Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
1982 300SD
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so Im currently very interested in a 1980 300SD that is for sale. This is not my first 80s Mercedes. I owned a 1982 300SD. I was very ignorant about cars when is bought it and I paid way too much for it. For about 8 months I poured money and time into it, trying to turn what was essentially a parts car into a daily driver. Anyways that car is sold now.

The 1980 300SD is in very good condition. The exterior is spotless except for a small dent on one of the doors. The interior is alright. All the wood trim is cracked, which seems to be very common. The front seats have tears in them. The A/C isn't working. My biggest concern, however, is the rear window seal. The rubber is slightly cracked, and I am pretty sure that water has gotten in to the carpeted area just under the window at some point. The carpet is very stiff and discolored. This is exactly the same problem I had on my 82. It is a rather expensive repair.

Oh and one last small thing. It is probably nothing, but I did want to ask you guys about it. The door for the fuel fill area is super rusted and gunky. Could this be a sign that the tank has fuel that has gone bad?

Ill include pictures of all the problem areas I talked about. The seller is asking about 7,600. This seems high to me considering how much money and labor I'm gonna have to put into it. But maybe I'm wrong. Im not super tuned into the market for these things. What do you guys think? Is this a fair price?

Car Vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover Fixture

front seats

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tread Synthetic rubber

rear window seal

Hood Wood Automotive design Automotive exterior Rectangle

the carpet under the window felt very stiff and as you can see is clearly water damaged

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Hood

fuel port. Again this may be nothing

I would really appreciate some advice from you guys. While I learned a lot from working on my 82, I'm still very ignorant to many things.

Registered
1985 500SEC (Grey market)
Waaaaay too much money for one of these with all of those issues. $7,600 should get you a nice 300SD, maybe with medium mileage (140k or so) but otherwise pretty good shape except for one or two small things. Run from this one

FWIW, I've never seen that much water damage, either.

EDIT: seems I didn't realize I was in the W116 section, and thought this was the W126 section 馃槵. Not sure what prices to expect for a 116, although I imagine this is still expensive

Registered
50 years of MB
I think the fuel door rust comes from the leaking window above it.

I agree that price seems high. There are much better examples out there.

just a quick look on allofcraigslist - seems much better and way less

broaden your search area and take your time you will find a good one!

Registered
1982 300SD
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the fuel door rust comes from the leaking window above it.

I agree that price seems high. There are much better examples out there.

just a quick look on allofcraigslist - seems much better and way less

broaden your search area and take your time you will find a good one!
Thanks for the reply. But how do I buy a car on craigslist that's on the other side of the country? I know I could have it shipped and still have spent considerably less than 7600 but is it wise to buy a car without test driving it or seeing it in person? how do I make sure I don't get burned?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.