Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1997 s420 (pearl black opal), 2005 c230k (obsidian black)
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking into buying a diesel w124...i found this for sale add stating the issue with the transmission. Does anyone know anything about these diesel transmissions, could this be a serious issue (id have to swap the transmission) or maybe something simpler/cheaper??

This is the add:

<<<automatic, has 196k miles, diesel engine runs great, tranny is on the way out, can be driven, it is inconsistent with the problem, on initial start up it shifts fine, after it is warm it is very sluggish when starting from stopped position, has little to no power climbing hills, interior very good, exterior decent, little rust around the drivers door, tires good, wheels good, all glass intact, clean one owner title, AC works great, heat great, radio works, has all books with records, might be worth putting a tranny in. >>>

·
Registered
94 E320 5 spd conversion
952 Posts
Assume the worst, add the cost of a rebuilt (or salvage if you're daring) trans to the purchase price. The numbers could work if the rest of the car is almost perfect and you do your own labor. If you need to pay a shop to do it, then listen to the hand on your shoulder saying "not this one son".

"clean one owner title" is from a flipper. If it was the original owner I think he would say it. Consider this red flag #2.

It comes down to cost, condition, and what wrenching you will do. I purchased a 95 gasser (with bad paint and trans) for the new wiring harness in it, was going to part it out but found it was way too good for that. Now it has a rebuilt trans and is another family member's daily driver.

Let us know what turns out.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
The stated symptoms don't really sound like transmission issues. What year is the vehicle?

·
Registered
2011 E350 Bluetec, 2005 E320 CDI (sold), 1995 E300 Diesel (RIP)
40 Posts
Find out how much to rebuild the tranny. I had a quote from a mechanic who was a scam artist for $1800..I'm not sure what these things actually cost to rebuild. I'm assuming it's a 95 E300 Diesel like mine since you are posting in the W124 Forum, and the first year with the E300 nameplate and the 6-cylinder diesel would be 95 in the United States. In 93, it was the 5 cylinder diesel and was pre-facelift, and there wasn't an E-class diesel offering in 1994.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
I believe all the 124 diesels available in the US from '90 - '95 used the same 722.4 transmission. If the OP is referring to an '87 300D/TD, then that car has a much stronger 722.3 tranny.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,400 Posts
The issue sounds more like fuel delivery (probably needs at least all new filters including the tank strainer) and a engine in desparate need to have the intake tract de-carboned and a serious dose of diesel purging.

Mine did the same when I picked it up w/ 48K on the clock. After the tune-up, it became a whole new animal.

I'd stay away from a rusted W124 though, there are way too many nicer W124s out there.

·
Registered
1997 s420 (pearl black opal), 2005 c230k (obsidian black)
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok i think im going to stay away from this one because it seems as if there many posibilities as to what is causing this seemingly transmission problem, and the fact that i dont want to be hunting down and replacing transmissions for this rare diesel.

right now im looking at a 1993 190e with 175k 5-speed manual, $1,000 gonna go check it out tomorrow. seems to good to be true.

Thanks for the help fellas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts