Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I am looking for some advice on how best to paint this growing problem. As you can see it is on the lower bumper area. There is no physical damage to the plastic (i.e. no impact marks or scoring). What I am trying to figure out is the best way to fix this large blemish.

I really do not want to take it to a body shop. This is an area that is not really at the top of the "eye candy" list but still is bothersome.

By the way, this is a 98 E320 Wagon, paint code is 744 Brilliant Silver Metallic.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
Wet-sanding the area with 2500 -3000 grit finishing paper, to remove all loose paint, paint primer and finish coat (with flex additive) blend finish paint to surrounding areas.

I would suggest this is not a DIY project as Grey paint (and especially metallic) is very difficult to match / blend

·
Premium Member
2002 CLK 430 Convt. '91 420 SEL, '80 240D, '93 190E Sportline,
1,569 Posts
Wet-sanding the area with 2500 -3000 grit finishing paper, to remove all loose paint, paint primer and finish coat (with flex additive) blend finish paint to surrounding areas.

I would suggest this is not a DIY project as Grey paint (and especially metallic) is very difficult to match / blend
That would have been my first reaction also. However, after reading how Buellwinkle did his on his website, I would DIY - especially on a 10 year old car. He used 180/320/600 grit. Read up on how he did his silver bumper successfully here:

Buellwinkle - Bumper Painting

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks good.

Looks like I will have to wait a little while though. We are into the humid season here in the Atlanta area.

The Bullwinkle link looks great. I will follow up on that.

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Have the entire bumper dropped and resprayed by a pro if you want a pro job. It doesn't cost much to do ($100 or so) and it will match the current faded paint color when complete.

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
Have a PRO do it, You will have a very tough time making it match, If there is no damage to the spot, Why did the paint peel off? If it just fell off, you better have the panel stripped!!! If you don't, it will start peeling somewhere else. If a local body shop will do it for less than $300 you will be LUCKY!! The price of the materials alone would be $150 or a little more, (if a body shop did it) If thats to much and you really don't care if its perfect, pick up a spray-bomb and give it a shot your self!!! Good Luck!!!!

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really do not know why the paint is peeling there. I do not see where I hit or anything hit me. It looks as if the paint just is giving up the ghost on a piece of plastic.

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,130 Posts
it hapens cuz its probably a factory [email protected]*k up! ya, i agre its probably going to happen in other spots in time. if you can spare the auto for a 5 dayer, then take the bumper off & take the clear off & sand it down for painting, ( this will probably be all you want to do, its a lot of work. your fingers will be thin!) then take it to a shop, 150 is all it should cost at this stage, dont let them charge more, they can do it for that. then install. you saved yourself 600

1 - 8 of 8 Posts