Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The deer accident part 3.
The body shop neglected to mask off the RF headlight, hence while sanding they marred up the new headlight.
I am also not happy with the RF fender to hood fit.
Am I being too picky?
The fender and hood were used parts, will the shop hold that against me?
I put in a call to the shop and sent pics.
Suggestions??

Attachments

·
66,894 Posts
You can sand the marred area of the headlight with a finer sander until smooth
The hood looks like it simply needs a an adjustment of the stop screw on the front cross member; it doesn't look that far off.
I wouldn't worry much or loose sleep if I were you ;) You got a great looking car

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can sand the marred area of the headlight with a finer sander until smooth
The hood looks like it simply needs a an adjustment of the stop screw on the front cross member; it doesn't look that far off.
I wouldn't worry much or loose sleep if I were you ;) You got a great looking car
So what you are saying is to try and repair it myself?
The marr on the headlight is very pourse(sp) and I may make it worse.
The "fit" is more than a stop screw issue.
I'll wait to see what the shop has to say.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
If I had bought all new lights like you did, I'd be pissed. The shop should eat the cost for that headlight, or at least take it off the labour charges.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
First, the headlight would need a new lens worst case, they are about $70 new. No reason for a new headlight!

Second, yes, I'd be pissed too. Minor adjustment or not. First, make sure the hood is closed right, often if you don't close the hood on the coupes right, one side slightly sticks up compared to the other. May not be the case, but worth a check. If its truly not aligned right, get them to fix it.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First, the headlight would need a new lens worst case, they are about $70 new. No reason for a new headlight!

Second, yes, I'd be pissed too. Minor adjustment or not. First, make sure the hood is closed right, often if you don't close the hood on the coupes right, one side slightly sticks up compared to the other. May not be the case, but worth a check. If its truly not aligned right, get them to fix it.
I am aware how to close a hood on a SEC, its closed properly.
I was not aware that the lens' are replaceable.
Thanks for the headsup

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Euro Parts Direct - Discount Prices - OEM Quality

http://www.europartsdirect.com/epc-items.asp

The headlight lens is actually closer to $25.00 usd however it I usually take the light out to change the lens. You might have them do the install on it.
The hood does look like an alignment issue which should also be easy for them to correct. I am surprised that they preped your car without removing the lights, grill and other assorted bits first.

The paint looks like it turned out nicely!

Gerg

ps. they should also adjust the side marker inboard across the side by about 1/8th of an inch to make it a bit more flush.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I wouldn't accept that panel fit!!!! That's half ass work @ it's finest... They may make the arugment that they were limited by the $$ available to them as panel fitting does take a Lot of time. Did you specify you wanted it Right, cost be damned or was it a this job needs to come in @ X $$.

How well does the orange peel match the rest of the car?

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I wasn't aware of the replaceable lens either...my mistake. Definitely makes it easier.

On the subject of orange peel (I think the paint turned out pretty nice on your car all things considered, at least the colour matches and it looks fairly smooth), when I worked in a paint shop part time, we painted many things that were much more intense in terms of quality control than auto body. The old timer in the shop always swore that there was never, ever any excuse for orange peel on anything, especially automotive paint finishes. He maintained that with a properly adjusted gun (and not even one of great expense or super high quality) and an experienced painter, you would never have orange peel. To his credit, everything that came out of his booth was smooth as glass.

Again, the paint looks presentable, just saying there generally are no excuses for orange peel.

One solution for that, depending on your sanding finesse, would be to wet/soap sand the painted panels with something like 800 grit to blend them with the rest of the car. I wouldn't do a whole car like this, as it's pretty insane...well, wouldn't do it again.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I am aware how to close a hood on a SEC, its closed properly.
I'm sure you are, but I know I sometimes think its closed right and then see it looks like in your pic. Just trying to help.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
The headlight lens is actually closer to $25.00 usd
Now that's a good site to know about! The price I listed was from another site, plus I realized I was thinking of the sedan, which is twice the price since it has the foglight as part of the assembly, not separate as on the coupe.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
iirc without checking that site you can also buy new coupe euro headlight units from them, around $245 a piece. I've used europartsdirect for awhile now, but mostly use autohausaz. when I cant wait 7 days for something from autohaus, I'll usually get it from EPD, and it arrives next day with free shipping! Once I even ordered a part in the morning from work and it was on my porch when I got home that night, now thats fast!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldn't accept that panel fit!!!! That's half ass work @ it's finest... They may make the arugment that they were limited by the $$ available to them as panel fitting does take a Lot of time. Did you specify you wanted it Right, cost be damned or was it a this job needs to come in @ X $$.

How well does the orange peel match the rest of the car?

Jonathan
The shop owner knew I was picky, I paid well, the paint match is fine.
I focus in right on the imperfections.
I want it right, keep you posted.
Can someone post a pic of a perfect fit on the RF of a SEC?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Here you go...

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
I wasn't aware of the replaceable lens either...my mistake. Definitely makes it easier.

On the subject of orange peel (I think the paint turned out pretty nice on your car all things considered, at least the colour matches and it looks fairly smooth), when I worked in a paint shop part time, we painted many things that were much more intense in terms of quality control than auto body. The old timer in the shop always swore that there was never, ever any excuse for orange peel on anything, especially automotive paint finishes. He maintained that with a properly adjusted gun (and not even one of great expense or super high quality) and an experienced painter, you would never have orange peel. To his credit, everything that came out of his booth was smooth as glass.

Again, the paint looks presentable, just saying there generally are no excuses for orange peel.

One solution for that, depending on your sanding finesse, would be to wet/soap sand the painted panels with something like 800 grit to blend them with the rest of the car. I wouldn't do a whole car like this, as it's pretty insane...well, wouldn't do it again.
Whenever someone is restoring a car to "as it was when it rolled off the showroom floor" or even doing paint matching, orange peel is almost ALWAYS present! (or at least it should be) And to do paint work correctly so that it matches you have to achieve the same amount of orange peel that the car came with from the factory. I'm not saying that the person you worked with was wrong, but when you match paint you also have to match texture...and seeing a perfectly smooth panel when the rest of the car has factory orange peel is a dead give away that the car has had paint work done.

This also goes hand in hand with matching the paint color by taking into account that the paint has faded to some degree from time etc. Coming from the restoration end of things, I've seen very few body shops that do a top notch job...the usual goal is a quick turn-around.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Whenever someone is restoring a car to "as it was when it rolled off the showroom floor" or even doing paint matching, orange peel is almost ALWAYS present! (or at least it should be) And to do paint work correctly so that it matches you have to achieve the same amount of orange peel that the car came with from the factory. I'm not saying that the person you worked with was wrong, but when you match paint you also have to match texture...and seeing a perfectly smooth panel when the rest of the car has factory orange peel is a dead give away that the car has had paint work done.

This also goes hand in hand with matching the paint color by taking into account that the paint has faded to some degree from time etc. Coming from the restoration end of things, I've seen very few body shops that do a top notch job...the usual goal is a quick turn-around.
The paint is fine, its the fit and attention to detail, or lack of, that makes me crazy

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I agree entirely, the same goes for panel fit. If you're restoring a '56 Chevy (the most generic thing I could think of), to have the deck lid, hood, doors etc. keep a consistent 1/8" panel gap would also be above and beyond what the factory did, and would also not match in terms of originality.

I was putting that out there in case someone suggested, or the shop perhaps, was arguing that it's impossible to shoot paint with little post preparation and eliminate all orange peel. FWIW, I know my car has "new" doors on the passenger side, but whoever did the paint did impecable work to blend, and the whole car is all nearly 'peel-free from the factory (which has been verified, and even tested with one of those little ultra-sonic paint depth indicator things to a known bench mark).

Anywho, we know the surface of your car looks good:D, and as Sphynx said, it's very rare to find a body shop who doesn't do work mass-production style. That, and if you find one, you'll certainly pay for it.

It's no sin to expect a little cleaner fit, however.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts