is no blinker there'. WTF!
So now I know what that flying debris was. At least I knew where to find it!

So on the return trip I parked and walked the roadside for 500 M and there it was - undamaged and intact, not one scratch! It had survived popping out at speed and flying across the lane to the other side of the highway.

When I arrived home I swapped them back to the original orange (as seen in pics. on picture thread) and didn't use them again as I had lost confidence in them. On close inspection they don't seem to be exactly the same; or maybe I just didn't push the locating lug in hard enough-but whatever, they are gone.

Moral? Only use OEM, but we already know that don't we?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Purchased some front corner clears and (carefully) fitted them.
Shortly after I had to go 130 klms up the highway and was stuck behind a redneck in his 4WD.

So at the first opportunity I overtook him at 130 when in my side view mirror I noticed some white debris fly off in to the grass and on to the other side of the highway. I thought it was a plastic bottle or similar sucked up off the road by my (or 4WD's) turbulence.

When I reached my destination 40 mins. later my mate said 'where's your blinker?'. I replied 'I changed them to clears' and he said 'No...there is no blinker there'. WTF!
So now I know what that flying debris was. At least I knew where to find it!

So on the return trip I parked and walked the roadside for 500 M and there it was - undamaged and intact, not one scratch! It had survived popping out at speed and flying across the lane to the other side of the highway.

When I arrived home I swapped them back to the original orange (as seen in pics. on picture thread) and didn't use them again as I had lost confidence in them. On close inspection they don't seem to be exactly the same; or maybe I just didn't push the locating lug in hard enough-but whatever, they are gone.

Moral? Only use OEM, but we already know that don't we?

Ahhhh yes I recall seeing that on the evening news ! Reports of UFI 's on the highway (unidentified flying indicators).
Lucky it didn't hit someone or something.

Yes I agree on OEM or if you know of quality aftermarket stuff.
I bought some chrome handle covers for the door thinking it might just give the coupe a little flair breaking up all the blue.
Cheap molded crap from Hong Kong - got what I paid for !
BUT there is a mob in Hong Kong Miracleauto who manufacturer things like these in metal rather than ABS plastic.
About twice the price but definitely better quality. So I deleted the first eBay shop which only did the ABS stuff and added Miracle Auto.

There is good quality stuff out there in terms of accessories - just a matter of finding it or finding someone who has bought them and can recommend build quality.

·
Registered
624 Posts
How about those depo dark amber corners? I just looked at the front of my car and noticed that I have different markers. My drivers is a dark amber my passengers is a US spec corner. Now I'm wondering if it just flew instead of someone just replacing the drivers side with the wrong color.

Just wondering because I wanted to get another dark amber and dont want it flying off.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
I am a real fan of the Depo lights for pre facelift cars, but I lost a few Depo clear corners before yielding to the OEM logic.

I remember that flash moment of a glimpse of a white-plastic looking UFO aside the car. My first response was to buy a back up pair because I am stubborn.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Not having removed these myself - how the hell do they manage to become disconnected from the body ? Surely they are held in by screws and buts ?

·
Registered
547 Posts

·
Immoderately Caffeinated/ Vintage Moderator
16,393 Posts
I lost one outa the TE at over 100kph but didn't know until 20klm later. I wondered why the flashers weren't working and when I looked there was just a big hole where the assembly used to be.:eek:

I went back and there it was on the side of the road with only a chip. Taped it back in and it was fine until I got a new Hella from AH which fits perfectly.

The one that fell out was the original but the plastic clip was broken.

A couple of times with the 300E, wife comes home with indicator assemblies hanging out on the ends of the wires - like my eyeballs after being on the juice:eek:.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A couple of times with the 300E, wife comes home with indicator assemblies hanging out on the ends of the wires
I did for a minute, think about securing them to a solid part of the car (in the engine bay) with a wire so that they would not 'fly away' but then thought no, that would be 'bodgy' and was worried about the above happening. Imagine the damage to the paint caused by an indicator flapping around in the wind on an extended high speed drive (as the bulk of my driving is).

Does anyone know if the factory clears from later models fit a '90?

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I have an OEM Gen II side marker on my 260E that keeps coming off and I don't understand why. It won't "click" in place....I have it taped for now.

Ideas why?

I tried another side marker too and it won't stay in either :confused:

·
Immoderately Caffeinated/ Vintage Moderator
16,393 Posts
I have an OEM Gen II side marker on my 260E that keeps coming off and I don't understand why. It won't "click" in place....I have it taped for now.

Ideas why?

I tried another side marker too and it won't stay in either :confused:
When I had the sedan I couldn't work out why it kept falling out either - wouldn't "click" in like yours. Turned out the metal part of the guard that held the assembly clip in place just needed to be bent in a bit to catch the plastic tab. Was good after that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts