Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I am new to this forum, but hope I came to stay.

I have the following question and hope I can get your feedback. I have been offered to buy a 1996 E280 which has been held in storage and only has 33.000 kms. Whilst the offer is very tempting and the price is excellent, I am wary of the implications of buying a car which has not been driven regularly for the past year (only 300 kms).

So what's your advice?

Thanks in advance,

Neka

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
what's the price? take it to an indie shop that works with mb's and get a good inspection from them. if they say the car is ok and if you like the price, then get it. that is probably the lowest mileage you will ever find on a 1996 w210.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
+1 with tirona. When you have it inspected, tell them to pay particular attention to the belts and hoses. If it's a good shop that should go without saying. 12 years is a pretty long time for "rubber" consumables. If you buy it I'd also change most, if not all, of the fluids and filters.

I think general wisdom states that a car not driven enough can be as bad as one with too many miles, but some of the issues differ. In other words, I think you are wise to be cautious.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
that's pretty good price for europe. even in the states that would be a good price considering the super low mileage. like musikmann said it would be smart to change the belts, fluids and filters. if the inspection goes through fine than i would say you got a good deal.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Another problem with this type of car sometimes, is that they have not been properly 'broken in'. That is, the driver may never have exceeded say 80Km/h and the engine has basically never gone over 2,000 RPM. So don't just get in and drive it flat-out from the beginning. Treat as a 'new' engine and gradually build up the speed/RPM over a few hundred kilometers. Maybe it would not be required, but it would not do any damage either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts