Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300D turbo
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a newer benz, w124 body, and I need some advice. I had a 123 300D for about 6 months when I was in hawaii, it was a great car, but was due for some mantenience and I was moving back to the mainland so I didn't keep it.

1. I'm wondering what to look out for with the diesels in the w124 when buying? 124 issues in general?

2. There is a 95 diesel local to me at for $7900, 180k on the clock. Are these non turbo engines good or should I be looking for an earlier turbo diesel model or 3.0L gas.?

3. Also, what can I expect in terms of yearly maintenance costs?

Thanks in advance, any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
W220
174 Posts
I think this is a good motor. Over at mercedesshop.com a fellow has over 300k miles on his. On mine, I have 110k miles and the car still drives like new.

Make sure all the service is up to date. It is very important that the fuel filters were done and all other preventative maintenace.

It is very important that the car has service records. If it hasnt been maintained well, I would walk away.

The idle should be around 650 RPM and there should be no smoke.

Please head over to mercedesshop.com and search "E300D" "OM606" "W124 diesel" etc...

ohh, the car wont be a rocket but it pulls its own weight[:)]

It makes 134 hp at 5000rpm or so and 155 ft tq between 2200 - 4600 rpm.
0-60 in about 12.5sec or so.

·
Registered
1995 E300 Diesel + 1998 E320-4Matic Sedan + 1999 CLK320-Cabriolet + 2004 E320-4Matic Sedan
26 Posts
OM606 is a straight-six, non-turbo.

As mentioned earlier, if you can get records, that is important. Plus, you can also take the VIN into a Benz dealership and ask them to check against the national database to see if it has had all the recalls taken care of.

No smoke is important, too -- but even this great engine puts out a little diesel haze. I've got 110K+ miles on mine, and it's always had a little bit of color at the tailpipe -- but it barely burns 1/2-quart of oil between changes (at 6K-to-7K intervals; and I usually don't even bother to top-it-off between changes).

I've owned a new W123 turbodiesel, a new W124 turbodiesel, a used W124 non-turbo diesel, a used W202 4-cylinder gas, and a used W210 V6-gas. The ONLY model I would ever buy again (not counting a brand-new W211, if I were to hit a lottery) would be the W124 1995 E300D. I might possibly consider a W210 1996-97 (non-turbo) E300D; I've test-driven a few of those, and they're damn nice.

I just don't see the real need to own a (M-B) turbodiesel anymore -- these mid-90's non-turbo's are just great, and they won't have any costs/problems associated with turbo hardware and/or electronics. Of course, the new-generation of M-B diesels is this CDI-based engine; who knows how that's going to turn out????

·
Registered
1985 300D turbo
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats good to hear, thanks for the advice. If the car is in good health, what are we talking about for yearly maintenence?

·
Registered
95 E300D
154 Posts
E300D 95 is a superb model especially the 24V non turbo engine M606. In the UK its the most sought after engine varient and very hard to get hold of.

Maintenance record is essential as with all models. My annual maintenance is fairly minimal , oil change every 9k miles, full service every 18k. Only regular failures are the glow plugs of which one goes about every 1-2 years but is a 2 hour job to replace and minimal parts cost.

The one area I have had problems is the aircon and the heating . Give it a thorough test out. Fault diagnosis can be difficult (see the many postings ) and if you arent doing it yourself expensive. Make sure you are happy with the pull down and that a steady temp is maintained in the cabin thereafter. also that on max heat to windscreen for defrost (if you ever need that)

Mine has done 170k miles and simply purrs along without one rattle or squeak, I am fully intending to run it to 300k plus and am very confident of this (many are used as taxis clocking 500k++). If the car has a good service record I wouldnt hesitate.

Keith[:)]

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 1995 E300D, 2002 Avalanche
1,485 Posts
Best MB we have ever owned. We service every 5k miles. Every other service includes the 2 fuel filters. Other than that the car needs nothing. We have 98k miles and the only problems have been the rear headrests wont retract.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts