Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in about 2 weeks im getting my first car and my first MB,(i have to drive from pittsburgh to dc and back to get it, 8 hour roundtrip but anywho) ive been trying todo my homework and read-up on what you guys are talking about and i looked at the car
84 230E, and the front seats/armrest are in pretty bad shape i was just wondering if you guys had any advice on what todo

·
Registered
424 Posts
You need to tell if you have leather, MB-Tex or fabric interior. If its dirty, worn out or shredded. A picture could be helpful.

Some advice: the seat bottom parts can be changed from driver- to passenger side easily. You can reinforce the seats with foam. Once I welded a broken spring (well, spring steel should not be welded, but I reinforced the seat and put it to passenger side to decrease strain).

Fabric cover can be removed easily and put into washing machine. I know people, who have cleaned their MB-Tex with a high pressure washer (I would'nt do that).

Anyway, good choice you made.

·
Registered
'78 240D
74 Posts
get used to this.

sorry for the long post, i'm procrastinating... yeah, you will now spend the remainder of your cars/your life, whichever ones number is up first, rooting through long lists of obscure parts, haunting junkyards, getting to know the people at benzbin, germanstar, dieselgiant, etc. by their first names and scrubbing a variety of fluids and fuels from your driveway. you will also gain the ability to spot a 13mm socket from a hundred yards, to change oil, ATF and all filters in a single hour! so, in short, be prepared to spend a little/lot of time with the car, a few hours a week on this forum and any "extra" cash you come across on parts and tools. not to worry though, it can be very rewarding and the people here are very helpful, until you post something like, "so, i checked my oil today and i was down about a gallon, why is my car running so badly?"... check your oil EVERY time you fill up, i check mine daily but i'm a bit obsessive and like everyone here will tell you, CHANGE IT HOT AND OFTEN!

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,162 Posts
...But don't worry about the diesel valve adjusting wrenches. ...or glow plug reamer, since you have a gasser.

You can buy things 3 times on e-bay, but that doesn't mean you will get anything you're happy with or even anything better than what you have now. So, I would recommend saving your money and buying new seat covers. There are a few places where you can get them. Maybe we should start an "upholstery" thread.

There's World upholstery...
http://www.worlduph.com/hubpageMERCEDES.htm

jjproducts.net
http://www.jjproducts.net/jj_products_htm/products/Mercedes/index.html
(They do, you just have to ask)

I think performance products has options too?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its a leather intereor, car is in great condiiton aside from weathering cracks on dash and crappy seats

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya, i don't know what im talking about exactly but the car was converted to US specs..uhh has 107k miles on it and just had like 5k worth of work done to it but the interior smells a little( i think the front seats or floor) and the seats are in piss poor condition

·
Registered
1984 300CD
2,703 Posts
Gregs300CD said:
What are you talking about?
What is WHO talking about? d;^) LOL

Any way, you have a few options depending on your budget. You could spend a few thousand to completely rebuild the interior or a few hundred for used seats.

here's another link for upholstery.
http://www.4basic.com/

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks, i havent had a chance to floor it in this car yet, but what is its top speed about? its an amazing car but i would be stunned if it did anything over 90

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its a gasser theres no way it can break 100 unless it should and theres sumthin wrong with a filter or something that car cannot break the 100 barrier,i dont have any good roads to speed on around here best ive done is 85 and i was nearly floorin it

·
Registered
83 300 d t
699 Posts
i know it is a gasser but gasers should be faster than diesl. try a tune up plugs wire cap roter and wires . this will help your top end plus save alot of dino gold.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts