Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can say I am quite happy with the decision.

The ride is a bit more 'firm', though I am comparing new dampers to 15 year old ones with 167K Dallas, Texas, miles on 'em.

The OEM Bilsteins weren't leaking, and they all had resistance both in compression and rebound, however, I wanted things a bit less 'floaty'. Don't get me wrong, I dig on floaty...in the right vehicle. A '95 Fleetwood Brougham? You bet! A mid-size (now borderline compact compared to bloated new vehicles) Mercedes? Nah.

Mmmm...1995 Fleetwood....

Sorry, distracted myself for a moment.

With new tie-rod ends, a new center link, new dampers all 'round, new strut mounts, a steering damper which actually does something besides take up space...the car feels great.

The KYB's transmit just a little more road texture. It's not bothersome, to me, but if you like the near 100% isolation of the Bilsteins, the KYB's are not for you. The KYB's aren't harsh, but you definitely receive more road texture feedback.

However, the control arms I purchased were incorrectly indicated as the correct ones for '94-'95 model years. Rockauto usually doesn't do me wrong, but they these mis-categorized. They interfere with the brake rotor. I ground the tiniest bit off with a Dremel so I could get it to a local shop I trust and have them put the old ones back on. I ran out of time, starting a new job and all.

So, if you need LCA's for an older W124, lemme know, been driven on for a whopping 5.2 miles. I still plan on new control arms, but it'll wait for just a bit. Say, can anyone confirm the Febi arms/joints/bushings on AutohausAZ's site are both the correct ones for a '95 and good quality? I've seen Febi around on parts sites, but haven't any experience with seeing/touching them...I don't think. I do my best to go Moog, TRW, or Bosch with suspension/steering parts, but that's not possible this time 'round.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
Febi is a good quality manufacturer. You can't go wrong :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,422 Posts
Febi is a good quality manufacturer. You can't go wrong :thumbsup:
Actually, that's not at all accurate. Febi is good if you want VALUE. If you want true OEM quality than you go with Lemfoerder.

The story goes like this; Febi is a German company and everyone assumes they produce the parts. There is no free lunch in the parts business and you especially don't get anything cheaply made from Germany. And so although Febi redesigns a lot of their parts to be more durable than some OEM parts on paper, they're sourced out and made in place like Turkey.

You may never notice the difference tooling around in your MB, but the Neon Boy Racer types over in the BMW forums don't find Febi all that great over time and punishing use-they use Lemfoerder.

Another example would be the Febi accumulators for the SLS..they'll last half as long as the Lemfoerder's. A lot of you however, will trade before the Febi's go bad, so again, you get your VALUE.

Kevin

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
Are you sure you don't mean Meyle? Febi = Bilstein

·
Registered
93' W124 E36 AMG ; 71' Cadillac Eldorado ; 07' S211 280 CDI
1,011 Posts
Febi and Bilstein is not the same.

I don't know about the others, but over here we think of Febi as the cheaper alternative.

There are also cheaper products, but You don't really consider them at all.

If You want quality - You go for Lemforder. If You want something cheaper You can try Febi. Everytime I used Febi parts I was a little bit dissapointed. Last thing I bought from Febi were the sway bar mounts. After a year they are already starting to show wear and cracks in the rubber...

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts

I totally agree that Lemforder is a superior suspension product in all respects

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The full name of the brand is Febi bilstein but it's not the same as Bilstein - the shock absorber producer. (Logo is also different ;) )

A typical example is the rubber parts set for the shock absorber (rubber boot and the stop). You can get a set from Bilstein for a reasonable price with good quality or the Febi set for cheap. Either way in that particular case I'd go for OEM, since there were several types of stops and aftermarket kits have only one type.

·
Premium Member
10,422 Posts
Are you sure you don't mean Meyle? Febi = Bilstein
Yep...:eek:...attacked the wrong brand. I was meaning Meyle. Don't know the story with Febi. Sorry about that.:eek: I'd have to go over to the BMW forums and see how thrashing Febi turns out for them. Still, we're talking VALUE here against Lemfoerder's quality.

Kevin

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
The full name of the brand is Febi bilstein but it's not the same as Bilstein - the shock absorber producer. (Logo is also different ;) )

A typical example is the rubber parts set for the shock absorber (rubber boot and the stop). You can get a set from Bilstein for a reasonable price with good quality or the Febi set for cheap. Either way in that particular case I'd go for OEM, since there were several types of stops and aftermarket kits have only one type.
I agree that Febi is a value-priced product line within Bilstein, but so far as I can tell, they're still considerably more quality conscious than Meyle, which appears to be the target of the OP's criticism. Lemforder seems to be a real German company producing real German quality...unfortunately, they're doing so for real German prices.

·
Premium Member
10,422 Posts
As I said (even though I misspoke about the brand), you get what you pay for in the parts world and there are no free lunches. You want German quality to match your German car's factory quality, then you buy Lemforder...probably helps to spell it correctly as well. Where did I get Lemfoerder.....:confused:

Kevin

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Lemfoerder is correct, because it's a proper way of spelling LEMFÖRDER when You don't have a German keyboard.

Zeitgeist - I guess our opinions about each company are very similar.

Recently I started to first check all the prices at the dealership. Sometimes they prove cheaper than aftermarket + original MB parts are often redesigned for better performance.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I purchased the control arms your asking about last week. They came YESTERDAY.

Made in Spain, seem to be good quality. parts.com qouted me about $345/each for factory if you want OE, $480 list price.

I could never get any straight talk about this subject in the past. Many ppl obviously put them on- but nobody could tell me of the life.

Michael

·
Premium Member
99 SLK230 Kompressor, 5 Speed Manual
1,117 Posts
I can say I am quite happy with the decision.

The ride is a bit more 'firm', though I am comparing new dampers to 15 year old ones with 167K Dallas, Texas, miles on 'em.

The OEM Bilsteins weren't leaking, and they all had resistance both in compression and rebound, however, I wanted things a bit less 'floaty'. Don't get me wrong, I dig on floaty...in the right vehicle. A '95 Fleetwood Brougham? You bet! A mid-size (now borderline compact compared to bloated new vehicles) Mercedes? Nah.

Mmmm...1995 Fleetwood....

Sorry, distracted myself for a moment.

With new tie-rod ends, a new center link, new dampers all 'round, new strut mounts, a steering damper which actually does something besides take up space...the car feels great.

The KYB's transmit just a little more road texture. It's not bothersome, to me, but if you like the near 100% isolation of the Bilsteins, the KYB's are not for you. The KYB's aren't harsh, but you definitely receive more road texture feedback.

However, the control arms I purchased were incorrectly indicated as the correct ones for '94-'95 model years. Rockauto usually doesn't do me wrong, but they these mis-categorized. They interfere with the brake rotor. I ground the tiniest bit off with a Dremel so I could get it to a local shop I trust and have them put the old ones back on. I ran out of time, starting a new job and all.

So, if you need LCA's for an older W124, lemme know, been driven on for a whopping 5.2 miles. I still plan on new control arms, but it'll wait for just a bit. Say, can anyone confirm the Febi arms/joints/bushings on AutohausAZ's site are both the correct ones for a '95 and good quality? I've seen Febi around on parts sites, but haven't any experience with seeing/touching them...I don't think. I do my best to go Moog, TRW, or Bosch with suspension/steering parts, but that's not possible this time 'round.

Thanks!

BTDT! I got my 300E in '98 and not long after decided I should replace the shocks. The KYB's seemed like a bargain. Once bolted on, I thought that I had accidentally bolted steel rods in their place. I ran them awhile and then went through a few combinations before finding the combination I like most.

I went through sportline sway bars, Bilstein Comforts and HD's. I ended up with the front bar back to stock, the rear bar from a 500E and Bilstien Comforts. The car is not objectionably harsh, but the stiff rear bar removed a good bit of understeer. There is more body lean than many might like, but the removal of the understeer more than makes up for it. Try it, you'll like it.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
10,422 Posts
Made in china sometimes these days....
No auto parts company can wear the moniker "good quality manufacturer" and have product made in China....it's a simple as that. Same with product made in Turkey or India.

Kevin

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
The biggest thing that I noticed was the huge difference in nose dive associated with Comforts and Sports. You wouldn't even believe it...

The difference in cornering between comforts and sports too is really large.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
I now see that Lemfoerder and Sachs-Boge are the same company; not sure when that happened.

My only experience with KYBs is on my VWs. I've run them quite a few times, and they worked fairly well on the primitive aircooled suspensions. About six years ago when I bought my Vanagon, I acquired a complete set of KYBs, but only installed the rears. Recently I opened up the packages for the fronts and found that they both seem to compress/rebound at radically different rates. I don't know if that's a factory flaw, or something to do with sitting for so long.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts