Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not so ugly. At least it was nothing mechanical or anything to do with the powertrain. My COMAND unit is fVcked!

Surprise surprise... with all the electro-gadgetry in this car, I should have seen this coming. Initial symptoms were that my screen would remain on even after shutdown of the car and locking with the fob. This once resulted in total drainage of the battery when I first didn't notice the screen remained on. A temporary remedy was to manually shut off the COMAND unit every time I left the car. Then today, it just died. Upon start-up, the COMAND screen would freeze at the "Mercedes Benz" logo screen and not go any further. No disclaimer screen, no menu, no nav, no radio, no sat radio, no anything. I did nothing unusual and have not tampered with the unit with aftermarket stereo equipment. It just croaked. Piece of crap.

First available service appointment is not until Monday. I'm hoping to get a new-ML demo car as a loaner if they have one.

Until then, I guess it'll be top down, right foot down, and resort to listening to the other music this car can make.

It's not so bad with the lovely raucous the engine makes... as my first MB car though, this scores poorly in my book and will definitely factor unfavorably in my next car purchase decision this winter. Apparently, everything I was warned about Mercedes-Benz electronic/electrical problems are true. Oh well, at least the engine didn't blow up like on their last season's F1 cars.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
237 Posts
Sorry to hear that, masmole.. Hope MB can fix the problem quickly and find its root cause for all of us... Mines still fine at 1200 miles.

I noticed that the rubber strips along the plastic section next to the rear window have come loose. A minor cosmetic problem as I do not drive my SLK when it is raining...

·
Registered
SLK350
67 Posts
At around 2500 miles my COMAND unit took a long time to startup. The MB logo stayed on for approximately 1 minute before my radio started up. The buttons were unresponsive. It was a one time incident and at 5200 miles it has not recurred.

The only issue I'm having with COMAND is that in map mode and I want to change to a preset by pressing the numbers on the console, there is a delay between switching presets. There is no delay if I tune up or down on the steering wheel controls. Anyone else have this issue with the preset radio station delay while in map mode?

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
Greendestiny

Yes I get the same delay changing radio station in map mode, it comes up with the station name and will not change for maybe 30 secs, whereas in audio/radio mode the change is instant.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Hmmm... let's hope it's just the unit which is defective. That way they can swap and replace it with another one. If they have it in stock, should be a 15 minute job (plus testing).

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: Well my car has been with service since yesterday and I just got the call that the COMAND unit has a "short" somewhere and it was evident when they plugged it into the computer. Although it did not exhibit the symptoms I was having at the time I dropped it off, they were able to confirm that my unit was indeed defective based on a log/error code in the system. They had to order a new COMAND unit as a replacement and expect it will arrive tomorrow. To my surprise, my service advisor went on and admitted that I'm not the first '05 whose COMAND unit freaked out on them. So much for raising MB production standards starting with 2005 cars, electronically at least. While my car is in the shop, I also asked them to check on my side windows which had an occasional tendency to bounce back when attempting to close with the one-touch-up button. It seemed that my side windows had an overly sensitive pinch protection mechanism which caused it to open again slightly after activating a one-touch close. This happened on both windows unpredictably, not all the time. So far of course, they have not managed to recreate this symptom.

On my last service visit to install Sirius, I got an ML350 as a loaner. This time, I got an ML500. Even with the power and smoothness of the ubiquitous 5-liter MB powerplant, the old ML is still an immensely crappy car to drive. Still amazed at how the driving experience is night and day between the old ML and my X5. Still scratching my head on how it ever became one of MB's best sellers. Hopefully the new COMAND unit arrives tomorrow and I get my car back soon. I miss it.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
masmole:

Think practicality and the fact that it was around first. My old ML was one of the first (long before X5's were out) and it has held amazing cargo for my other half's retail store. My best budy has a nice X-5, but has hit things several times due to visibility issues. They are both good cars and have merits of their own...[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Motzkoman - 5/3/2005 7:44 PM
My best budy has a nice X-5, but has hit things several times due to visibility issues.
Very true on the visibility issues, and funny you mention that because look what I did last week:

The irony! I smashed the PDC's proximity sensor into another parked car's license plate. The very thing that was supposed to prevent me from doing that. Chalk it up to a rare moment of utter stupidity on my part and we'll leave it at that.

Back to the ML... I was merely bashing it from a fun-to-drive perspective. Otherwise, for people who don't care about how it drives, it's a solid overall car. Very practical and likely a more competent off-roader than the X5 ever will. But to people like me who prefer their suv's to drive less like a truck and more like a sports sedan, the ML was not the ticket. From what I've heard though, the new ML changes all that.

Now back to my SLK's comand unit woes... I just spoke to my service advisor and he notified me that there may be a small delay due to limited availability of the comand units in the area. Anyone else here needed to have their's replaced yet? Ruh Roh....

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
masmole:

I will have to share your pic/post with my buddy...all his incidents were backing up. I did get to drive the 2006 ML at the MBZ event on 4/22 and it is improved over my '98 version.

I also liked the ride in my buddy's X-5 and prior to my ML was a BMW advocate (I had wished they had their SUV out first). All in all, I still like both BMW and Mercedes...maybe from being born in Germany...[^]

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got my car back today! The new COMAND unit seems to be working well and so far without any quirks. Still have my fingers crossed though. Just being 2 days apart from the car made me forget just how insanely quick it is. Gave myself a nice reminder today. Wow. I know it's just all in my head but I really think the new COMAND unit added another 100 hp to my car... give or take a hundred. [:D][;)][:p]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts