Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know the best way to launch from a dead stop to get the best quarter mile time.
Manual shift with Traction control off to me does not seem as efficient as just leaving it in D with traction control ON and just nailing it letting the car leave with the traction light blinking a bit and let it shift to the next gear on its own.
I know the D method with T/C on is not as dramatic as the manual and T/C off but I'm looking for most efficient.
Please advise.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I feel that with the traction control on and just mashing the pedal from a dead stop the car has aweful pickup, due to the traction control kicking in, and limiting rear tire spin.

I find that with traction control off and in D, it will spin briefly when the pedal is mashed to the floor, but then it will launch. Or, with traction control off, doing a controlled launch to about 3000 rmp, then mash the pedal all the way to the floor.

Kevin

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks kev I was thinking that with the T/C off and leaving it in D that it might shift into second early from the RPM's associated with hard tire spin from a dead stop.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I haven't found mine shifting early. You will definitely get some tire spin though. But as I have learned in the short time I have had mine.....most of the cars I meet up with spin the tires as much or more, anyway.

Kev

·
Registered
2006 E55, 2005 SLK55, a few others
986 Posts
ESP must be off to get max power. If you have traction problems like me, [:D] roll into the throttle, but leave ESP off for the fastest runs. I haven't seen any advantage in manually shifting it.

·
Registered
Hertzmobile
536 Posts
Fast55 - 2/22/2005 6:46 PM

ESP must be off to get max power. If you have traction problems like me, [:D] roll into the throttle, but leave ESP off for the fastest runs. I haven't seen any advantage in manually shifting it.
What if my traction is much worse than yours? Then what? LOL[:D][:eek:)]

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ESP off it is... and I agree that manually shifting is no advantage and in fact if you don't time it perfect you can bump off the rev limiter going manual.
I wish I had the air packin option so I could feather out of the hole like f55 but I'll have to tough it out with my stocker.

·
Registered
986 Posts
James, if you have worse traction problems than me, you're parked without slicks!![:D]

·
Registered
986 Posts
Well, I'm not really into Grey Poupon, so I'm thinking the slicks are the way to go. Get the LSD in yet?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts