Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I currently have a 911 Turbo and an older (1998) ML320. Love the ML, but it's getting to 120K miles and was thinking of switching.

Question is should I get the ML350 or 500. Gas mileage is somewhat important but not a big deal unless there's a huge difference in the 2. Options wise I'd like to have xenons, navigation and satellite radio. Side question - if an ML doesn't come with xenons, nav or xm/sirius is it possible to retrofit without much effort?

What would you do? I'd ideally like to spend low 20s which is what I understand the ML350s are going for in auction. Is it worth the extra $5-8K to get the ML500. I understand these are going for mid to upper 20s in auction.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
610 Posts
First, you should find one with the options that you desire. that is usually the least painful route

Second, I think the 350 engine is based on a newer technology platform, while the 500 is based on an older tech platform. As you can see, the 500 has already been replaced by the 550

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Second, I think the 350 engine is based on a newer technology platform, while the 500 is based on an older tech platform. As you can see, the 500 has already been replaced by the 550
I agree. The 500 is a dated SOHC 3 valve per cylinder V8 with little extra horsepower considering the large displacement and mediocre fuel economy. In the used car market today, the 500 commands little or no price premium.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Have you considered the diesel ML? Loads of torque good mileage will tow almost anything etc. As far as retrofitting, almost anything can be done if you lay out the cash but that kind of defeats the idea of buying a used vehicle as it can be well into the thousands.depending on your approach

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haven't considered a diesel, but I think I'd be looking at about $10K more in the used market so would prefer to stick with the 350 or maybe 500.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts