Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Note: I also posted this on the W124 forum, but thought I may get different opinions here!<br> <br> I wrecked my beloved 1984 300D this past weekend and need to make the agonizing decision as to whether to fix or scrap (separate post).<br> <br> I'm being talked into a 1988 300TE that has 92k miles, engine has been replaced with a 70k mile engine because the original engine's timing chain broke. Car looks OK--dash is badly cracked, wood on console is cracked, but the rest of the interior looks good--just a little bit dirty (nothing seems broken/missing). Body looks straight; a few dings; minor rubs on the bumper corners; paint looks vy good and all original. Tires are good. Rides/stops well. <br> <br> What are the *gotchas* on these types of cars? What should I look at before buying? Is $5k a fair price? What are the normal maintenance procedures and costs? Are they as reliable as a 300D? Ride? Insurance? Any and all information is appreciated. Thanks.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The 300 TE is not the car the 300 D is. You have all the 'usual' quirks that are involved with maintaining a gasoline engine. Lots and lots of electronics! Also, you have a rear load leveling system that can be VERY expensive if it needs repair. I had a 1988 300 TE that served well, but the seats were more narrow. The interior seemed cramped. Sunroof? Be sure its not stuck shut. It is electric. Cables are often broken. The automatic climate control is another issue. The air should be checked to make sure it blows cold. There is usually an oil leak at the right front of the valve cover. This can be a problem if you like a nice clean driveway. Since you have owned diesels, you know what to expect. $5,000 is a fair price if all checks out. The tranny is usually the first to go at 240,000 miles or more. Good luck!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ed,<br> <br> Thanks for the reply and the info. I'm unemployed (temporarily) so this couldn't have happened at a worse time. Still not sure what to do. All the points you mentioned were exactly what I'm afraid of: electronics that are expensive to repair (and impossible to diagnose/repair yourself). As the car only has 92k miles, and I need cheap but reliable transportation for only a year (hopefully, and then the market gets better--right?) I *may* go for the car. However, I'll wait for some additional advice before jumping on this. Thanks again.<br> <br> Man, I miss the 300D. See some nice ones on EBay (not in my area, tho').<br> <br> VTD

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A very good friend of mine found that fixing his 1983 240 D was still much less expensive that buying a newer car. The good part of owning these old diesels is that parts are quite readily available, and MB is glad to give you a break on some parts to get them out of their inventory. How bad is the 300?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, i went ahead and traded in the 300 D to my mechanic for an 89 300 E (W124). Has 155k miles and the top end was just totally rebuilt--mechanic vows it's as good as new. Engine and rest of drive train feel very tight; body has been repainted and looks fair-to-OK. I'm less concerned about that anyway...<br> <br> Not exactly sure what he's going to do with the 300 D--neither is he. Says if the motor IS still good, he'll rebuild the front end. Otherwise, he'll use it for parts. I know the engine is very good--guess he's concerned about damage from the accident (all the oil drained out in the hour or so after the accident, but I only had it running for a minute or so after the accident).<br> <br> I've definitely got buyer's remorse--I miss the diesel and its predictable reliability already. I live in DC and you can't drive a block without seeing an old D--they're everywhere--so I know it will stay on my mind. I'll see how this '89 E goes and expect I'll own another W123 in the future. Thanks for the info and sympathy.<br> <br>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.