Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Been some debate as weather or not to remove your aentenna or not when going through an automated ca

• The staff at the carwash take my aentenna off to avoid break.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • They leave my aentenna on because water will break the RF connection

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been some debate as weather or not to remove your aentenna or not when going through an automated car wash. What do you guys thing.

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
I cant answer this poll because I dont take my baby to any POS auto carwash

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts
The carwash unscrewed my antenna and the hardware fell into the fender. It was a real PIA to disassemble the trunk to gain access to the mounting hardware to fix it.

Can anybody post pics of the removal tool and how to use it to remove the part thats supposed to come off?

I would like to take the precaution of removing it but after seeing it fall apart I am relucktant to mess with it again.

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
RE: Antenna and Base removal

Read before you start
Go slow, take your time.
1 Remove the antenna mast by unscrewing it.
Remember "Lefty Loosey Righty Tighty".
2 Then take the 10 mm wrench from the tool kit and turn the silver nut under the threads that held on the mast.
Be careful and go slow there is not enough room to turn the wrench all the way around it will bind up and scratch the fender.
3 Remove the nut. Gently lift off the black base, careful not to jerk it or scratch the fender.
It will come off, the signal wire is attached to it.
4 Open the trunk.
5 Remove the plastic rivet holding the upper fuzzy panel at the trunk hinge.
6 Gently pull back the upper fuzzy panel only.
7 Shine a flash light in there to see what is in there.
The base backing plate will be stuck to the fender at the hole or it may have fallen down along the wire to the booster box where the wire attachés.
*CAUTION*
When you reach into the fender well to undo the wire there are very sharp edges in there that will cut your hand so go slowly. (a glove is too bulky)
8 Follow the wire to the box and gently push down on the connector and twist it about a quarter turn then gently pull up it will come off.
*CAUTION*
Do not let the base backing plate slide off of the wire and fall down into the fender, you will never reach it and it will rattle forever.
9 Gently remove the parts and watch your hand on the metal as you pull back.
10 Installation is the reverse.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
RE: Antenna and Base removal

The SLK would never be allowed to go through a car wash. Hand wash only.

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
I go to the hands free car wash with no brushes. Never had an antenna problem.

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
RE: Antenna removal prior to car wash.

MB states the antenna is car wash safe. BS.

The neoprene rag car wash is the only one that will not scratch your paint or leave swirl marks.

Providing a 4 wheeler caked with mud didn't go through before you.

·
Registered
SLK 320
209 Posts
I've never had a problem with the car wash....been through it maybe 10 times with my SLK. Those that feel the car should never go through a car wash (GAWD FORBID!!!! LOLOLOL) are anal retentive IMHO. No scratches and the antenna is FINE.

Geekapoo[:eek:)]

·
Registered
10 Posts
RE: Antenna removal for car wash

My Owner's Manual states: "WARNING: Do not remove antenna for a car wash or any other reason; damage to antenna could occur."

That said, I've had an antenna stalk snap in half from an automatic car wash. In replacing the stalk, the base unit on the fender loosened up, and I lost all the mounting hardware down into the fender well.

It was a pain to fix; and about $100 for replacement parts. I started removing the antenna stalk after that, but the FM reception never recovered from the repeated removal of the stalk for car washes.

My preferred resolution would be a car-wash friendly stalk that bends and recovers without snapping in half.

My car has Nano-paint; we'll see how it handles automatic car washes in general.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts