Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'08 E63 AMG Wagon. C280 (320) track/drift slag. Wife has CLK500 Convertible
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is a little off topic, but I can't think of any better guys to help me out here.

My good lady and I start our world trip in a little over 3 weeks time.

In June, we will be arriving in LA, then spending three months travelling up the west coast, taking in the sights, up to Canada then heading east eventually flying out of Toronto 3 months later.

We are looking at ways to get around these two fine countries, and buying a car seems the obvious solution (a Benz would of course be nice, but realistically a $500 Civic or similar will do). This is where I need some advise:

How does insurance and general car legality (tax, mot etc.) work over there - do I need to buy an insurance policy to drive legally? What sort of cover will I need and what will it cost? (for a 29 and 31 year old, 2 clean licenses, never had an accident blah blah)

If we buy a car in LA, will there then be a problem selling it on when we get to Toronto?

Thank you for your help. C.

·
Registered
1985 500SEL
835 Posts
Dear friend:

The tax depends on which state you buy the car from,
and you pay state sales tax.

ex: Michigan State tax is 6% of purchase
also you will have to pay registration fees in some states ..

The insurance is a must by law.. you can get away with one way insurance (No collision and no comprehensive) for cheap

check www.amica.com

and yes.. if you want to sell the car in Canada, you have to go through the process of importing the US car to Canada (not bad if the car is 15 years or older) other wise, it is costly and too much work

my advice: consider renting a car.. might be cheaper on the long run

·
Registered
1985 300SD
831 Posts
Renting a car would be ALOT less hassle. It maybe a little more expensive though. The only way I can see any problems is the importing the car to Canada deal. Sounds like too much paperwork to me.

I have a very good friend who travels alot. He maybe able to give you more answers. He does this all the time when he travels to other countries. He should be back soon. He is in Australia right now.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Kingorcus - 3/7/2005 11:03 AM

The tax depends on which state you buy the car from,
and you pay state sales tax.

The insurance is a must by law.. you can get away with one way insurance (No collision and no comprehensive) for cheap
unquote

Tax is assesed by the state you REGISTER the car in. I bought my Magnum in Missouri and registered it in Illinois. I paid Illinois sales tax.

Foreigners (can also mean Missourians in California) can get drive-away tags - maybe up to 30 days. After that show the cops your passport, speak Korean and cry - works every time for a friend of mine.

Insurance in some states - you can be self insured. States hate that but it is there. In other states you can buy insurance by the month - that's the scam to get by the mandatory insurance laws. Pay one month and then drop it - car is still registered.

And it goes on and on - BTW Eisenhower gave us a half baked highway system too.

Lastly the cheapest is if you ship your car over here and drive it but since you're from the UK that's impractical.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,283 Posts
Hi ScrapingScrap,

Would there be DUTY to pay at the border, or afterwards?

Several years ago, I went to the Christie's A K Miller auction in Orange, VT, where a Canadian fellow successfully captured a '23 RR Springfield Ghost roadster (sweet). The car was very complete & totally original - needing a ground up restoration. I do think the man paid somewhat in excess of US $100K for the car.

The story sours at the Canadian border however. Apparently, he was to fork over the equivalent of US $40K duty, just to import the car.......... Well... add restoration....

Turns out, he sold the car here in the US, and took a significant loss, as he was unable to justify the total cost of the restored car. Hadn't totally figured out the duty to bring the car into Canada. Too bad, as it was a great car, with great potential!

Somewhat of a digression, [:)] MBL

·
Registered
1988 560SEL
195 Posts
Well all, being a Canuck and just having done this with a motorcycle I can shed some light on this. If the vehicle is under 15 yrs it must go thru a broker. If it is manfactured in the good ole usa or Canada Ie; Ford, GM, Chrysler, no duty, just has to be certified by manufacturer to not have any outstanding recalls, has to meet safety specs and has to go thru a broker I think it is Livingston. The package is $180 comes with the stickers to make the speedo read in KMS. Once here it has to be inspected by an approved (Canadian Tire) inspection station to prove that it meets our regulations ie: from 1990 on we had daylight on headlights and the us did not until a few years later. If it is over 15 yrs and North American no package, no broker. US customs needs the ORIGINAL (Don't ask how I know that) papers for 72 hrs to check that it is not stolen, leined etc. And they will not break that rule. (Good time to get to know Portland Maine tho) Then you take those papers to Canada customs and pay GST, and your in. If it is a foreign car all the above apply except it has to be on the allowable list or may need some required modifications, and duty is applicable. For a US spec benz or bimmer on the allowed list the duty is 6.1 or 6.4 percent, which I can't remember. Any motorcycle, over 15 yrs no duty

http://www.riv.ca/

Check this link, all the info is there. oh ya, it also changes all the time..... Ty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts