Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Congratulations on the new SLR!!

When you say it's not shifting smoothly, is it because you're not used to the shifting points or something?

SLR is faster in auto anyway. :D:D

·
Registered
S500/W220/2000
21,652 Posts
Hello. I am new to this forum, but regularly contribute to the W140 forum as I own 1998 models.

I am the new owner of a black SLR roadster. It had 185 miles on it and is technically used as I am the second owner now.

My question is this. I have never before owned a car with paddles and I am finding it rather sticky. Any suggestions for smooth shifting. I have for years driven six speed sticks, but this paddle business is making me look like a buffoon on the street. Well, more so than ordinarily, anyway.

Below a couple of snaps after bringing it home Saturday.

Many thanks in advance,

Cheers,

RW.
Save those paddles for your girlfriend!

·
Registered
1988 300 TE. 2001 ML 55AMG The Shop is Open!!!
328 Posts
Paddles

Hello. I am new to this forum, but regularly contribute to the W140 forum as I own 1998 models.

I am the new owner of a black SLR roadster. It had 185 miles on it and is technically used as I am the second owner now.

My question is this. I have never before owned a car with paddles and I am finding it rather sticky. Any suggestions for smooth shifting. I have for years driven six speed sticks, but this paddle business is making me look like a buffoon on the street. Well, more so than ordinarily, anyway.

Below a couple of snaps after bringing it home Saturday.

Many thanks in advance,

Cheers,

RW.
Yes, they take some getting used to. Congratulations on your new SLR!

When you decide to take it to the next level in performance, give me a pm.

Happy Benzing!!!

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Yes, I am clearly not accustomed to using them. When I downshift and remove my foot from the accelerator the car lurches and the rpm's shoot up and down between 2-4,000 rpm, like the motor is deprived of petrol. It does not do any of this when set to automatic mode.

Not sure what I am doing wrong, but I bloody hate it.

Cheers,

R.
Have you tried downshifting without taking your foot off the accelerator?

·
Registered
SLR-Roadster, SL55AMG, Lexus, Escalade
10 Posts
I have never before owned a car with paddles and I am finding it rather sticky. Any suggestions for smooth shifting. I have for years driven six speed sticks, but this paddle business is making me look like a buffoon on the street. Well, more so than ordinarily, anyway. -- RW
Love my SLR Roadster :thumbsup: (black/black/gold-calipers). Bought it in Nov '07, drive it almost everyday and already has about 6500 miles on it.

Never had a problem with the paddles in manual mode and use them most of the time because it's just so much fun. For smoother and longer shifting times I'll choose option-I instead of the sportier option-III setting. I never take my foot off the accelerator when up-shifting. It's just like being in full automatic except that you get to choose when the shifting is to occur. However, when I want to simulate stick-shifting, I'll speed up to about 3000 or up to 4000 RPM, then slightly lift the pressure off the accelerator, up-shift, wait for the change to occur, then step on the accelerator again... and so on. Play with it to choose what works for you.

As far as you having unpleasant down-shifting experiences, you may be down-shifting too early i.e. not waiting until RPM is below 2500 RPM. I usually let the SLR down-shift on its own (staying under 2000 RPM) which it will automatically do even when in manual mode. Allowing an engine to rev up over 4000 to slow down a car really puts a strain on an engine, and can't be good for it either... I would think.

By the way, did you buy Manny's SLR Roadster?

Best -- Tao

1 - 6 of 6 Posts