Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560 SEC
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone be so kind as to point me in the right direction on how to change the aft fluid on my '87 560 SEC?

I just spent 30 min searching and couldnt really find much...

I am just going to do a drain and fill. I am not going to change the filters.

I understand that the torque converter needs drained too? This is where I need help.

Thx.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,681 Posts
Can someone be so kind as to point me in the right direction on how to change the aft fluid on my '87 560 SEC?

I understand that the torque converter needs drained too? This is where I need help.

Thx.
To be able to access the converter drain bolt, you can turn the torque converter by putting a 27mm (= 1" 1/16) and a long breaker bar on the front crank to turn 'clock wise' only). Or you can have a friend push the car while watching the converter rotate. You need a good set of allen (hexagonal) mm sockets for the torque converter drain, a breaker bar, beside a ratchet is good to have.. Once drained, re tighten the bolt (not sure if it has a washer? If so, new is recommended). I would still recommend a new filter with gasket, and tighten everything to spec. The converter will fill with the ATF refill.
Make sure to read Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum - Announcements in Forum : W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class and search with 2 words of more than 3 letters = 'ATF change,' transmission filter' transmission fluid' etc.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
quote>Or you can have a friend push the car while watching the converter rotate
------------------
Don't think so - with the box at rest the rear pump has not built up any pressure and ergo the drive clutch has not engaged, so how will the torgue converter rotate by pushing the car?
Bump the starter

·
Registered
MBZ '87 300SDL, MBZ '85 380SL, RR '77 Silver Shadow II, MBZ '98 E300TD
464 Posts

Thx.
There is one painfree way to do this and the others work just fine (including the one in the FSM) but I will never go back. Obtain a $50-75.00 hand pumped vacuum operated fluid changer (the type with a round pressure vessel can be had from most auto supply houses and eBay for $60.00 with 7 quart capacity), and enough ATF transmission fluid to perform the replacement and any flushing you care to do.

I've converted over to GM Dexron VI (Castrol of late) and use the R129 dual pickup filters, well worth the minor additional cost. Now on to the procedure:

1. Spray down the transmission line fittings with penetrating oil a day or two before the fluid replacement is scheduled
2. warm up the transmission by taking a 20 minute drive
3. Get some gloves on and undue the transmission cooling lines to the bottom of the radiator where the transmission cooler resides, you want the line that comes out from the radiator and back to the transmission
4. Place the pan under the disconnected return line
5. remove the dipstick in the transmission
6. Use Dexron III or VI to slightly overfill the transmission while you watch fluid quantity going into the pan - it will be slow until the engine starts
7. Start the engine (parking brake on, trans in park), the transmission pump will begin to pump fluid out of the coolant line
8. Watch for the fluid to come out progressively cleaner, use a lamp to inspect the color and consistency of the fluid
9. Stop the engine - for obvious reasons, you do not want to run the transmission empty by allowing the fluid level to drop while the transmission pump pushes fluid out of the transmission at a fair rate, the goal is to get the gunk out, and this is the best way I've found to get dirt you cannot reach otherwise
10. Refit the transmission cooler line and tighten, replace hose if you notice it's brittle, wet or damaged (they are only supposed to last 7-10 years)
11. Fit the vacuum pump pickup tube down into the transmission dipstick tube until the tube reaches the bottom of the pan, fit the seal over the dipstick tube mouth and start pumping. A few minutes and all the fluid will be drained - if you drop the pan you'll see how few drops escape under vacuum
11. You can now replace your filter by removing the pan, or if the filter is still reasonably new, just refill, start engine and top off slowly as necessary until it's at the cold fill mark.

Both the torque converter (diabolical to line up) and the transmission pan have 5 mm allen head drain plugs that are very prone to stripping out during removal or re-tightening - learning the hard way taught me to just never touch them - top draw using vacuum is how the pros do it and with good reason - faster, cleaner (vacuum leaves very little behind) with no risk of damage to the pan or torque converter drain plugs.

Do yourself a favour, spring for the vacuum pump. The torque converter holds a good 2.5-3 quarters depending on transmission, but the flushing procedure gets that cleared out since it obtains it's oil supply through a one-way valve from the pan and that was flushed in the earlier part of the procedure.

Good luck.

-bh

·
Registered
1987 560 SEC
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can someone tell me where the crankshaft is to turn it with the 27mm socket?

·
Registered
1987 560 SEC
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BenzHacker,

Thanks for the write up. I need to study that post until I feel comfortable running the engine....

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
Can someone tell me where the crankshaft is to turn it with the 27mm socket?
Might I suggest buying the service CDs? They have all the writeups with pictures to help you along, it will be a great help in the long run and help get you real familiar with your car if you are going to be doing work to it. That's how I learned when I started, I found them a lifesaver.

If you look at your engine from the front, you will see the various pulleys. The main one at the center (large one) with the 27mm nut as mentioned above is the one. I've attached the PDF from the service CDs I recommended that shows a picture. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1987 560 SEC
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks.

Yes. The CD's were ordered 2 weeks ago. I paid for them and never got them. So I have been reaching out here to those of you that know this stuff and have the manuals until I can get my set.

Thanks again.

·
Banned
a device that is designed or used to transport people or cargo.
14,116 Posts
clockwise, looking at the front of the engine, as if to tighten, right?

To be able to access the converter drain bolt, you can turn the torque converter by putting a 27mm (= 1" 1/16) and a long breaker bar on the front crank to turn 'clock wise' only). Or you can have a friend push the car while watching the converter rotate. You need a good set of allen (hexagonal) mm sockets for the torque converter drain, a breaker bar, beside a ratchet is good to have.. Once drained, re tighten the bolt (not sure if it has a washer? If so, new is recommended). I would still recommend a new filter with gasket, and tighten everything to spec. The converter will fill with the ATF refill.
Make sure to read Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum - Announcements in Forum : W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class and search with 2 words of more than 3 letters = 'ATF change,' transmission filter' transmission fluid' etc.
Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts