Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350 Launch Ed.
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm extremely happy with my Launch Edition SLK350 however, the sound system is about as bad as I've ever heard. The soundsystem in my SLK230 and Mazda Miata before that were much better. I guess mine has the "standard" audio system. The sound just comes from the front speakers. I hear absolutely nothing from the back speakers unless I put my ear right up against the speaker. I asked the dealer if anything could be done to increase the output of the rearspeakers and he said there wasn't. Does anyone know of and mods that will get more sound from the rear speakers?

Any recommendations on where to look for wood trim replacements for the dash and glovebox, other than the dealer?

And lastly, is it pretty much a fact that the stubby antenna's commonly available on eBay just don't perform well enough to be useful?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Mel

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
I too am looking for answers, I guess most of the guys here have ordered their cars with top specs. It would be nice if, in addition to wood trim, I hope that someone can provide a resource for aluminum or other type inserts for the interior.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
melcox - 4/21/2005 2:16 PM

I'm extremely happy with my Launch Edition SLK350 however, the sound system is about as bad as I've ever heard. The soundsystem in my SLK230 and Mazda Miata before that were much better. I guess mine has the "standard" audio system. The sound just comes from the front speakers. I hear absolutely nothing from the back speakers unless I put my ear right up against the speaker. I asked the dealer if anything could be done to increase the output of the rearspeakers and he said there wasn't. Does anyone know of and mods that will get more sound from the rear speakers?

Any recommendations on where to look for wood trim replacements for the dash and glovebox, other than the dealer?

And lastly, is it pretty much a fact that the stubby antenna's commonly available on eBay just don't perform well enough to be useful?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Mel
I take it you have COMAND. In that case the HK upgrade is possible. It is also quite expensive.

I dont know about the trim. I was working on a car and it was really not to my liking. The plastic look painted in silver .... I agree .... it can be done a lot better but due to the complexity (for a trim) of the locking tabs on the glovebox section trim I cant see anyone making the same thing in wood for anything even similar to reasonable cost.

I wonder if someone is making it in carbon ?

Several people have tried to install the SL antenna on the SLK and it does fit. however you lose some of the functions. It was either unlocking by radio key or it was some of radio functions.

As far as I know .. it is still something you can get from Brabus until someone else releases it.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
miroj - 4/20/2005 7:49 AM

malibuite - 4/21/2005 12:14 AM

You may want to PM dvanlinge. He installed the wood trim in his car himself and it looks great.
Brown, Blue, Black and Silver .... only a man would think that was a great combination.
I am not a man [:X] and I was commenting on the appearance of the self-installed wood trim and not the overall color combination.

I have no idea if dvanlinge is a man or not (I referred to him as a "he" but really don't know) but if he/she is happy with the color combo why should anyone else care?[^]

BTW, the interior of my car with the wood trim is brown, red, black and silver. Is that any better[:I]

·
Registered
SLK 350 MT
148 Posts
The E-Bay antenna is just an aluminum stub with threads. With a little bit of K-Y it will fit perfectly in the butt of the jerk in Germany (Inovenda) foisting them on the public. I'm still waiting for PayPal to refund my money - going on 7 weeks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts