Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
w202 1997 C230 Kompressor
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago, my car was towed because of a fault rearview mirror console unit, it is now replaced and the shop told me that my steering is noisy ( which is perfectly ok before the mirror being replaced ) !

Already Spent enough money on the replacement of the inside mirror and would like to have some input what causes the noisy steering ?? Is that a easy DIY job at all ??

I heard some continuous noise that sound like coming off from a pump ! Is it related to the power steering pump ????

Thanks guys !

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
Low oil in power steering will be noisy - tends to growl on full lock

Use recommended fluid- not any old ATF

Oberoi

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the power steering oil tonight and it is on max now. There are 2 sets of marking on the dip stick - set #1 - 20 - max & min then the other set #2 - 60 - Max and min. I assumed that the 20 & 60 refer to the temperature, and it is now on 60 - max. Also, the oil looks very clean to me !!!!

Any other things that I can checked ??

One thing, I noticed that my fuel consumption is getting very high these 2 days, I clean my MAF twice before and I did it again today. I removed the 2 trox screws and try to clean the sensor tip as well, I found that some of the epoxy sealed around the 4 edges on the flat side of the sensor came off, so I am thinking that it is time to replaced the MAF ! my car is 147K now and never replace MAF before !

The question I have is – will that be associated with the “steering noise” at all ?? that is, the faulty MAF generated all these noise of whatever reasons and ……

Thanks for any input !

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry guys ! I made a mistake about where the sound is coming from !

I changed the MAF tonight and start up the car, I just drive around in the parking lot area and did not feel any big difference with the new MAF at all. Hopefully when I am driving on the street, I can feel improvement in power, mileage etc…. One terrible thing I found out, the noise is still there, it was not related to the steering but the newly replaced rearview mirror

I will bring the car back to the shop and ask them to follow up on that NEW but sounds “faulty” rearview mirror for me ! Thanks Oberoi for your advise !

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
Well, there's only so much money you can spend on a rear view mirror!!!

Would be worth looking around for a new shop?

Oberoi

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes exactly !

Anyway, I will bring it back to that shop and let them find out what's wrong with the "NEW" Rearview Mirror they put on my car !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts